Question about heating our practice space...

MykeyInChains

My band rents a spectacular practice space. We pay next to nothing. Hard wood floors, sound absorbent panels on the walls, 2 separate locked doors to get in and we can leave our equipment there year-round. The only drawback is the temperature in the winter. It can get pretty chilly. The coldest day of the winter last year, it got to about 45-50 degrees F in there, which is a bit extreme to be able to practice. The business below us has heat, but we are so insulated that not much makes it up to us. The landlord provides electricity and he said we could use heaters to make it tolerable. Id say the dimensions of the room are about 20 feet x 15 feet with maybe 12 ft high ceilings.

What do you think the best and quickest way of heating up the room is? A bunch of small space heaters? The high ceilings kinda make it difficult. I'm just curious what you folks would do. Thanks for the input.

A portable electric heater with a fan built into it is the least expensive solution for your situation. You can find them at most home improvement centers.
If you want to have both heat and air cond, There are portable units that do both. $300 to $500 range for heat and AC. You can find them on ebay also. Installing a ceiling fan in the room will also help to move the heat around the room. Ceiling fans are inexpensive and easy to install.
http://www.nextag.com/air-conditioner-heater-portable/shop-html
http://www.edenpurestore.com/

Last edited:
The biggest problem I see is the height of the ceiling. Since heat rises what ever you do is going to go to the ceiling quickly. I would suggest arranging your practice set up in a circle with two or three oscillating space heaters in the middle blowing out. I have one in my Florida room where I spend most of my time for those few weeks of chilly weather we get here in Florida. They aren't that expensive and if the landlord will absorb the extra electrical use they are the answer.

Attachments

• base_media.jpg
    base_media.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 78
Back