Dave Grohl

Playing technical and busy is great and all but the question I always ask myself is, "does it fit the music? does it have the right feel?"...

Too many drummers get caught up in trying to play fancy, like they feel the need to show off for some reason. Gives me a sense of insecurity.
If what they were playing fit the song, great, but most of the time it does not.
Just sounds like a drum solo laid on top of a guitar riff.

Dave gets my respect for playing for the song. Simple, powerful, and with the right feel.
He is a good musician.

the first song i ever learned to play was "come as you are" and he is my main insperation in drums.Not only is he a kick ass drummer hes a cool guy too.If you wanna see something funny watch the all dreses version of "in bloom" its on nirvanaclub.com its hilarious.

giantantreal said:
Dave Grohl = Not only good thing about nirvana
Dave Grohl = Horrid guitarist
Dave Grohl = Generic vocalist
Dave Grohl = Overrated drummer

i am with this man, he is a talented to be able to play all these instruments, but he plays them so poorly, his drumming is poor, in the songs he drums for, he uses no fills and nothing interesting, leaving the piece feeling empty. his guitaring is awful, i am in a band and 1 of my guitarists have been playing for about 1 year! not long, but he can play every single foo fighters song. so he has a gud voice but everything else he is crap at, happy arguing craig

not often i get to say this on a forum but you're wrong. i can't agree with you on that at all. his drumming is not poor, you just haven't listened to much of his stuff. his guitar skills may not be incredible, but judging by how long he's been playing "crap" is hardly going to be correct. you seem to have forgotten the golden rule of being a musician. play for the song, not for yourself.

i must be mistaken about his guitar skills, sorry! but his drummnig isnt excellent, on drummerworld the only pieces on his profile are 2 songs, and in them 2 songs he makes the piece sound empty, using no fills, and thew main reason i find his drumming dissapointing is because, the main part of drumming is to add in technical routines, this he does not use in the piece.

thats true. listen to the rest of that queens of the stone age album and it'll sound better. that song was mainly impressive speed. as for nirvana, smells like teen spirit is again not his best work with them. he also drummed on the first 2 foo fighters albums.

drummercraig said:
i must be mistaken about his guitar skills, sorry! but his drummnig isnt excellent, on drummerworld the only pieces on his profile are 2 songs, and in them 2 songs he makes the piece sound empty, using no fills, and thew main reason i find his drumming dissapointing is because, the main part of drumming is to add in technical routines, this he does not use in the piece.

Hang on, the main purpose of drumming is to show off your chops? Are you kidding? Dave is a great groove drummer, and the fact that he doesn't throw in fills every four bars is a nice demonstration of the fact that he's very good at understanding song shape and structure. When Dave does a fill it usually needs to be there, it's not just showing off.

drummercraig said:
i am with this man, he is a talented to be able to play all these instruments, but he plays them so poorly, his drumming is poor, in the songs he drums for, he uses no fills and nothing interesting, leaving the piece feeling empty. his guitaring is awful, i am in a band and 1 of my guitarists have been playing for about 1 year! not long, but he can play every single foo fighters song. so he has a gud voice but everything else he is crap at, happy arguing craig

This a great way to measure talents of rock musicians who make multi-platinum recordings each time they make a record. Your guitarist who has been playing guitar for a year can play 3- chord rock... Wow amazing. Listen up, Dave Grohl plays rock music. He isn't leading an orchestra. Last time I checked rock was about playing your instrument loud and having a good time. Also when does rock drumming have to be about fills? Most good rock drummers know when to lay back and keep the beat. Think Phil Rudd of ACDC. Rock for the most part isn't about improvisation. Another thing, what's wrong with Dave's voice? He sings in key doesn't he? Your arguments are not very convincing. You may not like Dave Grohl and that's fine. However, he is a very respected and talented musican with a lot of accomplishments. He didn't get where he is today because he isn't talented.

drummercraig said:

woaaaaaah.

where did you ever get that impression about drumming?

as different as they are stylistically, the dave grohl / ringo starr comparison that has already been made is a very fair one. both are dismissed for the same reason - too much musicality! too much awareness of the song! ridiculous.

dave grohl is a fantastic drummer who redefined what it meant to be a rock drummer in the mainstream by harkening back to the traditions of john bonham. you want a heavy, pounding drum rhythm? then hit the #%@ing drums - hard! no amount of compression or studio editing can take away the fact that he beat the heck out of those drums. but only when it made sense - as was also already mentioned, he has some of the most tasteful playing i've ever heard on the unplugged album.

as a guitarist and a vocalist - he is a phenomenal songwriter. he is a more than competent guitarist, even if he's not the greatest thing to happen to the instrument. and he's an amazing vocalist - his voice is perfect for the style, he sings every song with conviction, and the dude can SCREAM.

all of that may be overcompensating for the dismissal i've been seeing in this thread. but the fact is - the guy can play. give credit where credit is due. if you had the chance to play with him, you would.

Damn, can't you have an opinion without getting mangled, if he doesn't like Dave Grohls drumming, let him do that.

I don't like him either. Personally, I think that he is a lame drummer.

Jalmar said:
Damn, can't you have an opinion without getting mangled, if he doesn't like Dave Grohls drumming, let him do that.

If your going to state an opinion for your dislike of a drummer, back it up. Lame is not a very descriptive adjective for drumming.

Jalmar said:

You can have an opinion. Others can have the opinion that your opinion is incorrect and based on some silly assumptions about music. Both are quite welcome to be expressed.

Look Dave grohl can play two instruments but he said in an interview that Drums were his first love and he loves playing music. He said he's happy to have become a simple drummer when he first started out. He Still comes up with some amazing stuff I mean I can't stop listening to queens of the stone age songs for the deaf because Dave Grohl on that album is absolutely AMAZING!! even Queens said that he was the best drummer they have ever seen and jammed with and Queens have played with many drummers for so many years now! And he can play guitar pretty well to. I need good concert footage of Dave on Drums it could be any band But I've seen a lot of nirvana footage already. so if anyone knows a site with concert footage of dave on the drums Tell Me!

Superlow said:
If your going to state an opinion for your dislike of a drummer, back it up. Lame is not a very descriptive adjective for drumming.

I think it is quite descriptive, he has not specific signature style, no feeling in his playing and now that Nirvana exists no more, he nourishes himself on the former reputation as their drummer and when he started Foo Fighters, he decimated the whole image of himself because of the fact that the music they are bringing is tasteless and macabre.

And also, he tried a futile attempt to play for Queens of the Stonage and where did that lead him, nowhere.

nursingdrummer said:
the guy can sing, play guitar, and is asked to play drums for just about everyone out there.... including Tom Petty......hats off to ya Dave!

screeeeeeeeeeech...Tom Petty has only ever had TWO drummers, and neither of them were named Dave Grohl. (Unless Dave played for Tom OUTSIDE of the Heartbreakers)

Dave Grohl has some very good drum tracks on the Tenacious D album. The one thing I don't like about Dave is he plays the same things over and over, whether its Nirvana, QOTSA, Tenacious D, etc.

Steve Ferrone is a modern day classic, btw.

Jalmar said:
I think it is quite descriptive, he has not specific signature style, no feeling in his playing and now that Nirvana exists no more, he nourishes himself on the former reputation as their drummer and when he started Foo Fighters, he decimated the whole image of himself because of the fact that the music they are bringing is tasteless and macabre.

And also, he tried a futile attempt to play for Queens of the Stonage and where did that lead him, nowhere.
he was invited to play on an album and had no intention of going back to the drums. his first love is drums he states, but it is clear from his actions over the years that he is putting most of his work into the foo fighters. it's not his fault if he's famous for nirvana, and if he used that fame to promote the foos i say good on him, he earned it. your opinion of the foo fighters music is your own, so i won't argue.

Back