Getting in a band with older musicians

howidied

Hey, do you think there could be a problem if a young lad like me (im 18) gets in band with older people? Like not that I mind playing with older people but musically could it become an obstacle like in opinions etc. Im going to audition to a band where there 2 26 y olds and 36 y old guy. is there anyone out there with similar experience?

You can't drink and you might not get into certain clubs/bars in which you are supposed to play.

Since when did 26 become "older"? Man, I feel ancient!

But, seriously,Zickos has a good point about getting into clubs.

On the other hand, if the club thing isn't an obstacle, then this could be a great opportunity for learning from more experienced players. I have not been in this situation but if it looks like there is a chance of your getting into this band, then I would take a few minutes and sit with them, see what their goals are, how they operate and what they would expect from you. Find out as much as you can up front and see if you're compatible. If your visions don't match up, it's okay to turn it down and look for something that suits you better. I don't think it's necessarily an age thing as long as everyone is headed in the same direction and knows where that is from the start. Just keep an open mind.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

My career started with playing with the earlier generation, and I don't think your situation is that different. Usually, if you're in your pre-20s, I don't notice a difference in people until they get past their 30s. So you guys might have all the same life experiences anyway ;)

It might not even be physical age, either. If the guys in their 20s have kids, and the guy in his 30s doesn't, he might still be the partier while the younger ones get home to be with the family. That's when you start seeing differences in life opinions and such. However, that said, if the music is good, and you guys are all cool with each other, there shouldn't be a big problem.

Alot of young people I know don't realize that the time spent on the bandstand with the guys is actually very short when compared with traveling together or hanging out. One thing I tend to do is go easy on the hanging out part and try to be as professional as possible. If there's a rehearsal, then I'm there. If they want to have a social party, I might not be there until we've had alot of gigs done (could take months). I just like to conduct business and make sure that part is taken care of. If the band is a business to make money, then I make sure that's happening before I start letting my nose get into somebody else's business - otherwise, there's no point.

Take the gig and keep your opinions to yourself, You could learn a lot, and if it gets miserable then walk away. After having given 2 weeks notice, of course.

Take the gig and keep your opinions to yourself, You could learn a lot, and if it gets miserable then walk away.

Agreed.

As a youngster I played with quite a few older guys when I got the chance to. Some of the best learning curves I've ever been on. Keep your eyes and ears open and your head down and I'll guarantee you'll learn a trick or two.

I'm with Mary, since when is 26 old?

I dunno. When I was 24, I was doing gigs with guys in their 40s.
As long as you can play the material, that's what matters.

Take the gig. That happened to me, and I learned a lot from it. I was 20, the next closest was 28, then 31 and 36. Listen, play, get understanding of the band and how it operates...all that stuff.
There's a chance that some of your bandmembers have gone through some things musically that you might not have to...things that they've been burned on and know to avoid. Learning stuff like that can be valuable. It also gives you an opportunity to see someone leading a band [since it likely won't be you, the youngest and newest member] and how their decisions affect the group.
You're younger, so prepare to hear that a lot. Build a skin so it doesn't bother you. Forge ahead with what you're doing [learning musical life experiences] and let the other guys do what they're doing. At time goes by your opinions will hold more weight. It'll require a serious amount of team player focus for them to accept you into it, but that's a good challenge in and of itself.
I would take the gig.

When I was younger (20 years back...ish) I was heard drumming up in my bedroom where I lived by a geezer twice my age who knocked on the door and asked if I fancied going 'jamming' with him and his pals.

Turns out these pals were three fellers and a lass who were a Shadows tribute band.

If i'd known that beforehand there would have been no way I would have turned up (The Shadows !!!!! Jeeeeezus)....

But I played in that band for about a year until college got to demanding and really enjoyed it. Just jamming..I was already in another band....these guys never intended gigging....it was just a Sunday afternoon hobby for them which fit basically into my schedule.

It opened my mind, brought maturity to my attitude (they were very professional), and introduced me to a genre of music which I really grew to love.

Don't regret a second of it (other then that first moment when they turned to me, having just set my kit up, and said "right...apache then".....hahaha

I was 17 when I joined my first gigging club band and the others were older than me by 8, 15 & 20 years. We played Top 40 Country and worked all the time making great money. They had all the contacts since they had been in the business a while and I learned so many lessons it was incredible.

That was 28 years ago and many of the lessons apply today.

I'm 26 and play with a group of 60+ year old guys. There is 40 years between me and the youngest. It doesn't get in the way of the music and their sense of humour is more childish than mine most of the time.

I'm 19, the youngest in my band. Our bassist is 24, lead player is 26, singer is 27. We get on fine. It depends on the people, really. I also get into the bars no problem, they won't mess with you if you're in the band, though if your age comes up, of course they will refuse to serve you.

great opinions you guys, im happy to know im not the only one with this deciding. :)

in 2 hours im gonna be playing with them gotta warm up till then, wish me luck so I get those sextuplet swiss army triplets paradiddle-diddle fills tight :D hehe :D

well in my country i can driink since 18 so link in less tan 4 months hehe :D

and im a 6 feet 5 inches 235 muscle monster so im not gonna get cra...d on my head hehe :D :D

When I started seriously playing professionally, when I was 26, the first two bands I joined had members over twice my age in them. What I've found out over the years is that for every ambitious "younger" musician, there are a dozen or so "seasoned" musicians who can actually find and get gigs. In music, experience is really key, and playing with some people who have been there and done that will be good for you, both music-wise AND business-wise...

Any time you get two, three, or four (or more) people together in one room, it's all a crap shoot. Do the audition and see what happens. The complexity of the human animal is extreme. You never know if you're all gonna get along until you try. Give it a go, and get back to us .....​

I went there, it went pretty smooth, they appointed me to learn their songs by next week so im gonna do taht until my head explodes hehe. theyre really good musicians all playing 13+ years. think we will get along

In defense of the OP, he said older, not old. there could be some minor issues but the gap you mention is not great. Ask the guys up front before the audition and find out early. Some 18 year olds act 14 so if that is you stay home, but I don't see an issue with the group you mention, other than Zickos comment.

Back