Drumming Idiosyncrasies

Oh yeah, here's another of mine- If someone sits in and uses my sticks I'll give them that pair because I don't want their DNA. :D They've sweat all over my sticks and now the sticks are no longer good for me.

Sorry, BillyRay, but that is really anal. I feel the same way about public bathroom door handles. What about your yard tools or socket wrenches and screwdrivers?

I'm not sure what I'm idiosyncratic about. I do like to play in sandals, but it's more out of habitually wearing sandals than anything.

I used to think I had to have my sticks wrapped, and I wrapped them for nearly 25 years. I've torn down that wall a couple years ago.

I do like to empty most of the stuff out of my pockets before I play. Right into the stick bag so I know where it's at.

Well... I'm kinda analytic... that starts with "anal" so there's that... :D

Here's the deal- sticks were once living things (tree) and they contain energy. When I grab the stick and begin to use it, rather than thinking of it as a striking instrument I'd rather envision it as a tactile probe connected to my brain. So when someone else's DNA gets onto my stick, their skin flakes, sweat, grit, what they had for dinner, that booger they were just picking on their finger that I saw them do when they were waiting to sit in... they wiped it on their pants...sometimes they eat it but I'm not one to judge...

Yeah, that stuff kinda freaks me right out. Hey, at least I know I'm weird.

Sorry, BillyRay, but that is really anal. I feel the same way about public bathroom door handles. What about your yard tools or socket wrenches and screwdrivers?

I'm not sure what I'm idiosyncratic about. I do like to play in sandals, but it's more out of habitually wearing sandals than anything.

I used to think I had to have my sticks wrapped, and I wrapped them for nearly 25 years. I've torn down that wall a couple years ago.

I do like to empty most of the stuff out of my pockets before I play. Right into the stick bag so I know where it's at.

Last edited:
Well... I'm kinda analytic... that starts with "anal" so there's that... :D

Here's the deal- sticks were once living things (tree) and they contain energy. When I grab the stick and begin to use it, rather than thinking of it as a striking instrument I'd rather envision it as a tactile probe connected to my brain. So when someone else's DNA gets onto my stick, their skin flakes, sweat, grit, what they had for dinner, that booger they were just picking on their finger that I saw them do when they were waiting to sit in... they wiped it on their pants...sometimes they eat it but I'm not one to judge...

Yeah, that stuff kinda freaks me right out. Hey, at least I know I'm weird.

That's an interesting way to look at it. I've never thought about it, but now you got me freaked out.

Have you ever wondered what make so habitually argumentative?

You title your post (root word) Idiosyncrasy (which means odd) and you list some of your's, and you are trying to tell me it is not odd?

Sea kelp

Your first sentence makes no sense. Who or what is habitually argumentative?

Idiosyncrasy means an unusual way in which a person behaves or thinks. It has to do with behavior, not necessarily oddity. A three armed person is odd, but not an idiosyncrasy.

I said it must not be THAT odd, meaning the behavior is pretty common from reading other posts. If it was unique to me, then yes it would be odd.

I knew a guy, back in the day, that when he played drums, he had to be wearing his girlfriend's panties. I'll just leave it at that. ;-)

That's a form of abuse right there :)

Seriously, now you must offer full disclosure. There is no "leaving it at that" here, I think there's even a forum rule that states such. So c'mon Mister, spill it. Don't make me get out the waterboard lol.

Oh wait, it was you, right?

At first I thought that was weird, but then I realized that I can't drum without my capon.

Only because you're too chicken.

I knew a guy, back in the day, that when he played drums, he had to be wearing his girlfriend's panties. I'll just leave it at that. ;-)

I want to know how you know this.

I'm with you on these. My wedding ring is Navajo and handcrafted from silver, which is a relatively soft metal. So drumsticks, mic stands, cymbal stands, etc, do not contact it while on a gig. I leave it at home. Ditto for the pocket stuff and watch, too. I dump them on the floor next to my throne, including my cell phone. Though word to the wise, make sure your phone isn't too close to any beverages which might accidentally spill, as was the case the other nite, when my vocal mic stand toppled it.

I might have to try the water shoes idea.
Nothing in pockets
Hat for catching sweat
Used to wear gloves years ago. Haven't recently but I have been focusing on lossening my grip and I am beginning to drop sticks more often. So I might try the gloves again.
I think watches and key chains etc do not belong on the stage for anyone.
Same with trucker style hats.

Back