I don't think Pinstripes suck...

SgtThump

Platinum Member
My Ludwigs are bigger size drums that resonate like crazy. I've always had a hard time keeping them under control, so I put some coated Pinstripes on the toms. I personally think they sound killer on this kit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-TkXCmINPE

Very deep and powerful with just the right amount of "control."

Thoughts?

Chris

They sound very good. I bought my classic maples back in 04, and I used coated pinstripes for awhile. I haven't used them since, but they were good. As always, if you like them, then that's what counts. Nice drums and cymbals.

That's because Pinstripes DON'T suck, lol. Some people are just kind of purists (or snobs) and don't think anybody needs anything other than a single-ply head and maximum resonance for any situation.

The reality is, different people, different situations, and different drums can call for different heads.

Glad you like the sound you're getting. That's the bottom line.

Pinstripes are great! Although I do think single ply heads are the most versatile (yes I'm one of "those guys"), as you can always dampen a single ply to control it, but you can't liven up a pre-dampened head, However if they work for you and your drums and sound, then that's great too!

I Luv pinstripes .I just posted about them i little while back..Got the wise guys saying i guess i dont know how to tune.......

I Luv pinstripes .I just posted about them i little while back..Got the wise guys saying i guess i dont know how to tune.......

Yeah, that's why I joked about "snobs." I can't figure out why people would assume you can't tune just because you prefer a different sound than they prefer.

It's kind of amusing, really.

Pinstripes are great! Although I do think single ply heads are the most versatile (yes I'm one of "those guys"), as you can always dampen a single ply to control it, but you can't liven up a pre-dampened head, However if they work for you and your drums and sound, then that's great too!

I definitely know what youre saying! I think it just depends on the drums (obviously.) These drums are sooooooo resonant, that they needed more than just a moongel. My opinion anyway!

Very nice sound. I will also let Anthony know you stole his hat.

At the end of the day, you put the heads you feel are the best suited for your taste and sound, the rest is irrelevant IMO, you are playing your kit, so you might as well enjoy what you're hearing from them.

I used Pinstripes for over twenty years. Then I bought some in the 90s, and I could not get the drums to sound good. So, I switched to Evans. Pinstripes are good heads, but I am now using single-ply batter heads. Peace and goodwill.

Back