DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-20-2018, 03:56 AM

Default Recommend a boom mike stand. They're letting me sing lol

We kicked out the singer. She was gaslighting us for months.
So now vox are going to be shared between the guitarist and myself.

Anyone have a setup that they could recommend? How about headset mikes?
Used to sing when I played guitar, so it can't be too hard.

Can it?!?
Old 10-20-2018, 04:14 AM

Default Re: Recommend a boom mike stand. They're letting me sing lol

I don't recommend a headset mic. I sing leads often and used one for about a year, then switched to a boom stand/mic. The problem with a headset is modulating the volume of your voice. Even when setting a gate, i found myself being distracted by trying to affect the volume of my voice. It's soooo much easier to back off a mic when hitting a crescendo.

Plus, I left the headset live once and went to the restroom on a break. Hilarity ensued
Old 10-20-2018, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member

I use an old mic stand our bass player gave me, with a counterweight on the boom, a weighted round base and a 10-pound weight from a dumbbell added on. I have found that the best thing for me is to extend the boom overhead, and I have a gooseneck coming off the boom that I can move to wherever I need it. Without the weights on the base the whole thing would topple quite readily.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:01 PM
Silver Member

everything Rotarded said is true. I sing lead and backup, and I always like to use my classic Shure SM58 and a boom stand when there is space.

I have a headset mic I use at home, and they are cool, but annoying. You get to find out if you are a heavy breather when playing. You also lose the ability to modulate your voice as mentioned before. Don't swear when you drop a stick mid song,or clip a knuckle on something. lol

Tama make some pretty high end mic stands, if you want to go with a 'drummer's' mic stand. lol
Old 10-20-2018, 04:29 PM
Silver Member

I like K&M mic stands, specifically the 259 model. I like that the boom itself is telescopic.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:12 PM
Silver Member

I avoid headset mics because they pick up everything including coughs. I just use a cheap boom mic stand. I carry two mic stands just in case one breaks during a gig. The cheap stands keep breaking, I keep fixing them. So I recommend buying quality, maybe over USA $ 50, a heavier duty stand.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:13 AM
Platinum Member

Any boom stand will do the job, get something you can swivel the mic in and out of your face fairly easily.

Mic wise anything SM58 or equivalent quality. Wireless mics are too big, headsets intrude into your on stage privacy.

You can pay however much you feel. They're not made as well as they used to be so will get road knocks really easily.

My folks used to used the Valan Atlas stands which are really sought after nowadays, you could go to war with one of these things. They left it behind in a house move. They do still make em but they cost a bit!

http://www.rcistarlite.com/wide/ms/p...l/history.html
Old 10-22-2018, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member

Pretty much any mic stand will do, but I do recommend a telescopic boom. This is really handy when you’re squeezed into a tight corner and a full length boom hits the wall behind you. Its really handy to make the boom shorter some times.

The other useful thing is a right angle xlr plug (female) on your mic lead. It gets the cable at the back of the mic away from your hihat.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

If there's room behind you, I've had great experience using a boom stand that comes in over my head and a 50s-style mic (such as the Shure SH55) attached to a gooseneck. Keeps everything away from my hands, and I never have to lean over to sing into it.
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2018, 08:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
If there's room behind you, I've had great experience using a boom stand that comes in over my head and a 50s-style mic (such as the Shure SH55) attached to a gooseneck. Keeps everything away from my hands, and I never have to lean over to sing into it.
THIS is the best way to go. This is what I ended up with after wrestling with falling booms for several decades. The most important element is attaching your boom and downward extension to a HEAVY mic stand. I now use the Atlas MS25 Air Suspension stand. Expensive, but it will last a lifetime.

GeeDeeEmm

Atlas Ms25:
Old 10-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I use an old mic stand our bass player gave me, with a counterweight on the boom, a weighted round base and a 10-pound weight from a dumbbell added on. I have found that the best thing for me is to extend the boom overhead, and I have a gooseneck coming off the boom that I can move to wherever I need it. Without the weights on the base the whole thing would topple quite readily.
Thanks for saving me the effort of typing ^. :)

I cut the back end of the boom off because it interferred with some gear so the counterweight became vary important and the round base saves critical floor space. The extra weight sounds like a great idea!
Old 10-23-2018, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

I use just a simple boom over my left shoulder with an SM58.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:31 PM
Pioneer Member

I also vote for no headset. I used one for about a year. Turning them off when you need to is a pain. Need to back off for a high note or even a cough? Nope. And imo I looked stupid haha.

Atlas sound makes a heavy round base for their stands, it will support any telescopic boom you have on there.

If you're consistent at singing directly into the mic the SM57 is a good choice because of its tight pickup pattern.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:28 AM
Gold Member

Another vote for the SM57. I built a cable for mine with a 90 degree XLR so that the cable will snug against the boom arm with no loop to catch on a wayward drumstick, then I secure the cable with velcro straps.

GeeDeeEmm
Old 10-24-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
Another vote for the SM57. I built a cable for mine with a 90 degree XLR so that the cable will snug against the boom arm with no loop to catch on a wayward drumstick, then I secure the cable with velcro straps.

GeeDeeEmm
I use this connector as well along with this 7" extension on the boom. Big difference.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2018, 05:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebonn View Post
I use this connector as well along with this 7" extension on the boom. Big difference.
Yep. That's exactly what I've been trying to describe - perhaps clumsily. My point is that the most essential part of the equation is the mic stand. The base must be HEAVY. As drummers, we will be moving the boom around and out of the way, not to mention stumbling over it as we squeeze into and out of the pilot's seat. A heavy mic stand, such as the Atlas MS25 will not budge under any circumstances.

GeeDeeEmm
Old 10-24-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
This is the magic setting right here. Mine goose necks around the side of my head rather than over, but it's the same in principle.

As I play standing up in my rockabilly group, a straight stand with a boom head works well.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

If you want lightweight and portability SAMSON MK10, I have a bunch. Well built/designed, they are painted and the paint eventually fails, but they're cheap and they fit in a gig bag and super light. I bought a slew on sale a new years ago for $15 ea, they'e $20 now, but best mic stand for $20 you'll ever see, not garbage like ON-STAGE.

The clip nut is peened to the tube, but only two large hits as opposed to 4 smaller strikes, better hold and I've never had a clip bolt spin on one to date. When the finish ages, relegate it to parts, its only $20
Old 10-25-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I'm gonna try the dumbell weight thing... I use mine in the same manner, with a gooseneck hanging down to give my left hand more room. Some of the places we play are pretty tight space wise, so it doesn't always work. I like the idea tho, it should help.

I also agree with the post above re headsets. I need to be able to back off the mic whn I get louder, plus on some songs I like to come into the mic after getting my pitch (on the trickier harmony parts).
Old 10-25-2018, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
I'm gonna try the dumbell weight thing... I use mine in the same manner, with a gooseneck hanging down to give my left hand more room. Some of the places we play are pretty tight space wise, so it doesn't always work. I like the idea tho, it should help.
I've had no problems making it work either direction no matter the size of the stage. The trick is to go up and over instead of to one side whenever possible.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I've had no problems making it work either direction no matter the size of the stage. The trick is to go up and over instead of to one side whenever possible.
The "behind me" part is where i sometimes run into issues, I move myself as far back into corners as possible, and some stage configurations just won't let me get the stand behind me. So off to my left it is! Tho it is similar to the way you show it, and I can usually make it work.

Now if I can find one of the dumbell weights for that set that my kid just "had to have" and hasn't since seen much use :)
Old 10-30-2018, 07:09 PM

I use both headset andd boom cause I just can't make up my mind> I love the abilty to drum freely with the headst, but backup vocals and belting notes make it a bit of a challenge. I lead sing 75% of our stuff and when I get to certain notes it will rattle the windows. For headset I have a Crown, (the best) and a Shure. For boom singing I use a condensor mike and love being able to work behind and around it. It just seems to take up a lot of room and in the places we play room is at a premium!