Brighter than Evans HD Dry, but with same control?

BigDinSD

Gold Member
I just slapped an Evans HD dry on my DW Collectors 14 x 5.5 snare and tuned tight! Nice crack and no excess ringing! Cool sound and tones.

Thought it would do the same for my 13 x 6.5 Tama Artwood maple custom. It did remove the overtones and ringing but took much of the brightness out of it. A little dull, bland?

Can anyone suggest a snare batter head that will control the overtones and ringing like the HD Dry, but still provide some brightness?
The Tama Artwood came with a studio control ring for the Power Center Reverse Dot, so I assume that ringing is "expected" here.

I don't want to use any moongel or control rings on the next head.

Thanks!

I actually like the Evans Power Center Reverse Dot head. It has very little dampening effect and it won't dry your snare out as much as the Heavy Duty Dry. I use the Power Center Reverse Dot on five of my snares which also includes the Tama Artwood 14" x 51/2" snare. The other snares have either Evans G1 or Remo Ambassador batter heads.

The sound you get from a drum/head combination is greatly influenced by the tuning.

Dennis

I actually like the Evans Power Center Reverse Dot head. It has very little dampening effect and it won't dry your snare out as much as the Heavy Duty Dry. I use the Power Center Reverse Dot on five of my snares which also includes the Tama Artwood 14" x 51/2" snare. The other snares have either Evans G1 or Remo Ambassador batter heads.

The sound you get from a drum/head combination is greatly influenced by the tuning.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis!

Funny how I actually missed that tone when I changed to the HD Dry. I like it kinda tight, but without the ringing. How do you have yours tuned? Is your reso looser? Do you have to deal with any ringing?

Thanks for the input!

Thanks Dennis!

Funny how I actually missed that tone when I changed to the HD Dry. I like it kinda tight, but without the ringing. How do you have yours tuned? Is your reso looser? Do you have to deal with any ringing?

Thanks for the input!

I actually have my reso snare heads tuned pretty tight. This also helps a lot with sympathetic vibrations getting the snare drum to speak at a slightly higher pitch. I tune the batter medium to high depending on the type of music I'm playing, I really have very little ringing in the odd harmonics. I keep both the bottom head and the batter head in tune with themselves which eliminates much of that.

Dennis

I actually have my reso snare heads tuned pretty tight. This also helps a lot with sympathetic vibrations getting the snare drum to speak at a slightly higher pitch. I tune the batter medium to high depending on the type of music I'm playing, I really have very little ringing in the odd harmonics. I keep both the bottom head and the batter head in tune with themselves which eliminates much of that.

Dennis

Cool. Let me grab that tuning key and turn her over. I forgot to even consider tightening up the reso. I'll at least match it to the batter head.

A buddy of mine took his Artwood with the original Pwr Cent R. Dot head and perforated holes around the edge (like the HD Dry). Wierd, but it actually sounded pretty nice and toned down the ringing.

Maybe I'll also grab a needle while I'm at it!

You're not gonna get a who;e lot brighter than the genera HD. I'd try some different tuning. Tight on batter and reso, and snares all the way tightened. That should do it.

If not consider a brighter reso head? (The genera hd is the brightest batter you'll get without a lot of ring) The resonant glass head is Evans brightest reso head. It says it's meant for tom reso, but you can use it on snare and it will be fine.
If you want to go with one of there snare resos, then the Hazy 200 is the next brightest.

They're just putting labels on stuff though, you can use a tom reso for a snare reso, works fine.

That's the brightest most controlled setup I can think of... Genera HD on top, Resonant Glass on bottom, tuned tight, and tightened snares all the way.

You're not gonna get a who;e lot brighter than the genera HD. I'd try some different tuning. Tight on batter and reso, and snares all the way tightened. That should do it.

If not consider a brighter reso head? (The genera hd is the brightest batter you'll get without a lot of ring) The resonant glass head is Evans brightest reso head. It says it's meant for tom reso, but you can use it on snare and it will be fine.
If you want to go with one of there snare resos, then the Hazy 200 is the next brightest.

They're just putting labels on stuff though, you can use a tom reso for a snare reso, works fine.

That's the brightest most controlled setup I can think of... Genera HD on top, Resonant Glass on bottom, tuned tight, and tightened snares all the way.

I was going to go with the Hazy 300, since I was changing wires over to the Puresound Custom Pro Steel wires. Musician's Friend is including the Hazy 300 with a purchase of the Puresounds. Hopefully bright enough?

So not the Genera HD DRY, but just the HD?

I was going to go with the Hazy 300, since I was changing wires over to the Puresound Custom Pro Steel wires. Musician's Friend is including the Hazy 300 with a purchase of the Puresounds. Hopefully bright enough?

What reso do you have on now?
If you already have a bright reso, than you'll want to go even brighter with the Hazy 200 or Glass Resonant. But if you have a darker reso then the hazy 300 may be bright enough.
so.... what reso?

Also I was referring to the dry the whole time. Dry or non-dry won't really affect pitch, dry will just be less sustain, more controlled.

I have been using genera dry on my steel snare and my maple snare. The steel is just dry and clean sounding but the maple lost it's great POP untill I tuned up a bit. Got it back without the ring. I like it. The HD is a two ply head that is said to be brighter but I have not had one so dont know.

What reso do you have on now?
If you already have a bright reso, than you'll want to go even brighter with the Hazy 200 or Glass Resonant. But if you have a darker reso then the hazy 300 may be bright enough.
so.... what reso?

Also I was referring to the dry the whole time. Dry or non-dry won't really affect pitch, dry will just be less sustain, more controlled.

Thanks for clarifying the "Dry" feature. I have the stock Hazy 300 on it still. As others suggested, I tuned both batter and reso tighter, and managed a little bit more brightness.

I guess it seems I may have the best head for my current needs. Maybe just keep fine tuning?

I am thinking of switching over to the Puresouind Custom Pro Steel wires - a MF special includes a free Hazy 300. If I added the Puresounds, probably would run with the Hazy 300.

I haven't yet determined the value of adding the Puresounds. They seem to make my DW collectors snare sound nicer, but the difference was subtle. DW's already come with nice strainers.

Any feedback on the Puresounds here would be great too.

I have been using genera dry on my steel snare and my maple snare. The steel is just dry and clean sounding but the maple lost it's great POP untill I tuned up a bit. Got it back without the ring. I like it. The HD is a two ply head that is said to be brighter but I have not had one so dont know.

I'll take a look at the Genera's. Thanks.

The HD would be a good bet. As for snare choice, if you're looking for something bright, go with the Custom Pro Brass snares. 20 strand for more shell sound, 24 for more snare response.

Also, you had mentioned using a pin to create "dry" holes in the head. I strongly advise against this. Poking a hole in the head with a pin could compromise the structural integrity of the drumhead. When create these wholes in our HD and ST Dry heads, we use a precision drill bit rotating at upwards of 3,000 RPM in order to get the cleanest possible cut. Otherwise you run the risk of creating what can quickly become a split in the film.

If you want to decrease the muffling aka dryness, you can start with a brighter head like a double-ply coated and add moongels up to the point you like it. Experiment with placement around the head.

The HD would be a good bet. As for snare choice, if you're looking for something bright, go with the Custom Pro Brass snares. 20 strand for more shell sound, 24 for more snare response.

Also, you had mentioned using a pin to create "dry" holes in the head. I strongly advise against this. Poking a hole in the head with a pin could compromise the structural integrity of the drumhead. When create these wholes in our HD and ST Dry heads, we use a precision drill bit rotating at upwards of 3,000 RPM in order to get the cleanest possible cut. Otherwise you run the risk of creating what can quickly become a split in the film.

Cool. I'll check out the HD, but not the Dry this time. I was wondering how Brass snares and Steel snares tones differed.

Yeah, I thought the holes in the drumhead was crazy.

Thanks again for the help!

Yeah, I just tightened up the batter and reso a bit, and noticeably brighter. Thanks!

Back