Virgin bass drum

Virgin bass drum = has never been played. - Ok, kidding ;-)
= has no holes for tom mounts so the toms have to be mounted off stands.
Benefit? Cosmetics - if you dig it. And to have the toms not interfering with the bass drum sound-wise.
Plus this provides more mounting options than mounting toms off the bass drum.

non benefit? Need extra hardware to mount your tom(s).
Buying virgin or not often comes down to whether one thinks the hole makes a difference in the sound of your bass drum (lost of arguments on that), and whether you want to mount toms off of cymbals stands (some prefer that).
Pros and cons to both.

There is a difference in sound, but its tiny and most people muffle the bass a bit anyway. I have a virgin bass atm, but I think I'm going to attach a rail tom mount and a cymbal mount to ditch some stands. For a Keith Carlock sound maybe it matters, but for most of us its just looks.

i know this wasn't the original point of the thread, but the appearance of a virgin bass drum is a lot better to me. not sure why. to me it looks more professional i guess. maybe just cleaner look.

I like the convenience of a mount on the kick. But I also have a virgin kick on one of my kits and it doesn't bother me too much. The Gibraltar clamps and ball L-arms that came with the kit are pretty flexible and easy to adjust. As for sound, I doubt I would hear much difference so that doesn't come into play for me.

I find both looks equally pleasing.

If you play your kick fairly unmuffled it can make a difference I find.
There's a noticeable difference when you play a non-virgin bass with nothing mounted on it.
I find they usually have a bit more sustain and are much boomy-er.
With lots of heavy hardware mounted on top it can kill the sustain quite a bit though, I suppose it's because you're adding weight to the shell, and that makes it resonate less.
But yes, if you muffle your kick heavily, the difference is only in options of drum placement.

A lot of kits these days have a braket mounted with 4 small screws that hold the tom mounting hardware, this seems to be a far sight better than 1 or 2 5/8 holes drilled through the shell, but the weight of the toms and hardware alone could be enough to alter the sound. i found this to be true with my starclassic performer. I (usually) use a solid front head and no muffling so I noticed a difference when I removed the braket and put the toms on stands or a rack.

Back