Drums in Kitchen?

JimmyTheMonkey

So I am moving to a new place next month. No perfect place to put the drum set. The kitchen is quite large, however. I am thinking of putting them in a 10x8 nook on the edge of the kitchen. Only thing that worries me is any possible long term damage from keeping them in the kitchen. Set would probably be 20 feet from the kitchen sink and all major appliances.

Does anyone think being exposed to he kitchen and its corresponding increased temperature/humidity/and rare occasions of steam will make a difference. Am I just being paranoid?

I am thinking of my acoustic set, but may also put the Rolands there as well, space permitting

20 feet, I think you're okay. Just keep water and direct steam off it.

And don't do any frying on the stove unless you have a good range hood/exhaust fan.
I'd probably keep them covered with some kind of blanket or something, too.
They'll probably sound pretty good in there, lots of reflective surfaces!

It depends what you cook too. If you use a lot of oil and eat lots of meat the kit will gradually get a grease film. It would make sense to put a plastic sheet over them when not in use, especially when cooking, and to eat out as often as possible ...

Kitchen, no. Dining room, yes!

diningdrums.jpg

:)

Kitchen, no. Dining room, yes!

diningdrums.jpg

:)

Well if Bermuda keeps his drums right next to the kitchen, that probaby means my setup will work as well. I didn't think about the grease issue, but it makes perfect sense. My Fiancé cooks a lot but the new place has a hood. Bermuda, I take it you don't have any issues with your drums located there?

No kitchen-related issues, no. Possibly only the occasional sunlight when the shades are open, but the drumns look pretty great after almost 70 years, a little more yellowing won't hurt.

Heat, humidity, water and such from the kitchen would be negligible, and not a concern.

Smoke and grease from frying food would be a concern.

Buy a large top sheet and toss it over the kit when not being used would be smart.

I live in a large two room 900 square foot apartment.
I keep two kits set up in my kitchen/living room at all times. A Jazz Kit and a Rock Kit.
There is nothing like playing while you cook.
I always have something to do while I am waiting for water to boil or the like.

I wouldnt worry about it.

But thats just me.

Attachments

• quad.jpg
    quad.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 127
Pots and pans is where it all started for us anyway!

You'll be OK with the kit in the kitchen, only trouble is that your wife/girlfriend will end up as a better player than you :)

Thanks everyone! Before unpacking my drums, I will put a humidity gauge in there for week to see how the kitchen affects things. I will also try putting some sheets of notebook paper where the drums go to see if they get any grease residue on them from cooking. I think it will be fine, but this way I will know for sure!

Back