What makes the drum worlds' "Les Paul - Marshall Stack" or "P-Bass - Ampeg Stack" equivalent?

What makes the drum worlds' "Les Paul - Marshall Stack" or "P-Bass - Ampeg Stack" equivalent?

Guitarists and Bassists have it easy. Almost any engineer will sigh in relief if they see a well maintained Les Paul and a JCM 800 with a 412 loaded with vintage 30's, or a P-Bass and an SVT with an 810 "fridge" walk into their studios.

So what kinda' drum set makes the engineer do the same?

Snare? Kit? Heads? Hats? Ride? Crashy, splashy, shimmery things?

(hope this doesn't belong in the gear forum... )

Re: What makes the drum worlds' "Les Paul - Marshall Stack" or "P-Bass - Ampeg Stack" equivalent?

Supraphonic snare drum with coated Ambassador or Emperor (or G1/G2) heads. And a pair of 14" New Beat hi hats would make a real fine start.

Maybe a vintage 3 ply kit with re-rings wouldn't be frowned upon either.

Re: What makes the drum worlds' "Les Paul - Marshall Stack" or "P-Bass - Ampeg Stack" equivalent?

I agree with what PFOG said. New Beats and Supraphonics are studio legends.

I'll add a set of Yamaha Recording Customs to that "safe studio combo".

Cheers!

And then again, a lot of "new school" engineers would rather see the guitar and bass plug in direct.​
Or.....​
A Mesa Boogie mini 25, an SWR WorkingPro 15, a Line6 guitar and/or bass pod going thru a clean 60 watt amp ...... there are many ways to "get that sound" besides Marshall stacks and SVT's. We ain't living in the 60's, anymore.​

And then again, a lot of "new school" engineers would rather see the guitar and bass plug in direct.​
Or.....​
A Mesa Boogie mini 25, an SWR WorkingPro 15, a Line6 guitar and/or bass pod going thru a clean 60 watt amp ...... there are many ways to "get that sound" besides Marshall stacks and SVT's. We ain't living in the 60's, anymore.​

I understand, was just trying to draw a bit of a parallel to get an idea of that "classic sound" and what was-and is- typically used to get it.

I think a DW with coated Ambassadors will come pretty darn close. They're not everyone's favorite drums, but they will sound good in a rock settting.

I'd say old Ludwig or Gretsch. Just seems to be heavily favored, and for good reason.

The Gurus wouldn't appear on this list. Engineers are "frightened" at the prospect of learning how to record a kit naturally again ;) ;) ;) (sort of joking)

Actually, as a nod to Harry's observation, you'll be able to buy Guru samples soon. By special request, we're recording next month for a well known provider of samples & other plugin stuff.

Don't know about the guitar amp analogy. One recording session I witnessed, like Stevie Ray Vaughn used to do, there were literally ten or twelve amps being run at the same time to get 'that' sound. After that, every time I see a guy with single amp, I'm hearing in my head "thin".

But old Ludwigs, Gretsch, Slingerlands, or Rogers, come to mind. Perhaps a kit with good cymbals and new heads? Alot of times studios own their own drumkits anyway because it cuts down on the time to get a good sound.

Alot of times studios own their own drumkits anyway because it cuts down on the time to get a good sound.

Good point. Have you guys noticed any trends or examples in the kits that sit "in house" at studios or soundrooms that you've visited?

The Gurus wouldn't appear on this list. Engineers are "frightened" at the prospect of learning how to record a kit naturally again ;) ;) ;) (sort of joking)

I can see that. Particularly with less seasoned engineers and producers who area still working to "figure it out"

(then again, I guess we're all pretty much always trying to "figure it out"...)

I'd have to say a set of Ludwigs (complete with LM402 or LB417) and a set of A Zildjians. That's just the classic bullet-proof rock set up with years of tradition to back it up.

You could say something like DW and Sabian, but to me that would be more analogous to a Mesa Boogie and Jackson or something.

I'd say old Ludwig or Gretsch. Just seems to be heavily favored, and for good reason.

Ditto.....probably more Gretsch in the studio than DW

I'd have to say a set of Ludwigs (complete with LM402 or LB417) and a set of A Zildjians. That's just the classic bullet-proof rock set up with years of tradition to back it up.

LM402 or LB417 are both 6.5", correct? To account for a more depth in the snare sound?

I assume the starting point for a set of Z-A's would be a 16" crash and a 20" ride?.

Yep, early '70s Ludwigs and just about any (US) Grestch kit.

But as always, it really depends on the gig.

Bermuda

Ludwig 60's to early 70's,same for Gretsch,and lets not forget Slingerlands and Rogers of that era.LM 400/402 or a black beauty.A Zildjians,new beat hats,or Paiste 602's and sound edge hats.That will cover just about anything.

Steve B

I think paiste sound real good. I prefer ludwig as my snare of choice. Supraphonic is great

I find more often that not the studio has a Yamaha kit for "in house". Cymbals are usually A Zildjian.

What's "best" is why we have so many drum companies.....

Back