Simple Double Bass Pedal Drum Songs

DanBed27

Hi guys!

I'm teaching several students and I often get asked about double bass drumming. After we go through some basic exercises and get comfortable with the pedals and rhythms, I get asked for songs to play but I'm having a hard time finding songs that are not crazy fast or who don't have really tricky rhythms for somebody who's just starting out on double pedal stuff.

Do you guys have any ideas of simple double bass songs?

Thanks!

This is a song called Deep silent complete by Nightwish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YRs5Dt9uRM

This is probably the first song I tried when learning double bass and it's one of my favorite songs to listen....I believe it's a good tempo for beginners and pretty straight forward but with a little twists in some parts with some snare on the upbeats to keep it interesting and challenging for limb independence.
Hope it helps.

I'm sure there are 100's of albums but I started off playing along to Cradle of Filth's midian.

There are plenty of manageable songs for a beginner on that album.

Thanks guys for your responses. I'm gonna take note of that thread and come back to it when searching for these types of songs.

Some people say that songs by Metallica are easy...there's only one way to find out.

Ok perhaps you should try Fuel by Metallica. It's pretty straight forward IINM no complex odd times and isn't extremely fast, most of their songs aren't very fast.

Thank you! The only thing with Metallica is that the songs I know (pretty much only the Black Album ones) have very little double bass drum or only for small fills. Do you know of other Metallica songs that have more like a pattern that is repeated, a beat or something fun for somebody starting out on double bass?

Some people say that songs by Metallica are easy...there's only one way to find out.

Ok perhaps you should try Fuel by Metallica. It's pretty straight forward IINM no complex odd times and isn't extremely fast, most of their songs aren't very fast.

Red Hot / Motley Crue

Headhunter / Krokus

Winter Wonderland / Stryper

Till the Living End / Dokken

Yes, I just proped 80s metal. Haha.

D

This is a song called Deep silent complete by Nightwish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YRs5Dt9uRM

This is probably the first song I tried when learning double bass and it's one of my favorite songs to listen....I believe it's a good tempo for beginners and pretty straight forward but with a little twists in some parts with some snare on the upbeats to keep it interesting and challenging for limb independence.
Hope it helps.

Also, Over The Hills and Far Away by Nightwish, it's what helped me learn.

Thank you! The only thing with Metallica is that the songs I know (pretty much only the Black Album ones) have very little double bass drum or only for small fills. Do you know of other Metallica songs that have more like a pattern that is repeated, a beat or something fun for somebody starting out on double bass?

Fade to black, from Ride the Lightning, has some double pass parts towards the ending same goes Welcome Home (Sanitarium) , from Master of Puppets album .

I think you should stay away from ...And Justice for All for the time being as I believe most songs in that particular album can be pretty complex at times.

Red Hot by Motley Crue was my first and it seemed super fast back then but it got me going.

Nightmare by avenged sevenfold. Pretty straight forward (may be a little fast but there are some free software out there that can slow songs down while keeping the key ).

Back