Backlining my kit for a fundraiser

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
I'm either generous or stupid, I haven't quite determined which yet.

I'm backlining one of my kits for a fundraiser a friend is doing Sunday for Hurricane Sandy victims. All proceeds will go the the Red Cross.

She's putting on this fundraiser at a fairly well-known bar in Fort Worth and has about 10 or 12 bands lined up to play. All these musicians are coming together and playing for free with about 15 - 20 minutes in between sets for band changes. She has all the guitar amps, an electronic keyboard and all the mics backlined so it's faster and quicker for bands to change. What she was having trouble with is getting a drum kit backlined, as GC wasn't responding to her requests and none of the other music stores in town volunteered.

We met with her last week as my wife is also volunteering at this thing, and during the course of our conversation, so mentioned she was having a real hard time finding a kit. So here is David to the rescue. Since I was feeling generous and comfortable, I said look no further. I've got the perfect kit.

I've known this lady for about a year now as our social circles cross and we see her about every week at various clubs and venues, as her band is either playing or she is hosting a jam or hosting a "singer/songwriter" showcase. Eveything she does is totally professional and "above-board" so to speak. My wife has known her a bit longer.

The genres of bands are mostly country, country rock, blues and jazz, so no heavy metal, or - hopefully - heavy hitters that pound the hell out of things. (No disrespect to those on DW that play metal.)

I'm backlining my 5 piece vintage (early 90's) Tama kit. It' s in great shape and sounds fantastic. I'm including the hihat stand, two cymbal stands, kick pedal, snare stand, and drum throne. I told her and we agreed, each drummer needs to bring his own cymbals and sticks.

With the above information, is there anything else I need to worry with? or any tips or pointers I need to be aware of? Thanks!

You didn't list a snare as specifically being provided, and you mentioned the other players needing to bring cymbals and sticks. So I'd recommend that you indicate if you're providing the snare, or if you want the other players to bring theirs, or are okay if they do so. (I'd personally bring mine anyway.) Snares are pretty personal, especially for backline kits.

That is a nice gesture on your part. We backline the open mic nights as the house band. I leave all my gear, cymbals, pedals etc. and so far, (another one this Sat, night) no one has disrespected my gear. Make sure your heads are new/very good as they are going to stand up to a lot of playing. Have replacements ready, old ones are fine. The best way I find is to talk to the other drummers, it lets them know without saying it that it is your kit and you are there watching. It makes it harder for most people to beat the crap out of something when the owner is there. Also, you should be the one between groups to lend a hand in quilckly tuning or adjusting stands for the next guy etc. It really helps a lot and that way you are reallly the one touching your gear, no one else. Be nice to the drummers and you get the same back. Also have yur stuff ready in case anyone forgets their pedal or something.

Very generous of you David. I wouldn't call it stupid. I'd put good condition used heads on them though. They will likely come back all dented. Not an issue if you put a set of spare used heads on. Nothing too bad, just not brand new. I would also specify that drummers bring their own snares, but have one there anyway hidden, just in case someone comes unprepared.

I'd bring a set of B list cymbals too, for the unprepared drummers. Make sure no equipment grows legs and walks, bring a checklist of what you are providing. Bring spare heads, especially a kick drum head

Thanks guys! I forgot to include the drums. The 5 piece kit will include a 22x16" kick, 14x6" snare, 2 ride toms - a 10x10 and 12x10, and a 16x16 floor tom. I've have some older heads I can bring as backups. Still good but used. And the heads I have on there now are good - used, nothing beat up.

Ride toms? Isn't that a Craigslist mis-term? Aren't they really supposed to be called rack toms? Are ride toms a legitimate term?

Ride toms? Isn't that a Craigslist mis-term? Aren't they really supposed to be called rack toms? Are ride toms a legitimate term?

ride tom is actually a more legitimate term than rack tom.....although rack tom is more commonly used today

back when all contraptions such as temple blocks , cow bells, wood blocks , toms, trap tables , cymbals all rode on either the bass drum itself, a roll up console or a rail console they were referred to as ride toms

we use the term ride as a cymbal term today.....but anything that was connected to a console or the drum itself was a ride

these items would ride the console ....and the console would roll up on wheels and fit right over the bass drum a lot like the racks of today

hence the term ride tom

chickwebbcolor268x350.jpg

Last edited:
When other people use your kit, even if they aren't heavy hitters, you've got to watch out for rim rash. When they adjust the rack (I mean...er....um....."ride") tom, they might ding the bass drum, and same thing with moving the snare/floor tom/cymbals that will bump/rub/scrape the toms/bass drum/snare drum. When offering a backline or rental kit, be prepared to receive it back with some battle scars. It's just a part of the deal. Things happen.

You're a very generous fellow. Thank you for helping out.

You're not being stupid at all.Nothing wrong with paying it foward.Lots of people here in Staten Island as well as other parts of New York and New Jersey are still homeless.Over 40,000 in Staten Island alone.I'm sure the'll appreciate you kindness and generosity.

I was one of the lucky ones,and only lost power for 11 days,with minimal damage to my home.Some lost everything...literally.

Thanks again for your kindness and generous support.:)

Steve B

Very kind of you.

About five years ago, I got a call from a friend who worked for a local promoter in a total panic because they didn't have a kit due to a miscommunication. I luckily still had my kit in the car and got a couple of (soft) drinks out of it.

Two things happened that night. Firstly, the kit got 'rim rash' on the 10" tom. I wasn't actually at all bothered by that - I just consider it 'road wear', like my bass when I let a tutor borrow it for a wedding and it came back with belt rash. It really doesn't bother me. None of my 'road' gear (save my cymbals and snare) is valuable and it's there to be used.

Secondly, I was standing by the stage and a man came over. Looked at me, pointed at the kit shouted to me:

'Are those drums triggered?!'

I said 'No - what do you mean?'

'They sound great! I've never heard drums so good here. Whose kit is this?!'

I just smiled, told him they were mine and went about my ways.

Came out with a big grin that night.

You learn something new every day. In 30 years of playing drums, I have never heard the term "backlining" used. Now I know what it means!

Don't put used heads on it, your doing them a big favor, don't ruin it by putting up a crappy sounding kit.

Don't put used heads on it, your doing them a big favor, don't ruin it by putting up a crappy sounding kit.

Good point. The heads on the kit now are good sounding heads, slightly used by still good under any circumstance. I have some used ones I can bring as backup in case someone breaks a head.

Luckily we're able to set up everything the night before, so I can take time and set up the kit and tune it to the room, so to speak. And the day of, I can be there the entire time to watch over the kit and help out and be a stage hand if neccesary.

I'm actually looking forward to this because I get to watch the other drummers do their thing and hopefully can learn something from each one, no matter how subtle it may be.

Thanks again everyone for your wise input! The DW community is the best!

(I never thought about rim rash, but it's a definate possibility, so I'll take precautions. The kit is an emerald green laquer finish, which has some battle scars, but I still want to keep the scuffs to a minimum.)

On one of the few occasions one of my kits was used as a backline one of the drummers used a set of heavy pliers to tighten some of the hardware. He scratched up the chrome and also scratched a tom when the pliers slipped. Things can also get dinged up when repositioning stands, adjusting drums or moving different snares in and out.

If you remove your cymbals from the stands are sure they are put away somewhere safe and secure.

rogue, with all the luck you've had over the years, what could possibly go wrong?

:)

Seriously, it's a very cool gesture on your part.

I would bring wash wipes and wipe down the throne between sets to keep it sanitary and not smelling like ass. Maybe also Febreze the drum area in case someone makes it smell.

Last edited:
Hopefully your snare stand is in good shape, as that will probably get adjusted more than anything else. If you have a spare it may be handy to have ready in case something strips or otherwise messes up. I hope your hi-hat isn't a DW5000 as there is a design flaw in them that can cause the lower rod to part unexpectedly. May be worth having a spare hat stand as well, if for no other reason than to prep one with the next acts hats and swap the whole stand back and forth. Same thing with snare stands. The last backline gig I did, I had my snare in my stand and my throne and just moved the other ones off to the side. That was quicker than fiddling with everything. And the other guy's when right back where he had it.

Re: Backlining my kit for a fundraiser - GREAT news!

Happy to report back the fundraiser was held Sunday (12/9) from Noon - 11 pm at Lone Star Nightclub in Fort Worth http://lonestarniteclub.com/

More than 20 bands and singers/songwriters played and donated their time and talent for Hurricane Sandy relief.

Over $3,000 was raised and 100% went to Island Harvest, which is the largest hunger relief organization on Long Island.
http://www.islandharvest.org/intro.aspx

Man, this was a blast! All the musicians came together and played for a worthy cause and had a great time doing it. No egos, attitudes, etc. Food and drinks were donated for the musicians and help. All who volunteered got 2 comped beers or mixed drinks plus all the bottled water thay could drink, plus all the food they could down.

Some great bands played and some great tribute bands were there. Swan Song, a Led Zepplin tribute band headlined. Their drummer was awesome, as was the drummer for the U2 tribute band. I had a great point of view, as I could watch every drummer do his thing from backstage as I backlined my kit and was a stage hand.

I think we got home about 12:30 am Monday morning, and I felt it the next day, but we had a great time!!!

Cheers!

(Forgot to add, everyone respected the set and gear - a vintage 90's custom emerald green 5 piece kit - and said how great it sounded. No stripped bolts, no tom or snare rash, the sound techs were great, etc. A very positive backlining experience.)

Thats awesome, sounds like a great line up too....you had me a 2 comped beers!

Back