What's a good classic rock snare?

Thin about loking for a Pearl 6.5 x 14 Masters maple. They can be found for about $250. Great snare for what you are looking for. John

Definitely. Pearl Masters Custom Maple 14"x6,5". I think it's the most affordable real pro snare. Mastercast hoops, S017 strainer, 6-ply all maple shell.. Can't go wrong with it.

Yamaha's snares are awesome. But usually they're a lot more expensive.

Cheers.

Any suggestions will help thanks.

THIS!!

richard cord.jpg

Sorry, I just love this snare and mister 6.5 Acro started it (very wonderful score BTW sir). Personally, between the choices you mentioned, I like the Acro because it has a nice dry attack with just enough metal ring to cut through the mix. Plus I LOVE the price of a used one.

For a more mellow sound I really would look at a thinner wooden shell. Ol' Red here is a wooden shell (Maple over Poplar I believe) and he's held up just swimmingly for a nice fat vintagey backbeat. For "mellow" though I wouldn't recommend a snare in this depth. Maybe a 5.5 maple or birch with triple flanged hoops.

+1 on the Ludwig Supraphonic 5 or 6 1/2 and and Acrolite.Same shell,just dressed up a little.Those drums have been around for over 45 years for a reason.The best selling snare drums of all time,bar none.As far as wood shells,Ludwig Pioneers,Jazzfest,and Classics are good choices as well as vintage Slingerland Artist (used by Neil Peart on all of Rushes stuff till recently)as well as Tama Artwood and 70-80's vintage Superstar birch and rosewood shelled drums.And if vyou want a drum that will just take your head off with sheer volume...80 vintage Tama Kingbeat snare 5x14.Steel shell.Play a couple of rim shots on one of those drums,and you'll think your in the middle of a gun fight.Good luck.

Steve B

Last edited:

Ok..that WMP pearl 6 1/2x 14 is a School Festival snare not a Jazzfest.It also has an extra hole drilled in it by the strainer.The original strainer should be the P-87,which is pictured with the drum.The strainer that is mounted on it is a P-85,(by some idiot)and not mounted on snares till 69.That extra hole brings down the resale value of an otherwise beautiful drum.

The gold sparkle Pioneer snare is a beautiful and original drum,but not worth the asking price.Great drums,nice and fat and warm,but not a lot of range.

That last Ludwig snare is a little shaky.Stripped,no clear photos of the badge,serial number,interior condition...just more than a few red flags for me.

Stick with the Ludwig LM 400/402 or the LM404 Acrolite.

Steve B

Ludwig Supra. But for those on tight budgets, the Pearl Sensitone Elite series is the next best thing. I have a friend with one, and his entire collection of snares now lies idle because of it.

Another vote for the acro. Tons of dIfferent sounds in that drum.

I like my Chad Smith too though! That drum can be versatile as well!

I managed to get a 6.5x14 1976' Ludalloy Supraphonic a month or two back. (For 30$ in nearly flawless condition)
Greatest snare I've heard to this date. But if you're on a budget, the Acrolite might be a good idea because, apparently, they're just Supras with some toned down hardware and no chrome on the shell. I've heard a few on the Tube, and they sound pretty nice. But you can't beat a Supraphonic, IMO.

Besides the volume,what don't you like about the Chad Smith snare? I was looking to pick one up soon. What heads are you using on it?

Thanks

The Ludwig LM 402 has been mentioned several times. If it was good enough for John Henry Bonham, it's good enough for you. It's the 6.5 x 14 model. Total. Class.

Attachments

• LM402.jpg
    LM402.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 684
Oh I know its good. Its just the volume I don't like. I need to be able to play jazz as well as classic rock. And I think wood would be the best for that.

And by the way...
thats also my only complaint with the chad smith. if the loudness doesnt bother you and your on the edge, buy it. its a versatile drum and you won't regret it.

Thanks! Going to check one out monday.

Back