Double Butt-End Sticks

unfunkyfooted

Silver Member
does anyone use or know of a good drum sticks without a taper and tip ?

in other words a drumstick that both ends are shaped like the butt end. kind of like Timbale sticks only big like regular-sized drumsticks.

5B / 2B welcome !!!
carbon / fiberglass / synthetic / rubber / even better

thanks.

Pro-Mark Rock Knockers are the double-butt version of the 747 (which is a slightly longer 5A diameter stick). They last for years. Vater makes an identical sized product called the Hammer (VHHW), as well as Morgan Rose's Alien Freak signature model.

Phill Rudd of AC/DC has a signature series with the butt end designed for playing, I think the tip is pretty standard though.

Regal tip offers butt end sticks that are .570 diam. This is just under the 5A(.580), & it is a solid stick without a super heavy feel.

Nice balance, and rolls come out smooth with little effort.

Zildjian offers a DB stick that's more like a 5B and it feels heavier at the 'tip' area than the Regal. It's only a little bigger diam. at .590, but to me it feels a lot heavier overall.

The durability is good on both brands.
Very solid sound on drums and ride, crashes are about the same if you mostly strike cymbals with the shaft and not the tip.

Pro-Mark offers a DB, and I think the diam is .555
It's a nice stick if you like a smaller diam in the grip. Still a solid sound on everything.

Going through all three brands, I like the Regal the best. All 3 brands were straight, but Regal had a better consistency in feel over PM, and Zildjian had some severe weight issues over the 12 pair I bought.

The PM sticks just seemed to break in the middle sooner than Regal and Zildjian too.

Alex Van Halen used the Regal Power rock sticks for a few Van Halen tours and they were the sticks he used on the Right Here, Right Now DVD.

If these diameters aren't what you're after, you can get them made custom from customdrumsticks.biz

They make awesome feeling, reliable, sturdy sticks at a great price. I've had them making my sticks for about a year, & I wouldn't go with any other sticks now.

Hope this helps

Regal tip offers butt end sticks that are .570 diam. This is just under the 5A(.580), & it is a solid stick without a super heavy feel.

Nice balance, and rolls come out smooth with little effort.

Zildjian offers a DB stick that's more like a 5B and it feels heavier at the 'tip' area than the Regal. It's only a little bigger diam. at .590, but to me it feels a lot heavier overall.

The durability is good on both brands.
Very solid sound on drums and ride, crashes are about the same if you mostly strike cymbals with the shaft and not the tip.

Pro-Mark offers a DB, and I think the diam is .555
It's a nice stick if you like a smaller diam in the grip. Still a solid sound on everything.

Going through all three brands, I like the Regal the best. All 3 brands were straight, but Regal had a better consistency in feel over PM, and Zildjian had some severe weight issues over the 12 pair I bought.

The PM sticks just seemed to break in the middle sooner than Regal and Zildjian too.

Alex Van Halen used the Regal Power rock sticks for a few Van Halen tours and they were the sticks he used on the Right Here, Right Now DVD.

If these diameters aren't what you're after, you can get them made custom from customdrumsticks.biz

They make awesome feeling, reliable, sturdy sticks at a great price. I've had them making my sticks for about a year, & I wouldn't go with any other sticks now.

Hope this helps

thank ya, thank ya !!!

that Zildjian sounds like a winner to me...i liked their Purple Dip 2B very much, but it broke after a month. i will probably try all of those that you mentioned - particularly the Regal, but Pro Mark too.

do you know of a company that makes Custom DB Synthetic Sticks ?

[a Techra Cool Jazz in DB and SOLID FILLED (not hollow) would be GREAT !!!]

Pro-Mark Rock Knockers are the double-butt version of the 747 (which is a slightly longer 5A diameter stick). They last for years. Vater makes an identical sized product called the Hammer (VHHW), as well as Morgan Rose's Alien Freak signature model.

thanks. i'm looking more in the 5B / 2B area, but i'll definitely check these out ! they might be it !

thanks. i'm looking more in the 5B / 2B area, but i'll definitely check these out ! they might be it !

If you're looking bigger, butt-end style, Pro-Mark also makes a marching stick called the DC10 that is like swinging a baseball bat...
http://www.promark.com/products/view/pwdc10w/

Other than that, not many companies seem to make a double-butt stick larger than 5A diameter. Probably has to do with weight and balance.

I'm a Vater man, myself. They have a few models; I know that for sure. Here's what I think you'd like:

They're called Alien Freaks.. I've held them before, never played with them. I believe they are a bit thicker than 5Bs. Check them out!

Glad to know I'm not the only one who likes to use the butt end of a drum stick. A couple times through out my time of playing drums I have flipped the stick over after they break to play with the butt end of them and found that I really like the feel of it. I like the extra weight, the balanced feel and I could roll and get more rebound while drumming all while not digging into my heads and denting them!

About 2 weeks ago I was going to order the Hammers but chickened out and went with the standard Vater Rock sticks. Though I think after reading this and another thread that I will for sure order a few pairs next time around!

I like to play on the bells of my cymbals a lot.
When doing this, I'll often turn my sticks around and use the butt to strike the bell.
It just gives it a more solid feel. I also like to use the butt of the stick for side-sticking because it has a more depth.

Rofl! I am the same way Sticks although I haven't flipped them to play the bell or anything for quite a while. Though I find myself riding the bell with the lower part of the neck to the top part of the shaft of the stick while riding. It just gives off more of a defined and powerful sound and I like the feel a bit more than using the upper end of the neck or even tip. Entry level or not, this B8 ride is great and I really love the bell on it! It's really loud but with a mid dark to bright tone. Except for the hi-hats, this B8 performance package with the free 18" crash is working great and sounds really decent for entry level stuff. A lot better than the Paiste 802's that I had 11 years ago.

The only thing about the double butt is when you go to ride the outter edge of the ride, if the stick is too thick it will wash out the ping sound and instead make it sound like you are using the ride as a crash lol! Which is why I think the Hammers are the diameter that they are. Can't wait to try them in a few months when I run out of my current sticks lol!

Back