Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz here!

Loving the drumwork on "Mandatory Fun", have listened to the whole album about 5 times since getting it yesterday. Question, did you do the marching band stuff on "Sports Song" or did Al use a marching band?

Thanks, this was a fun album both to play, and program. Sports Song is all me, a 10x14" Ludwig clear maple marching snare (c1971?) double tracked, a 14x26" Legacy kick fairly wide open and played with a proper mallet, also double tracked, and 2 pair of Sabian marching cymbals (I knew they'd come in handy if I held onto them long enough!)

I gave the sound a little more thought than usual, and suggested miking the drums from across the room, since people hearing a marching band are far away from the instruments, not close up. That extra bit of "air" made a difference and really contributed to the old school drum sound.

Lots of fun recording that, although I later had to actually march, try to remember the exact parts I played, and sing! I hadn't marched in 40 years, never used a modern harness with modern, heavy snare, and I don't sing! It was a hard video shoot for me! That one debuts Friday morning at 8am PT on www.weirdal.com, check it out and see how I did!

Bermuda

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick and comprehensive reply, you definitely nailed the vintage marching sound, to the extent that I wasn't sure. Looking forward to the video on Friday.

So far I have been impressed by a majority of the songs, but the videos that have been released so far have taken everything to the next level. Al is continuing to show why he is the top dog.

Having been there, you must see a live show. I was amazed at how things flowed from song to song

I've been having a blast listening to Word Crimes. If only Weird Al could've worked into the lyrics drummers referring to "symbols" in their "4 sale" gear listings. Can't wait to listen to the other new songs.

Been to 3 so far, looking forward to the next tour.

I didn't even realize he was working on an album, but the likely tour was my first thought when I heard it was released. A Weird Al concert promises entertaining production, a rock-solid backing band, and some very confused- albeit obliging- girlfriends in the audience (and a few more decked-out in twine ball earrings). I'm still an album behind, but I'm looking forward to it. It seems that as the quality of music available to parody has diminished, the quality of the originals goes up. I spent most of the drive home after the concert last summer trying to figure out which Doors song "Craigslist" was. The joke was one me.

Who wants to see Jon play halftime at the Superbowl? It might be a long shot, but it shouldn't be. I think Weird Al is a lot more entertaining than anyone else I have seen on the Superbowl in several years.
Check out this link!

http://www.change.org/petitions/nfl...ic-headline-the-super-bowl-xlix-halftime-show

+1000 - This is an excellent idea!

2010 - XLIV - The Who
2011 - XLV - The Black Eyed Peas, Usher, Slash
2012 - XLVI - Madonna, LMFAO, Cirque du Soleil, Nicki Minaj, M.I.A., Cee Lo Green, Andy Lewis, et al.
2013 - XLVII - Beyoncé, Destiny's Child
2014 - XLVIII - Bruno Mars, Red Hot Chili Peppers (they spell "Chile" wrong, by the way)
2015 - MMXV - "Weird Al" Yankovic with Special Guest Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz!!

I can see it, I can really see it!

There was a petition on change.org over a year ago for the same thing, it stalled at about 20,000 signatures. Then again, there wasn't a TON of press about Al at that particular time!

I doubt a petition like that would have an effect on network, sponsor, or NFL decisions.

There was a petition on change.org over a year ago for the same thing, it stalled at about 20,000 signatures. Then again, there wasn't a TON of press about Al at that particular time!

I doubt a petition like that would have an effect on network, sponsor, or NFL decisions.

I agree Mr. Schwartz, I don't think the NFL is listening to a petition to find their feature for halftime, maybe they can work you in as an opener or ender or something like what they did with the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I remember as a kid listening to "Living with a Hernia" and "Like a Surgeon" with my friends in our tree house. Weird Al has been around a long time and is in the heart of a lot of the NFL's target audience.
"Trapped at the Superbowl" a parady of "Trapped in the drivethru"?
I'd love to hear "Sports Song" at the Superbowl.
The petition won't do it alone, but it might help. Its up to 58k signatures now.

Berm,

First - I think a weird Al halftime show is a great idea!!

Second - wanted to let you know that I still use the pair of sig sticks you gave me and my son after a Cleveland show at Nautica about 6 years ago. Nice sticks! My son kept the used ones. :)

Thanks again for all the great music.

Steve Skyrm

Listened to the album again yesterday. Congratulations on it reaching #1! My girlfriend and I were saying "Well, it's about time they got a #1 album!"

If indeed Al does not make another album, way to go out on top!

Thanks for just being a really cool guy, with plenty of good advice. I hope someday you get the opportunity to do a clinic tour. I'd attend just to hear about how you duplicate all the sounds in the studio!

Dan

Thanks Dan! There'll be plenty more songs, just not a CD issued by a label.

Well, unless someone offers us a ZILLION DOLLARS!!

As soon as someone asks me! Are you asking? :)

As soon as someone asks me! Are you asking? :)

I don't have a place to host a clinic. That would be great. I just remember you did one awhile back at a Sam Ash in Torrance or something. Just wondering if there are any more on the table for you. Thanks.

None right now, although most of my info that has any value is available here, in threads dealing with the music business, balancing relationships and day jobs with music, taxes and finances, touring, networking and promotion, and of course, endorsements. Sure, there's a little drumming in person, but that's never been the focus for me. Drummers can learn techniques and tricks of the trade from more capable players than I, but there aren't many guys talking about the ins & outs of being a professional musician. That's what I do, and I do it here just as easily as in person.

Bermuda

there aren't many guys talking about the ins & outs of being a professional musician. That's what I do, and I do it here just as easily as in person.

And I appreciate it. Thank you Bermuda...............

Back