Batman Wrap kit

aguh2

Hello! I'm new in the forum, and i'm new with drums too. I've been playing guitar and bass for years but I started drumming less than a year ago. I'm from Argentina and as drums here are quite expensive, i have been building some stuff so i can practice.
This is my kit, it's a german made 5 piece "century" i bought from my guitar teacher, with "Meteor By Meinl" crash, hihat and ride and a "Meinl" Splash. Cymbal stands and snare are home-made, and so is the wrap. The snare is totally useless, so im planning to build another one soon. The wrap was made with Batman comics.
Don't be cruel, i know it's a shitty kit but you can't say it isn't cool! ahahaha
Sorry for my poor english!
557589_3327546781757_1061044772_32413979_1887614348_n.jpg

Sizes are 10" 12" 16" 22" but im not using the 10" tom at the moment.

Dude I dig it! it's different! And I love how you make use of what you have!

Once upon a time when I played guitar I always wanted to call my band Heros and Villans, this kit would fit perfectly!

Welcome to DW!

i know it's a shitty kit but you can't say it isn't cool! ahahaha
No way is it a shitty kit, it's superb! Not only does it look very cool, but you should be very proud of your efforts here. Your post reminds me so much of the first post here from Leo. He's a valued member from Cuba, who built his own double pedal from scrap. He was inspiring to me, (& still is) and so are you. You're obviously having a lot of fun, & your instrument brings you joy. What more could a man want? BTW, you're snare looks interesting.

Any chance of putting some of your playing up?

A huge welcome to the forum. I hope to see you around here regularly so we can appreciate your journey.

Thank you very much!
No way is it a shitty kit, it's superb! Not only does it look very cool, but you should be very proud of your efforts here. Your post reminds me so much of the first post here from Leo. He's a valued member from Cuba, who built his own double pedal from scrap. He was inspiring to me, (& still is) and so are you. You're obviously having a lot of fun, & your instrument brings you joy. What more could a man want? BTW, you're snare looks interesting.

Any chance of putting some of your playing up?

A huge welcome to the forum. I hope to see you around here regularly so we can appreciate your journey.
Wow! I'd love to see that post!
Thanks you :D i really enjoy playing it, although it sometimes gives me headaches haha.
Oh, dont mistake! my snare is completely useless! The previous owner built it with a friend 10 years ago. Half of the lugs aren't working, i'm using 3 in each side! it has no strainer and finally, the shell is not 14", it is something like 13 3/4. It's a mess! Believe it or not, it kinda sounds like a snare, but i must definitely change it. I think i will buy a shell, a strainer and some lugs and i will build wooden hoops, but i'm not sure yet.

I guess i will upload some videos soon! i'm currently playing in a hardcore punk band as it is very easy to play, but i'll try to record something more entertaining than d-beats haha!

oooh yes! you'll see me around very often!

This is a great kit - a concept kit. I have seen kits wrapped with newspapers, magazine photos and other stuff. Be proud of your kit!

Strange that kits in Argentina are expensive. In the US, there is a glut of musical instruments and very good drum sets can be found on Craigslist for a couple of hundred dollars - an average day's wage for most Americans.

To the contrary, that kit is a classic! Totally cool!

Very nice... I'm emailing this pic into one of the podcasts I listen to. I'll let you know if they talk about it.

Hey Aguh, was there a specific series or book in particular that you used? If so which was it?

That's definitely a way to get chicks to come up to you and make conversation in between sets! Nice wrap!

Love it!!!!! I would have preferred X-men or Star Wars, but Bat Man is cool too. Great job......

This is a great kit - a concept kit. I have seen kits wrapped with newspapers, magazine photos and other stuff. Be proud of your kit!
Strange that kits in Argentina are expensive. In the US, there is a glut of musical instruments and very good drum sets can be found on Craigslist for a couple of hundred dollars - an average day's wage for most Americans.

Thank you!
A Gretsch Catalina cost something like $700 in US (am i right?) and here, it costs around $1,500. Imported sets have taxes, and national sets are usually bad.
I have an Ovation guitar which I bought in US a few years ago. It costed me around $400 and here they cost between $1500 and $2000 haha!
Very nice... I'm emailing this pic into one of the podcasts I listen to. I'll let you know if they talk about it.
hey! thats great, thank you very much!
I used a comic called "World Finest", starring Batman and Superman together.
387270_2652178097962_1061044772_32157904_1107052118_n.jpg

Nice & very unique. I'll bet you just added $500 bucks to the value. lol!
hahaha i wish!
That's definitely a way to get chicks to come up to you and make conversation in between sets! Nice wrap!
hahaha!
Love it!!!!! I would have preferred X-men or Star Wars, but Bat Man is cool too. Great job......
ooo star wars would have been awesome! such a pitty i didn't thought about it before! hahah.
_______
The drum costed me $400. Batman comics costed $6 both, vinyl costed $20 and maybe $4 more in glues and whatever, and a relative offered to powder coat the hoops for free.
I had a few ideas in mind. I was thinking also in jackson pollock'ing it! i really want to know how it would look like.
Jackson_Pollock_Untitled.jpg

Since you asked for opinions, the comics are more colorful and...accessible. The Jackson Pollack print, my honest opinion is that it looks messy and no one will "get it".
But I am not the most refined person in the world, so it may be a bit over my head. Comics are more my speed lol.

Since you asked for opinions, the comics are more colorful and...accessible. The Jackson Pollack print, my honest opinion is that it looks messy and no one will "get it".
But I am not the most refined person in the world, so it may be a bit over my head. Comics are more my speed lol.
hmm, true! it would have been like jackson pollock's paints hahah
Im planning to paint lugs in black, but first i need to decide whether i will build new lugs or not.

Back