Similar Evans heads to Aquarian

laxation

I have Aquarian Performance heads on my Tama rockstar and need new heads for recording.
My local drum shop who will tune the heads for me doesnt have Aquarian, only evans and some remo, so I have to get a set of these heads instead.

But because I'm doing it for recording, I can't really try them out before I buy them, which is a pain!

So does anyone know what evans heads are similar to performance?

Check this out: http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/products/drumhead-guide-comparison

Out of curiosity, why can't you try them out prior to recording? Is it a time thing or what? If you have time, put them on a day or 2 prior to the session and let them get nicely seated in. Play them little bit and get them tuned the way you like. When you get to the session, you will need to tweak them a bit anyway to get them dialed into the room.

Going in cold with unfamiliar heads sounds like asking for problems to me. Any time wasted in the studio costs $$ and your producer and engineer will appreciate you coming in prepared.

Sorry, that chart shows the Perfomance II heads to have no corresponding Remo or Evans head, but it sounds to me like they are closest to the Remo Pinstripe (2-ply with an adhesive ring).

Out of curiosity, why can't you try them out prior to recording? Is it a time thing or what?

Its more that if I buy a new set of heads, if I don't like them I won't be able to afford to get another set to record with.

I used to have pinstripes on the kit and didn't mind them, I will probably go back to them so, like you said, there isn't too many surprises going in to record.

Thanks for the link btw, was helpful.

There are a lot of things left out on that chart (posted above). The Evans EC2 SST heads are a great option in comparison to the Performance series. They're also less expensive than similar heads offered by our competitors. If you want something more open (worth considering in a studio environment) then check out the Evans G2's.

Cheers and best of luck in the studio!

Back