best snare under 250$??

The older Pearl Sensitone Steels with 10 lugs are awesome and they go on ebay all the time, sometimes for under $100 and in good condition. Probably the best cheaper steel snare you can get.

yeah I was sorta leaning on the steel snares..

In fact - you mention Chad Smith's sound, which is a Pearl Steel snare. I've seen it for sale - it DOES seem to fit your budget. However. I owned it and it did not do it for me, really... You can get the sensitones - which I like much better - for much less...

I would take a serious look at the bronze - it's just killer...

im considering picking up a used acro. my new band is about go do a demo. the only snare i have at the moment is a mapex m birch. i've never owned an acro or sensitone. do you guys recommend them for recording?

In fact - you mention Chad Smith's sound, which is a Pearl Steel snare. I've seen it for sale - it DOES seem to fit your budget. However. I owned it and it did not do it for me, really... You can get the sensitones - which I like much better - for much less...

I would take a serious look at the bronze - it's just killer...

thanks that's really helpful because I was thinking of getting the chad smith signature...

but right now, a steel sensitone brass or bronze is what I'm looking at

The only thing about the Chad Smith snare and his sound is that he doesn't actually use that snare. I doubt that he's ever used it in the studio.

That's gotta be a decent price because I paid $325 for mine back in '98 or '99, but it had tube lugs and single flange hoops with claw hooks and rim guards. I like the ebay one better though because the claw hooks on mine broke easily and the tube lugs eventually stripped.

the sensitones are going for good prices on ebay

BRONZE OR BRASS?

I'm a bronze dude. I know that I'm vastly outnumbered, but I would strongly encourage you to seek out a bronze drum and put it through its paces. You really need to taste this firsthand as there is no substitution for a first-person aural experience.

FWIW, I've played a 6 1/2 Pork Pie BOB and found it to be really versatile. Normally I'm not into deep drums, but you could get a great funk crack out of it as well as the deep hit in the middle. One of these is on my list for the next purchase.

I have an older 10 lug steel Sensitone in 6.5x14 that I love. I set it up with Pearl Mastercast die cast hoops top and bottom and Fat Cat 24 strand snare wires and it sounds awesome. I can get it to do anything I want.

so whats the word? do people recommend the acro for recording?

Keith Cronin is a long distance mentor and friend (based in Florida) who has plenty of session experience both live and in the studio. He has this sample page which will give you an idea of what to expect when miking up the Acrolite.

The drum did not do it for me in our last band's record, but that is because it is a very high energy, hard rock affair (www.filacteria.com). My Tama Starclassic ended up taking care of most of the tracks, even more so than the Brass on Brass BB my buddy lent me...

i play alternative rock mostly. would like to record with something better than my mapex m birch snare. i've been lookin at the sensitones elites as well, the used steel and aluminum models are priced very well

Last edited:
thanks

so far I'm looking at the pearl sensitone brass or the Ludwig Acrolite

I bought a 14" Pearl Sensitone Elite (the one that looks like its made of copper) about a year ago. It's unbelievable. If you are looking for a Carter Beauford snare, you should check it out. It has awesome crack, but still a good depth/low end. I crank it a little tighter than most people probably do though. I'm a huge Carter fan, and when I play along to songs like Ants Marching, I always feel like "wow, his snare drum at the beginning sounds just like the one I'm hitting now. For a sub$300 snare, it's great. Overall, I've had great luck with Pearl snare drums.

I bought a 14" Pearl Sensitone Elite (the one that looks like its made of copper) about a year ago. It's unbelievable. If you are looking for a Carter Beauford snare, you should check it out. It has awesome crack, but still a good depth/low end. I crank it a little tighter than most people probably do though. I'm a huge Carter fan, and when I play along to songs like Ants Marching, I always feel like "wow, his snare drum at the beginning sounds just like the one I'm hitting now. For a sub$300 snare, it's great. Overall, I've had great luck with Pearl snare drums.

I love his snare sound! What type of metal is your sensitone made of?

It's a 14 x 5 "Beaded Phospher Bronze" snare, with ten lugs. It goes for $263.40 USD online to give you a general idea. I usually keep a Remo Ambassador on it and its awesome. What I also like is its very versatile in the sense that it doesn't sound gimmicky (overly high or low or weird), it just sounds classic. Almost like, "this is what a snare drum should sound like".

Back