Hiring a Pearl Custom for recording?

laxation

Our band are recording our first ep in a month or so and the recorder said he has a Pearl Custom he said he can loan me for $100 for the week. Not sure what sort of Custom it is,

I use a Tama rockstar, and would probably have to re-head it for the recording anyway.

Do you guys think paying the extra 100 is worth it? We're doing this on the cheap paying just a little over a grand for a weeks recording+mastering.

Our band are recording our first ep in a month or so and the recorder said he has a Pearl Custom he said he can loan me for $100 for the week. Not sure what sort of Custom it is,

I use a Tama rockstar, and would probably have to re-head it for the recording anyway.

Do you guys think paying the extra 100 is worth it? We're doing this on the cheap paying just a little over a grand for a weeks recording+mastering.

Only if it comes with the guy who'll tune 'em up that knows 'em better than you do, then sure. But the other half of me is saying, you're paying for studio time, that doesn't sound like the time to be dealing with something new. I'd say spend the $100 on new heads, tune 'em right. Go through each drum and make sure you don't have any loose screws anywhere, you should be good to go with that.

Thats what I was thinking....

Its a Pearl Session Custom btw

Well, I suppose if you're comfortable with it, and they don't charge you the time to adjust it or re-tune it around before the session. But if I knew I could make my drums sound great and then be able to tweak it on the fly during the session, I'd rather do that. Every time I have to play what's provided, I always walk away with the feeling that I could've made it sound better if I had the time. And in this instance, you'll have to live with the recordings forever....so it depends on how you'll feel about the final product.

Unless I'm flying to a session, I make it a point to bring my own drums. I've bled and sweated over those things, I know how they work. Spend a little to change out the heads and save the rental fees, in my opinion.

Back