Mike Portnoy

Portnoy and ringo. I am the first person in history to mention both of them in the same line.
MP is a drummer you like or hate. You HAVE to listen to what he is doing...you are compelled to. ie what the hell did he just do, where the F is "1" and that made no sence, but it worked. I for one like to listen to music and not analize it as much as my drummer mind feels I have to. He is for the young whippersnappers out there....don't think too many of us 45+ guys like DT, but we all understand they are gifted to do what they do.

gmrakich said:
Portnoy and ringo. I am the first person in history to mention both of them in the same line.

You mean, the first after every single magazine interviewer who's ever done a piece on Portnoy? Portnoy references Ringo an awful lot.

Quadruple Groove said:
yea Portnoy is so much about the show, if you've ever watched a dvd with the option of showing only him playing: he does a lot of silly little things for pure show, sometimes plays ghost notes against his head, stick twirling etc.
yeah, i saw him playing at the 2003(?) MD, he was really good with Dream theater (it was a dvd), and he was always twirling the sticks and stuff, really good performer

gusty said:
yeah, i saw him playing at the 2003(?) MD, he was really good with Dream theater (it was a dvd), and he was always twirling the sticks and stuff, really good performer
Live at Budokan DVD? My second favorite DVD of theirs.

Since introduced to DT i have been a convert,an praise this band till my mates try stranglin me.There just amazing,every member,including mike portnoy.Hes an amazing talent,an quite funny too_Original and techincal,and if i was rich,my kmit would resemble his,hell why not :p

Re: Mike Pourtnoy

now your saying that mike portnoy was the type of person that went to berklee but didn't go to class, well what i know of mike is that he has been named best progressive drummer for 12 years in a row in modern drummer magazine and he has also been put into the drummers hall of fame. well when it comes to talking a lot of people can do that, but if you can do what mike portnoy does or better, than let your drumming do the talking!! but until i see that what you wrote is true and until i see that you can do better things than mike can on a simple drum!! i wouldn't talk about mikee!! that way!!

Re: Mike Pourtnoy

...he is a bit cocky.

He IS from Brooklyn. That happens alot down there.

Watch his Budokan dvd, he never sits down, and i heard he flicks people off during his concerts.

I've never heard of Mike flipping anyone off...and he does too sit down. He sits really high, and is really short, so it looks like he's standing, though he DOES play standing up on occasion. Why? I have absolutely no idea. The only offensive thing he does that I can think of is his ability to spit like a camel.

Ringo was one of his main influences, and he even has a Beatles tribute band, playing a Ringo kit (same finish, most likely same sizes, and im quite sure same kind of cymbals.)

i think portnoy is a good,solid drummer, but he's not that original like the greats.i also think he's too much of a neil peart clone,from what i've heard. but hey,you can't argue with success.

Moderator Edit: Post Deleted.

Please use more appropriate language if you'd like to contribute to this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that Portnoy and Nicko McBrain are the best drummers ever.

but that is my opinion, everybody has an opinion, and they are entitled to it.

Last edited:
this was thread created for opinions...you got mine about portnoy. i didn't say he was not good,he is...i don't care for his style,from what i've heard and i don't care for DT or liquid tensions' music.

no musician is THE best.
There are greats..
not everyone will agree on who those are.. it only matters what you personally think.

I have been a DT fan for a long time and like their stuff.. My tastes have changed over time and I don't listen to them all that much any more (metal in general), but those guys are insane musicians (I'm a guitarist and Petrucci has been one of my bigger influences).
They are all very technically proficient.
I also like melody and feel.. This is something that this band gets slammed on against all of the time and I don't buy it. I've heard some very cool melodic stuff from them.. It all comes down to styles and what does it for an individual.. If he does.. great.. if not.. well.. why waste time arguing about it??

Something else.. Portnoy IS that band in terms of running and promoting it.
He's not just a drummer.

You can't really measure something like creativity or musicianship.. THANKFULLY..
There's always someone better ;)

I'm not a drummer, but my personal favs are Gavin Harrison, Dennis Chambers, Matt Chamberlain, Vinnie Colaiuta, Ian Mosley, Nick D'Virgilio, Mark Zonder, Mike Portnoy (he's a blast to watch)

Brian
http://www.ephemeralsun.com
http://www.stewedyoe.com
http://www.myspace.com/bjoneill

I went to one of his clinics a number of years ago. He was very personable and did a great job fielding questions that he's heard a zillion times. Good guy, good drummer.

That's a well thought out and explained opinion.. There are plenty of folks out there that can technically slam both of them without blinking, but they happen to have some class and don't play to be better than someone else.
It's probably best to just better ourselves ;)

mike portnoy stinks. danny carey is so much better and way more creative.

mike portnoy is the best, THE BEST.....tiger woods is the best golfer, wayne gretzky is the best hockey player.....michael jordan is the best basketball player...mike portnoy is the best drummer.....george bush is the biggest moron

Back