Zildjian K Custom Rides - Dark Ride, Dark Complex Ride, and Hybrid Ride - VIDEO

SgtThump

Platinum Member
I wasn't happy with the Zildjian setup I had before, so I recently put these cymbals together in an attempt to find the most versatile range of tones I could get.

I bought the 21" K Custom Hybrid ride to have a heavier "rock" sounding ride that would cut in loud situations, but it almost doesn't quite fit sonically with the others. I guess this setup is pretty versatile, though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfDdC2e7pW0

Thoughts?

Chris

I'm lovin' that stick definition and wash of the first ride over your hi hats. My favorite of the three.

P.S. Nice use of dynamics!

Sorry guys. I had the cymbals listed from left to right in the YouTube description, but I should've pasted that here too.

-----

Recently put together this setup. From the drummers left, the cymbals are:

- 15" A. Zildjian New Beat Hi-Hats (new design)
- 20" K Custom Dark Ride
- 18" K Dark Thin Crash
- 10" K Splash (on top of crash)
- 21" K Custom Hybrid Ride
- 21" K Custom Dark Complex Ride

Drums are Yamaha Club Customs with Evans heads. Snare is a Pearl MCX Master Maple. Sticks are Vater Fusion with a wood ball tip.

Also, thanks for the replies! That K Custom Dark Ride is my favorite too. :) Here's a top view.

Attachments

• 20140405_131816.jpg
    20140405_131816.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 1,434
Duh - I just clicked the ink and watched the video. Guess I should have looked at the comments too. They all sound good.
But from the short listening, I think I'd prefer the Dark, then the Complex, and then the Hybrid - in that order.

Last edited:
...P.S. Nice use of dynamics!

Doh, I missed that comment! Thank you very much! I keep telling myself not to post excuses, but I can't help it. I'm a LONG TIME guitarist that started on drums a few years ago. I play in a rock band, but always try to be a jazz 'great' at home. LOL

Self taught (obviously.) I had many ways to express myself on guitar with notes, bends, pick harmonics, etc... The choices are almost endless. With drums, that's not so IMO. I really have to experiment with other ways to express myself without notes and stuff. That's where dynamics come in and I've been working hard on that. Thank you very much for the comments. That's all I need to keep me going! :)

Duh - I just clicked the ink and watched the video. Guess I should have looked at the comments too. They all sound good.
But from the short listening, I think I'd prefer the Dark, then the Complex, and then the Hybrid - in that order.

Me too for this type of playing. For rock, I have to assume the Hybrid Ride is the best choice, but I haven't taken my Zildjians to rehearsal or a gig yet (I used Paiste 2002s for the rock band.)

The dark ride is my favorite, but I'm almost positive it will really wash out with louder rock music. I've been experimenting with gaffers tape on the dark ride and the complex ride and man, that sure does change the stick sound! I may take these to rehearsal sometime soon and experiment with tape more.

K Custom Dark is one of the few things in Zildjian that floats my boat. I will probably get a set of them in the future after I sold mine the first time.

I like the 22, although, I'd probably get a 20 as well (they are generally crashable), the 18 Crash, and the 14 hats.

K Custom Dark is one of the few things in Zildjian that floats my boat. I will probably get a set of them in the future after I sold mine the first time.

I like the 22, although, I'd probably get a 20 as well (they are generally crashable), the 18 Crash, and the 14 hats.

I wish I could've heard the 22" or even compared the 20" and 22" side-by-side, but I didn't get that chance. I loved the way the 20" sounded, so I snagged it. Great cymbal IMO!

The dark one has a surprisingly good crash.

... For rock, I have to assume the Hybrid Ride is the best choice...

Ya - I think that's right. I've tried that Hybrid ride a few times and like it a lot.
It's in a somewhat different category than the other two though. A bit brighter and louder.
A lot of it's in the playing too though.

Ya - I think that's right. I've tried that Hybrid ride a few times and like it a lot.
It's in a somewhat different category than the other two though. A bit brighter and louder.
A lot of it's in the playing too though.

I just found out that my 21" Hybrid Ride seems to be a fairly heavy specimen when I compare the weight (3114g) to others I see online. I like the fact it really does sound different when played on the lathed are compared to the unlathed area. I had the 20" version a few years ago and it was MUCH lighter and sounded totally different. The differences definitely aren't just an inch in size, but the weight too.

It crashes surpsingly well for the weight, even if it doesn't have alot of deep low end to the tone. It will likely work fantastic in the rock band when I want to use something other than my Paiste 2002s.

Haven't been on here in a while and just saw your posts on K Custom cymbals. I also changed my set-up over the last two years by getting rid of my vintage 50s and 60s A's and going to K Custom Darks. I really like the sound these produce and prefer them to the Hybrids. I don't however like heavy cymbals - my heaviest is a 20" medium ride. All others are in the light and extra-light weight ranges.

Cymbals shown left to right are:
14" K Custom Dark hi-hats 1050grams Top / 1250 grams Bottom
17" K Custom Dark crash 1210 grams
12" K Custom Dark splash 430 grams
14" K Custom Dark crash 680 grams
16" K Custom Dark crash 1020 grams
20" K Custom Dark ride 2190 grams

Attachments

• DSCN0180-2 ca 700.jpg
    DSCN0180-2 ca 700.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 1,150
Back