Peter Steele 1962 - 2010

Rock In Peace, Mr. Steele.

Wolfmoon.............Thanks, for letting us know.

Yes . . same here. There will never be another like him. Statements from band members below.

Josh Silver: “Peter, My endless source of frustration, (as I'm yours) you have really done it this time. You have changed and touched countless lives through music, comedy and often brutal honesty. You've made life both interesting and irritating and I could not imagine not having known you for 37 years. It still isn't true in my mind but in time I will miss you and the creating that we all endured together. We certainly disagreed constantly and I believe (and hope) we all learned from each other. Should I call you my brother, friend or neighbor? I can only call you Peter (and usually after 2 PM). We laughed at ourselves more times then I can count. Knowing humans are preposterous creatures and I know we reveled in that fact. I will miss you in time, but at this moment your premature departure seems surreal and has pissed me off to no end. Though I never told you that I harbor a deep respect for you, I do. Goodbye my friend.”

Kenny Hickey: “Peter Steele was one of the most brilliant and funny personalities in music and it was all for real. Half the time people thought he was joking, but he was actually telling the truth. Part of me died with him.”

Johnny Kelly: “It’s impossible for me to put into a few sentences what I am feeling at the moment Peter. I’m not sure if I should eulogize or roast you. Both good and bad, we went on one hell of a ride together and sadly, the ride has come to an end. You truly were a unique person. Your music touched many people. Myself included. Whether it was talking about The Beatles, power tools, how Pluto was no longer considered a planet or calling me at 3am asking me to drive to your house to have a fistfight with you, you always kept it interesting. It was a privilege to have been your bandmate. It’s something that I will always cherish.”

From Bill Ward, Black Sabbath.

Peter Steele / Type O Negative
Posted on Apr.16, 2010, under Misc Items

The flamboyant ambassador of Metal’s substratum is dead. I am diverted from my next indicated thing to do. I am compelled to pause and digress and re-listen to one of my all-time favorite bands, Type O Negative. I fall into memorable moments, to enhance my first discoveries of Peter Steele.

I don’t want to believe he’s died. I’ve felt in shock since the early morning sad news of today arrived. Peter Steele – a brilliant musician, songwriter, singer has died. His death is a tragedy and heartbreaking. His passing is an enormous loss to the Metal community and to music period.

In music, he challenged life itself in a poetic, prophetic, charismatic and extraordinarily insightful way. A world observer, a teller of tales, a renaissance man, a man from the future, a powerful force in today’s maladies and life challenges.

This man will not be forgotten. I raise my goblet of water and praise him. I thank him, and I burn candles and desire incense aromas to fill our house, now illuminated in his honour. Candles burning outside flicker, and the sea crashes onto the shore. We are still. We are in memory.

Peter, you will be celebrated forever.

–Bill Ward

PS: A profound statement.

Last edited:
From Bill Ward, Black Sabbath.

Peter Steele / Type O Negative
Posted on Apr.16, 2010, under Misc Items

The flamboyant ambassador of Metal’s substratum is dead. I am diverted from my next indicated thing to do. I am compelled to pause and digress and re-listen to one of my all-time favorite bands, Type O Negative. I fall into memorable moments, to enhance my first discoveries of Peter Steele.

I don’t want to believe he’s died. I’ve felt in shock since the early morning sad news of today arrived. Peter Steele – a brilliant musician, songwriter, singer has died. His death is a tragedy and heartbreaking. His passing is an enormous loss to the Metal community and to music period.

In music, he challenged life itself in a poetic, prophetic, charismatic and extraordinarily insightful way. A world observer, a teller of tales, a renaissance man, a man from the future, a powerful force in today’s maladies and life challenges.

This man will not be forgotten. I raise my goblet of water and praise him. I thank him, and I burn candles and desire incense aromas to fill our house, now illuminated in his honour. Candles burning outside flicker, and the sea crashes onto the shore. We are still. We are in memory.

Peter, you will be celebrated forever.

–Bill Ward

PS: A profound statement.

It sure is ...............

He was unique, those kind of people that are so messed up but at the same time so brilliant are very few and far between. He had a weird way of looking at things that was so brutally honest and refreshing you couldn't help but agree, no matter how depreciating it was. Life was messed up, so messed up all you could do about it was make fun of it to take the sting off.

Peter has been more than a musical inspiration over the years for me. Type O were one of my first favourite bands when I was younger and I still listen to their music and enjoy it to this day.

I have more respect for him then almost anyone else I have never met and many that I have. His music will always continue to be a huge influence on my life.

An outstanding commitment from a true hardcore fan.

He was unique, those kind of people that are so messed up but at the same time so brilliant are very few and far between. He had a weird way of looking at things that was so brutally honest and refreshing you couldn't help but agree, no matter how depreciating it was. Life was messed up, so messed up all you could do about it was make fun of it to take the sting off.

Peter has been more than a musical inspiration over the years for me. Type O were one of my first favourite bands when I was younger and I still listen to their music and enjoy it to this day.

I have more respect for him then almost anyone else I have never met and many that I have. His music will always continue to be a huge influence on my life.

I had a similar thing happen at 1 of there shows but instead of getting clocked on the head with a water bottle . . . . . it was a roll of toilet paper. It was a Halloween show and they ended the show by throwing out roll after roll of Toilet paper. The place was a mess ;) All in good fun. I'll sure miss those times.

another one bites the dust....... I'm sure he's already jammin in a band on the other side!

Peter Steele 1962 2010

OFF-TOPIC:
Hehe, ill say its more like JLo & BAffleck, or right now, Brad and Angelina, as both arent/werent married just like Peter & Camilla BradP&JenniferA were married and ended up split..

But yes, in terms of popularity, looking good together etc., yah PGade&CMartin were similar to BradP&JenniferA..

Back