Will a 26" bass drum be too big?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If YOU like it, buy it. That's it in a nut shell

If you're ponying up the dough for the set then get what YOU want.

That said, I think it's too much, but it's yours not mine. A 24 is a great compromise.

After lurking these forums for quite awhile, I finally had a need to make an account! So, here's the story: I was looking at a Ludwig Centennial for the practice room. I've played on the kit and love it, and the 26" bass drum on the Zep variation can really have a great sound in my opinion. However, someone else may be playing on the kit, and they're only 5'2 and weigh around 110 lbs. Does anybody think that they may be too small or should we go ahead and buy it?

Is the 'someone else' going to be the primary player of the kit?
Not near enough details - are you both going to be buying it?
What does the someone else think about it?

I'm 5' 1" (on a good day) and I played a 26 at one point. I loved the sound and made it work but in the end I let it go and eventually went back to a 22. I play out a lot and the logistics of hauling around a 26 proved to be too much for me.

Alright, thanks for the replies everyone. We're both putting the same amount of cash into the kit. Turns out she had had the opportunity to actually play somebody's 26"-she really liked it and didn't seem to have any trouble. We're not moving the kit anywhere, so that's a non-issue. Again, thanks for all your insight! I didn't exactly anticipate her playing a set, but I'm glad she found one! Again, thanks for all the answers ^-^

I currently play a 24" and I've played a 26" a couple times and there's definitely a difference from playing a 22" to bigger drums, when I switched from 22" to 24" I had to tighten the spring tension on my pedal and move my beater up a bit to get it where it needed to be. With a 26" I'd imagine there would need to be a number of adjustments made to the pedal, spring tension, beater height, possibly beater angle/location, etc but it's manageable and totally worth it!

Good luck!

I couldnt imagine playing with such a beast. I use a 20" BD and having the toms raised by 6" would mean tom angles of awfull proportions. Also, how do you move and transport something that big? I have to think about geting through doors without losing knuckle skin when my BD is bagged, what do you do when moving a 26" in its bag/case, take the wall out?

I play a 26 and before that I played a 20 for 15 years. Took a couple of weeks to adjust, but nothing brutal. You get used to it.

Had a couple of 26" bass drums in my time and I miss them.

Had a 26x20 bass drum which had a great tone to it but was a bit on the impractical side for gigging.

My favourite was the old 70s 26x14 Hayman bass drum I had, monster tone and it was loud with a capital F. I had a reso head with a soundhole and the air from the drum would part hair at the back of the room. That was a great kit 26x14/13x9/16x16 don't know what wood Haymans were built from but it looked like a DW with imperial tension rods.

I've played a 28x14 which was all kinds of nice it had a 10x6 tom and a 14x8 floor, but now we're in silly country.

Get a 26", it's a mans bass drum!

I'm 5' 1" (on a good day) and I played a 26 at one point. I loved the sound and made it work but in the end I let it go and eventually went back to a 22. I play out a lot and the logistics of hauling around a 26 proved to be too much for me.

Bo, I'm seeing a disturbing trend in your avatar pics. A while ago it was a hot chick, followed by a hotter chick, now its you with a hot chick . . . where is this going, bud?

GeeDeeEmm

Alright, thanks for the replies everyone. We're both putting the same amount of cash into the kit. Turns out she had had the opportunity to actually play somebody's 26"-she really liked it and didn't seem to have any trouble.
Post pictures when you get the kit, please.​

Now... I have a question

The length of the beater?

Don't you want your beater strike somewhere close to the middle of the batter? Or does it matter?

Bo, I'm seeing a disturbing trend in your avatar pics. A while ago it was a hot chick, followed by a hotter chick, now its you with a hot chick . . . where is this going, bud?

GeeDeeEmm

That's me with the same hot chick. She's real. The photo is funny, look at my left hand placement. We took the picture and then I noticed it. I'm actually holding the fence we were next to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back