Iron Cobra Rolling Glide or DW9000?

Volentry

Hey everyone in Drummerworld! I just registered an account here, and the forums seems great!

Anyway a question I really would want to ask is: What is better for doublebass drumming for beginner-to-intermediate level drumming, the Iron Cobra Rolling Glide (HP900RSW) or the DW 9002 drum pedals?

I searched the net for information regarding the pedals, but the information the TAMA and DW sites give me makes me kind of confused :( Thus I thought it would be better if I got thoughts from the drumming community.

Thankyou for your help! :D

Welcome to the forum!

For the price, the Iron Cobra would be ideal. The 9002 is of slightly better quality, but the price cannot be justified. Stick to looking at an Iron Cobra, or Pearl and Yamaha's equivalents.

Welcome to the forum!

For the price, the Iron Cobra would be ideal. The 9002 is of slightly better quality, but the price cannot be justified. Stick to looking at an Iron Cobra, or Pearl and Yamaha's equivalents.

agreed.
for the price, iron cobra, but also look at the pearl eliminator

The Tama RG hands down. Much lighter spring and board than the DW therefore it would be better for you.
The DW pedals are great, just expensive for what they are. They are smooth like the others but feel heavy.

The way I look at it is.. get the Tama because there's a couple hundred dollar difference between the 9002 and ICRG. The DW isnt worth that difference. When you're planning on upgrading your pedal to something better.. spend that extra money on a Demon drive eliminator, Trick or Axis pedal. A couple hundred more than the DW 9002 but these are high end pro pedals that make the 9002 obsolete. More pros use high end direct drive pedals, Trick or Axis than the people who use dw's or iron cobras or eliminators.

Yay thanks so much for your input! :D Btw, I asked a friend of mine who is also a drummer about the prices of these two pedals. Supposedly the DW9000 is 800SGD, while the Iron Cobras are around 400-500SGD.

The Big Beat mentioned something about the Pearl Eliminators, I've heard about those pedals. Comparing the price and quality of the Iron Cobra and the Eliminators, which would you suggest?

Eliminators are the all around best I think. You can adjust them into any pedal you want. If you have an IC Rolling glide and want the action of a Powerglide, you have to buy new pedals. On the Elims you can just switch cams and change your pedals feel.

Eliminators are the all around best I think. You can adjust them into any pedal you want. If you have an IC Rolling glide and want the action of a Powerglide, you have to buy new pedals. On the Elims you can just switch cams and change your pedals feel.
I went to do some research on the Eliminators, and this is what I got: Link

There are only 2 kinds of double bass pedals in that list, which are the P-2002C and P-122TW. Which is the kind of Eliminators you guys are talking about?

Edit: What are the differences between Powerglide and Rolling Glide (Iron Cobra)?

Last edited:
Eliminators come with a set of about 3 or 4 different cams. The cams are what he is referring to being interchangable. I believe theres a double chain, maybe single chain and a strap drive model for powershifter eliminator. All models come with those cool cams. Red, blue, black and white.

I've owned both, an eliminator and an iron cobra. I never really cared too much about changing cams but I do agree its convenient. Anyone who goes out and buys a new pedal for a different type of cam is silly.. why not just buy a better pedal?

More importantly the elim and IC have much different feel, not just because of the cams. The eliminator is very light, loose and springy. I felt like I could play faster tempos with the eliminators feeling that way but I had to focus on playing it clean.
The Iron Cobra might transform as much, but for what I need its perfect. Its smooth, feels precise, heavier feel than the eliminator but still lighter than a DW pedal. I like how I can never feel the spring or any movement really, it just feels like the pedal is floating.

The P-2002C(B) is the model number for the powershiter eliminator that we're talking about. The p-122twin is the more affordable, predecessor model.

Power glide is the most common IC model. The difference is in the cam, the shape it's like... claw shaped. The rolling glide cam is round and its the same cam that I have on my flexi-glide. The flexi has a kevlar strap instead of chains.
Personally I think the descriptions of the pedals on Tama's site are misleading. I prefer the other models over power glide, but the way they make things sound is power glide is the best for heavy music and powerful playing.
If you're really fast with double kick but lack power, get the power glide. The shape of the cam aids power in the stroke. If you hit really hard with the pedals like I do, go for the rounded rolling cam or flexi. It'll add more speed to your playing. That's what I've found with it anyway.

Has anyone else seen/had issues with the cams wearing down very quickly in the 9000s?

Eliminators come with a set of about 3 or 4 different cams. The cams are what he is referring to being interchangable. I believe theres a double chain, maybe single chain and a strap drive model for powershifter eliminator. All models come with those cool cams. Red, blue, black and white.

I've owned both, an eliminator and an iron cobra. I never really cared too much about changing cams but I do agree its convenient. Anyone who goes out and buys a new pedal for a different type of cam is silly.. why not just buy a better pedal?

More importantly the elim and IC have much different feel, not just because of the cams. The eliminator is very light, loose and springy. I felt like I could play faster tempos with the eliminators feeling that way but I had to focus on playing it clean.
The Iron Cobra might transform as much, but for what I need its perfect. Its smooth, feels precise, heavier feel than the eliminator but still lighter than a DW pedal. I like how I can never feel the spring or any movement really, it just feels like the pedal is floating.

The P-2002C(B) is the model number for the powershiter eliminator that we're talking about. The p-122twin is the more affordable, predecessor model.

Power glide is the most common IC model. The difference is in the cam, the shape it's like... claw shaped. The rolling glide cam is round and its the same cam that I have on my flexi-glide. The flexi has a kevlar strap instead of chains.
Personally I think the descriptions of the pedals on Tama's site are misleading. I prefer the other models over power glide, but the way they make things sound is power glide is the best for heavy music and powerful playing.
If you're really fast with double kick but lack power, get the power glide. The shape of the cam aids power in the stroke. If you hit really hard with the pedals like I do, go for the rounded rolling cam or flexi. It'll add more speed to your playing. That's what I've found with it anyway.
Thanks for the input! However I have a really newbie question to ask, what's a cam?

The cam is the round "wheel" looking thing, also resembles a gear. Its the part where the chain or strap sits on and a different curvature will affect the pull.

The cam is the round "wheel" looking thing, also resembles a gear. Its the part where the chain or strap sits on and a different curvature will affect the pull.
Ah thanks for the info man.

Question, if Iron Cobras have Rolling Glide, Power Glide, and Flexi Glide as individual pedals, what you guys are talking about the Eliminators is that it's sort of like all 3 rolled into one pedal?

Ah thanks for the info man.

Question, if Iron Cobras have Rolling Glide, Power Glide, and Flexi Glide as individual pedals, what you guys are talking about the Eliminators is that it's sort of like all 3 rolled into one pedal?

Well, sort of. The pedal comes with 4 different cams that you can interchange. These different cams will transform the pedal into the equivalent of the Iron Cobra's rolling glide, power glide, and flexi glide.

Well, sort of. The pedal comes with 4 different cams that you can interchange. These different cams will transform the pedal into the equivalent of the Iron Cobra's rolling glide, power glide, and flexi glide.
Hmm, I get it now. Thanks for the help guys! :D

Has anyone else seen/had issues with the cams wearing down very quickly in the 9000s?

There really is nothing to wear down on the cam on that pedal there are no teeth on it. Been playing one for 2 years and no problems ;-)

If you are going to shell out for the DW9000, then go all out for the Trick pedals.
Both are good pedals no doubt. I always comes down to what feel you want. No one can really tell you.

My plug for Trick has to do with performance based outside of personal perception. In other words, I can't tell you what feels better for you, only about the pedals performance in and of themselves.

Tricks are silent, fast, solid, sturdy. They are the Rolls Royce of pedals. But if you are looking for a particular feeling, only playing them will tell you if they are right for you.

I love em!!

John "Crash" Jones
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheWolvesRock

Back