Obvious rudiments in songs

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
So at my weekly open mic thing this guy gets up, to look at him you never would have thought he'd pick this tune....the guy is thick built, short and stocky, with shorts that sit between his knee and ankle, (we used to mock people for wearing "flood pants", now everybody does it) chains hanging off everywhere, baseball hat, wearing a black, "metal band " T shirt ....a very metal looking guy.

He gets up to sing (not good at all) and he picks Buddy Holly's "Peggy Sue"

ALL- righty then.

I say "Oh cool, I get to play paradiddles for a whole song!" Which I did, ala Jerry Allison (Crickets drummer)

Just made me wonder if there are other songs with blatantly obvious rudiments as a major part of the song, or section of a song. I can't really think of any. But that's why I have you guys.

That paradiddle groove fits "Peggy Sue" just right. Trying to imagine a back beat to that song.....Nah!

Excluding singles and doubles and flams is one of the conditions, or every song could be referenced.

Everything by David Garibaldi. Which makes sense because he has a concert snare and military band background.

pretty much any record Steve Gadd graces

his Army roots leak through quite often

Steve Gadd is a product of Eastman and the great John Beck. He was great before he walked into the army.

Deep Purple's, You Fool No One is pretty much a paradiddle from go to woe.

(Alluded to in Taye-Dyed's post, but in case no-one clicks on the link.......there it is in lights)

Them's paradiddles or I'll eat my cyber hat.

It's The End of the World as We Know it by R.E.M. starts with a few 4-stroke ruffs on the snare, doesn't it? Or am I remembering that wrong? Maybe it's 5-strokes . . .

Back