Marching Corp Basics

JayTee

Hi guys!

In Australia we don't really get exposed to much marching corp, especially to level which some of you American guys would have in High School.

What I'm looking for are the absolute basics. Positions, hand technique (trad grip primarily), posture, marching advice. Absolutely anything which isn't a ridiculous hybrid rudiment for chopping out. I want it to be really gritty, basics stuff.

Any help at all is appreciated, whether it just be resource sharing or exercises which have helped your playing.

Thanks so much,

Jack.

Check out Bill Bachman's books. Also:

drumworkout.com for practicing.

Which part of Australia are you studying percussion in?

If you are in South Australia, you can find some drum corps material in the Elder Conservatorium library in U of Adelaide.

Not sure how much info you can find out online, but probably the biggest name in the percussion world for Australia would be Jim Bailey. From what I heard, he single handedly introduced drumcorps to Australia. Not to mention that he's recently awarded by the Percusive Arts Society for his contributions to percussion n Australia. He was formerly the head of percussion for Elder Con too. Not sure if he's still teaching part time now.

Back