New-ish drummer looking for new material

daronmal

I play drums not very seriously, more for a benefit of getting a work out and having something to do with the music I like. I'm not really looking to get into playing jazz or playing in a band yet, if ever, for now just for my own enjoyment, but recently I've been running out of new songs to play. For reference, I'll list songs I can play in order by band:

Alice in Chains - Man in the Box

Avenged Sevenfold - Critical Acclaim, Almost Easy, Bat Country, Seize The Day, Nightmare, Welcome To The Family, Danger Line, Buried Alive, So Far Away, God Hates Us, Fiction, Unholy Confessions

Disturbed - Indestructible, Inside the Fire, Voices, The Game, Stupify, Down With The Sickness (Newest song :D Love the intro too much), Meaning of Life, Stricken

Ghost (Ghost BC) - Year Zero, Cirice, Ritual

Green Day - All of American Idiot album, Basket Case, Brain Stew

Limp Bizkit - My Generation, Take A Look Around, Boiler, Gold Cobra, Shotgun, Eat You Alive, Build a Bridge, Nookie, Break Stuff, Re-Arranged, 9 Teen 90 Nine

Mastodon - Colony of Birchmen, Oblivion, Blood and Thunder, High Road

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell, 5 Minutes Alone, I'm Broken, 13 Steps to Nowhere, Walk, This Love

System of a Down - Basically every song except the couple I dislike.

Tool - Schism (Work in Progress)

As you can tell, I like metal, heavy/hard rock, and metal, I dont have double bass yet but I plan to get it before the end of the year. What other bands/songs do you guys think I would like?

I'm not a rock guy at all, and I'm fairly certain that I've never (consciously) listened to 99% of these songs, but I know that Tool drum parts are supposed to be pretty intense.

I know Schism, because that came up a few months ago on a post, and it's in an interesting meter: 6.5/8 (most of us would call this 13/16).

If you are able to work on that song and get the odd meters and the meter changes down, I'd stay on that road and try more songs that require odd meter. Most drummers I know can play simple meters (2/4, 3/4, 4/4) and compound meters (12/8, 6/4, 9/8), but they struggle when they get to complex meters (5/4, 7/4, 11/8) and fractional meters (6.5/8, 2.5/4).

Tool seems to have some odd meters, maybe try some more from their catalog; working with these sorts of songs will really help your sense of time.

Back