Best online resource for artists drum gear info?

rmac86

I’m a real nerd for drum gear, and especially like knowing what other artists are using! Generally I’d just search Wikipedia or Equipboard if I wanted to know a particular artists set up, but lately I’ve been finding this challenging especially for likes of new artists. Or sometimes Wiki only lists gear used on the artists most recent tour, for example Chad Smith’s page only lists his new Pearl acrylic kit, and no mention of his kits used in Chickenfoot or the Bombastic Meatbats, and they are obviously all very different.

There are sometimes artist profiles on the manufacturers sites such as Pearl and Zildjian, but even then what if the artist uses some weird custom made drums and cymbals? Like for example I was recently trying to find info on Mike Miley’s (Rival Sons) gear and neither Wiki nor Equipboard were showing anything. Then admittedly a recent interview with Mike and couple of YT videos popped up where he talks through his current Gretsch USA Custom, but there are still some that I just can’t work out what they use.

So what sites / resources would you guys use? Has anyone here ever thought about pulling together some sort of resource? Might be a cool tool for us gear geeks – I can’t be the only one!

Thanks,

R.

In many cases, you may deduce that whatever the drummer endorses and is pictured playing, is what he's using. This info is usually on drum company and the drummer's sites.

But in many more cases, those pictures may not be completely accurate, or helpful. Drummers may use non-endorsed gear in some situations and, if the drummer exercises discretion, pictures don't exist. :)

For example, I use a lot of different Ludwig drums, and seeing me behind one kit doesn't necessarily tell you what I use each time I play or record.

Bermuda

So what sites / resources would you guys use? Has anyone here ever thought about pulling together some sort of resource? Might be a cool tool for us gear geeks – I can’t be the only one!

There's also the option of contacting the artist and asking them. Be friendly and brief and you will typically get a response.

On a related note, Keith Moon is a dick and hasn't responded to a single e-mail yet.

There's also the option of contacting the artist and asking them. Be friendly and brief and you will typically get a response.

On a related note, Keith Moon is a dick and hasn't responded to a single e-mail yet.

I have had the same issue with John Bonham, I guess we just have to keep trying.......

Back