No more Guitar Center for me after this

I'm going to stop shopping there too because of this. Sorry, GC, you lose. Plenty of other places to get stuff. No need to go there after all.

So, no anger at the union group that is just trying to inflate its payer rolls? I mean I realize it's the HuffingtonAndPuffington Post, but these things don't happen in a vacuum.

Why should GC be forced to unionize?

The next wave will be dead peasant life insurance for everyone.

And you will be a sheep even more.

So, no anger at the union group that is just trying to inflate its payer rolls? I mean I realize it's the HuffingtonAndPuffington Post, but these things don't happen in a vacuum.

From the article: "In 2013, RWDSU won elections at three Guitar Center stores, including Las Vegas, but the union is still without a contract at any of them."

FORCED?

Ummm, because a majority of the employees at three stores voted to unionize those three stores. You know, like democracy.

Guitar Center is not unionized. Employers cannot unionize. Employees join together to become a union. Maybe you should learn something about the subject before you spout off.

this isn't strictly about unions, it bans any class action suit against GC and forces people to go to an arbitrator that probably has a good relationship with GC

the part that pisses me off is that they won't even talk about it on their social accounts. like fine, you're gonna make this controversial move, but you gotta fucking explain yourself. they're deleting posts from people who are trying to ask them about it on their facebook. It's a bad look and regardless of their reasoning, it makes them look very opaque and is if they know they are only doing it to benefit their short/long-term bottom line.

From the article: "In 2013, RWDSU won elections at three Guitar Center stores, including Las Vegas, but the union is still without a contract at any of them."

FORCED?

Three stores? Out of how many?

And if you're threatening legal action, yeah, I would say that's forcing.

I understand a lot of people have been raised with the idea that "unions are an absolute good". But nothing is an absolute good. I certainly think that if you want to run a business and don't want to deal with union nonsense, you should have that right.

Ummm, because a majority of the employees at three stores voted to unionize those three stores. You know, like democracy.

... but that's not democracy. Employment is not a democratic situation. Sure it's nice when you listen to your workers, but sometimes the workers want more than they're earning.

See? I made a point, and I did so without insulting you.

Last edited:
this isn't strictly about unions, it bans any class action suit against GC and forces people to go to an arbitrator that probably has a good relationship with GC

the part that pisses me off is that they won't even talk about it on their social accounts. like fine, you're gonna make this controversial move, but you gotta fucking explain yourself. they're deleting posts from people who are trying to ask them about it on their facebook. It's a bad look and regardless of their reasoning, it makes them look very opaque and is if they know they are only doing it to benefit their short/long-term bottom line.

I don't know, in some sense yes I'm playing devil's advocate here, but that's largely because almost any time you're encouraged to get angry about something it's to stop you thinking about it critically.

The very real fact is that people sue over nonsense, and they generally win. And class action suits just make lawyers rich - look at what actually happened in the "Erin Brockovich" case, not the myth, but what the lawyers did with the money.

GC seems to be circling the drain, I imagine they're just fighting to stay alive. We can't keep larding employers up with burden after burden and then wondering why they're replacing us with self-check-out machines.

I would like GC to openly state why they're doing this, but in reality that's lose-lose too. No justification will be enough for the people who just want them to unionize.

The odd thing is we have competing narratives here. People say oh I go into a GC and it's idiots who know nothing and don't want to help. Yeah, well, if you complain you can get them fired. What happens when those idiots have union protection of their job?

Most mercantile and service industry jobs require you sign an arbitration agreement as a condition for employment.

So no Wal Mart,Olive Grrden ,MacDonald's.etc.

I don't like or agree with this.

But I have to ask all you people who say you won't buy from GC,
what protections do the employees of your local mom and pop stores have?

I'm guessing, that at a ma and pa store if they fudge with your hours, you can sue them for the discrepancy. I use to work a a retailer where the manager was fixing time punches to void all overtime. The company was sued for back wages, and the manager was fired. If this happens at GC now it appears as if an arbitrator would decide the final outcome. Pretty big difference. and they know they have you over the barrel since their lawyers are bigger than yours. The next action will be to rid themselves of all full time employees to avoid benefits.

For me, the bottom line is that there shouldn't be a reason for Unions to exist. Employees should be treated and compensated fairly and not live in constant fear of having their job taken away. Corporations should be able to unencumbere themselves of low-performing and problem (theft/embezelment/etc) employees without having to spend 10x the employee's annual salary on legal fees and risk a strike.

Perhaps in this current era of peace and harmony, humanity will finally find their way...... (Cracks up laughing)

Last edited:
I'm guessing, that at a ma and pa store if they fudge with your hours, you can sue them for the discrepancy. I use to work a a retailer where the manager was fixing time punches to void all overtime. The company was sued for back wages, and the manager was fired. If this happens at GC now it appears as if an arbitrator would decide the final outcome. Pretty big difference. and they know they have you over the barrel since their lawyers are bigger than yours. The next action will be to rid themselves of all full time employees to avoid benefits.

Most of the lower level companies don't offer full time employment anyway (Sears ,Kmart,Wal Mart).
Very hard to get full time bennies.
I worked at Sears and Kmart back in my college days and about 90% were part time not by choice.
Things haven't changed much.
I would never work retail again.

If push came to shove, such an agreement might be considered to be signed under duress, and therefore not binding. Hard to say what 'rights' an employee has when they're hired "at will" in the first place.

Three stores? Out of how many?

And if you're threatening legal action, yeah, I would say that's forcing.

I understand a lot of people have been raised with the idea that "unions are an absolute good". But nothing is an absolute good. I certainly think that if you want to run a business and don't want to deal with union nonsense, you should have that right.

... but that's not democracy. Employment is not a democratic situation. Sure it's nice when you listen to your workers, but sometimes the workers want more than they're earning.

See? I made a point, and I did so without insulting you.

You don't get it. In the United States of America you have freedom of association. I guess that you want to get rid of that. If the majority of employees vote in a fair election to join a union, (there are more employees than owners BTW) then the company has to recognize that fact and by law must bargain with them in good faith. That is the law. But I guess that you prefer feudalism instead.

Judging from my local GC...I live in a fairly populated suburb, and my local GC used to be stacked to the ceiling with stuff. I just went in there yesterday to return a Supralite, and there was hardly anything in the store. Inventory like 20% of what it used to be. Two total employees covering every department.

They used to have a person working the door, greeting people and checking your receipt before you leave the store. Now there's no one at the front desk. The place looks like ghost town. I thought I heard an echo in the store lol. Hardly any gear. I can't see them surviving like this another year, it was dismal.

I commented to the guy helping me and he said that GC was trying to make their stores more like Apple stores....whatever that meant.

Back