Gretsch New Classic

I really love the Gretsch New Classic vintage glass nitron wrap but am not sure where New Classics rank in the hierarchy of all of the Gretsch drums. Are they considered more intermediate or closer to the top of the line? What would they compare to from the other companies? Would also love to hear your opinion of these drums. Thanks.

Although considered professional kits, I believe that the New Classics are not made in the USA, only the Gretsch USA Customs are still made in the US. I'm not quit sure where their Brooklyn series are manufactured. I do know that my Gretsch Renown drums are made in Taiwan. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

To answer your question, In the not too distant past, it use to be the USA Customs, then the New Classics and then the Renowns. I believe the Brooklyn series is between the USA Customs and the New Classics.

Dennis

Dennis that is correct..............

The Brooklyn are also made in the USA

I believe that the New Classics are not made in the USA,

Well, knock me down with a feather!! I would have bet (and subsequently lost) good money on that one.

In that case, who the hell would bother? Other than some old school looking lugs, why are they so much more than the Renowns? Hardly screams value for money now that I've found this out.

Sorry for the bum steer OP.

Last edited:
PFOG, I have a set of New Classics, pictured in my avatar. They are beautiful looking and sounding...even though they are not manufactured in the US.

PFOG, I have a set of New Classics, pictured in my avatar. They are beautiful looking and sounding...even though they are not manufactured in the US.

Oh, I'm not questioning their sound mate......or their looks for that matter. They are indeed beautiful drums. Heard 'em.....love 'em. It's more their price point lead me to believe they were a lot closer to the Gretsch USA's than what they obviously are. Given that the main differences between them and the Renowns now only seems to come down to different lugs and the varying shell thickness on the NC's, I'm just wondering if there is really that much more bang for your buck given such a big discrepancy in price.

Well, knock me down with a feather!! I would have bet (and subsequently lost) good money on that one.

In that case, who the hell would bother? Other than some old school looking lugs, why are they so much more than the Renowns? Hardly screams value for money now that I've found this out.

Sorry for the bum steer OP.
The New Classics are indeed Asian made, but according to this review, you'd never know it.

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/drums/acoustic/drum-kits/5-piece-drum-kits/new-classic-kit-17429

Their USA custom hardware is all Asian made anyhow (nothing wrong with that), so the only difference is the manufacturing location of the shell.

Either way, both nice sets:)

Do a search and here and you'll find a lot of love for these drums.

I own a USA and a New Classic set and love them both equally.

I am a die hard Gretsch fan, and these are the only Gretsch kit I am not crazy about. I tried two different New Classic kits and just could not get them to do that Gretsch thing. I believe it is in the variable thickness from shell to shell. The kit was sort of schizo.

BTW- That "Gretsch" thing I refer to is a pure tone at any sensitivity with an always present warm growly vibe to it. The drums beg to be played with dynamics. It's something in the combination of blended thin shells, die cast hoops, and radiator paint... :) The USA Custom is the perfect blend of the characterictics where the Renown and Brooklyn make some changes. The Renown has a very pure tone but does not have quite the growl of the Customs...probably due to the all maple shell. The Brooklyn is more warm growl than the Customs and less focused tone (Due to the spread from the triple flange hoops).

I owne two USA Custom kits, a Renown kit, and a few other vintage and modern kits. I have another USA Custom on order due in to me in the next few weeks...

Renowns, well, the 57s are probably the best deal quality and price wise on planet earth at the moment. 5 piece for under $1000, 4 piece bop for under $800. A few left floating out there. I am Ludwig for life but after playing a Renown set at GC I fell in love. Gretsch is quality all around though. In my opinion, top of the line to bottom, Gretsch has the best quality drums out there for the money.

Renowns, well, the 57s are probably the best deal quality and price wise on planet earth at the moment. 5 piece for under $1000, 4 piece bop for under $800. A few left floating out there. I am Ludwig for life but after playing a Renown set at GC I fell in love. Gretsch is quality all around though. In my opinion, top of the line to bottom, Gretsch has the best quality drums out there for the money.

Agree.

One thing I will point out is that the flavor of a Good Gretsch drum requires the drum features to be in perfect condition. Edges, hoops, shell, etc. The beauty of the sound is being able to get all the dynamics. Be careful buying used Gretsch (Customs especially) without examining the drums closely. I've seen MANY kits where the drummer is not so accurate and the edges are dinged up from sticks.

They're made in Taiwan.

They have proportionate shell thickness and are all maple.

Either way. They sound great and have a different flavour than the US Customs or Brooklyns.

Back