Bobby Jarzombek here!

Mr. Jarzombek! You're one of the most influential drummers around. I'm still in awe of all of the work you did with spastic ink. One day I hope to be able to play the way you do!

Hey Bobby,
Just dropped by to say you are by far my favorite drummer. You're very talented and creative and I absolutely love your work with Spastic Ink.

Bobby, you and your brother Ron are both huge influences to me. The Spastic Ink stuff is absolutely mind-blowing! What bands are you currently working with?

Bobby,

I realize that you are a virtuosic drummer. I started playing drums when I was 13 but was never really 'serious' until a few years ago (I'm 20 now), that being said I've only taken about 2 full years of lessons. How does one such as me go about becoming a virtuoso and competing with guys who have been prodigies? It's sort of discouraging to see people like Tony Royster Jr. and Thomas Pridgen who were both excellent at an early age.

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm excited to watch your DVD. You and your brother are fantastic.

Cool! Bobby, you are total monster on the kit and I was a little surprised that you weren't offered an audition by Dream Theatre because you certainly have the chops.

Reactions: TJK
I think Bobby is a prime example of how a real musician should be. He is an amazing player, can play all the stuff, but more important, he's humble, down-to-earth normal guy which, for me, is more important than how you play. Mr. Jarzombek, in my book you're rated very very high :)

For those of you who haven't seen this yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJY_iCIPkYo

BTW I hate how many people today have two bass drums and play with a double pedal. OK it's easier to do soundcheck, easier to record in studio or whatever but c'mon people!

Last edited:
Just to keep this thread alive, I still love Bobster nailing every note on his drumset and I still can't stand double pedals on double bass kits. Ha! :D

The last series of videos Bobby uploaded from A/M and FW was very interesting and educatonal. Looking forward to seeing new stuff. Maybe more from Zierler sessions?

All the things flying in different directions confuse my tiny brain. It took me five minutes to figure out which ways was "Forwards" what with them cymbals back there...

Recently, I was rethinking crash's to help with timing and accents on fast runs...
So, I was entertaining the thought to set up two more crash's; for over-the-shoulder/behind-the-back. Booms okay, but have not decided on which 2002 Paiste's to incorporate. I use a 16" and 18" medium crash.
So, possibly 17" & 19" ?

I got the cymbals ! The booms are tanks. Not like Sonor's but these Ludwig Atlas Pro stands are built & designed very well.
I'm having a blast now and find your setup very beneficial on timing and articulating accents.
You once explained doing a 4 beat roll on a same single crash looses definition. Then demo'd the difference. It was listening to four separate beats opposed to the same four beats on one cymbal that at times gets washed out.
I'll be practicing economy of movement now with two new targets having one on the left and another on the right for some new combinations. Also incorporating into practice; coordinating and striking the cymbals coming back up while going down on the kick.
Oh. and I see what you mean by having two different independent heights for hitting accuracy.
I think I'm getting used to this new setup and am very pleased with the outcome.
...There's a lot of practicing to do !
~Jim

I got the cymbals ! The booms are tanks. Not like Sonor's but these Ludwig Atlas Pro stands are built & designed very well.
I'm having a blast now and find your setup very beneficial on timing and articulating accents.
You once explained doing a 4 beat roll on a same single crash looses definition. Then demo'd the difference. It was listening to four separate beats opposed to the same four beats on one cymbal that at times gets washed out.
I'll be practicing economy of movement now with two new targets having one on the left and another on the right for some new combinations. Also incorporating into practice; coordinating and striking the cymbals coming back up while going down on the kick.
Oh. and I see what you mean by having two different independent heights for hitting accuracy.
I think I'm getting used to this new setup and am very pleased with the outcome.
...There's a lot of practicing to do !
~Jim

Since you mentioned how Bobby's kit influenced yours, maybe it's time for me to admit the same thing :D
My cymbal setup (position wise) is very much alike Bobby's. Two crashes upfront, below them two splashes, then two chinas and after them two crashes. Main hihat on the left and aux hihat above it. The only difference is that I have a third splash between the front two crashes and I have two rides on both sides of the kit.
The cymbal setup has always been symmetrical regardless but... Thank you Bobby for the idea of positioning main and aux Hi-hats :) (This hi-hat setup he used for Spastic Ink and during the early Halford era)

Cool setup DD. Do you use the two Rides to incorporate the open hand that Bobby once elaborated on (when he picked it up from Simon) ?
My skills are no match and have no chance to yours lol, but I will inventively be setting up another Ride for this very beneficial technique. Bobby mentioned that it was a long endeavor transitioning. I wanted to start early; working the left hand on the hihat trying independently to move around using the right. At times learning, it feels like a three legged race, or walking with your shoe laces tied. Even worse; it looks like someone throwing a ball opposite their strong arm. Not pretty form. heh heh
Since you mentioned how Bobby's kit influenced yours, maybe it's time for me to admit the same thing :D
My cymbal setup (position wise) is very much alike Bobby's. Two crashes upfront, below them two splashes, then two chinas and after them two crashes. Main hihat on the left and aux hihat above it. The only difference is that I have a third splash between the front two crashes and I have two rides on both sides of the kit.
The cymbal setup has always been symmetrical regardless but... Thank you Bobby for the idea of positioning main and aux Hi-hats :) (This hi-hat setup he used for Spastic Ink and during the early Halford era)

Cool setup DD. Do you use the two Rides to incorporate the open hand that Bobby once elaborated on (when he picked it up from Simon) ?
My skills are no match and have no chance to yours lol, but I will inventively be setting up another Ride for this very beneficial technique. Bobby mentioned that it was a long endeavor transitioning. I wanted to start early; working the left hand on the hihat trying independently to move around using the right. At times learning, it feels like a three legged race, or walking with your shoe laces tied. Even worse; it looks like someone throwing a ball opposite their strong arm. Not pretty form. heh heh

I am righthanded and I decided the best way to make my left hand get in shape was to put the hihat lower and put the ride cymbal on the left side of the kit. The rest of the cymbals I didn't move. And I was pleased with that setup. But after some time my OCD came into picture... AGAIN :D So I scored a nice deal and got another ride. I like the opportunity to have more sounds and to load my hands more or less even.
BTW I decided to switch to open handed playing phewww... Some 3-4 years ago and for the love of Pete I still feel the difference between my hands. Either I'm not playing as much as I should or it's just the way it is regarding the body is built. But it's still a fun ride trying to make myself a lefty :)

Back