Recording a big setup help!

underoath77

I am building a large Edrum setup , featuring 3 Alesis drum modules , 3 Sample pads and an alesis sample rack , all to be routed through 4 presonus 1818vsl interfaces. Is this possible?

As each of the 3 new alesis modules has 8 outs, I would send those to 3 of the interfaces and the 4th would handle left and right for the remaining parts.

I also want to route some drum amps through maybe...3 or 4 of em . would I route these through the back of the audio interfaces? Or do I need to do some splitting or use a mixer?

Thank you

You're using an e-kit. Just go MIDI with a single cable and right into the DAW. You can do whatever you want with the input later, including changing the sounds out.

If you want to multi-track the sound library from your module, I suppose you would need several inputs and such... however, recording to MIDI and sending that through a VST on your computer will be much easier and may sound better than your module's synthesization. I would highly recommend the latter.

EDIT: The big selection of outputs on the module is more intuitive for live use, I think. Honestly, they don't make sense to me from a recording perspective because a USB or similar connection with multi-track-translation software on the PC would be much more useful.

Then What is the point of having 8 individual outs in a module??????

The point is whatever you need I suppose. Lots of guys who play them live like to send all the stuff individually to a mixer and have easy control on the fly.

If you want to multi-track the sound library from your module, I suppose you would need several inputs and such... however, recording to MIDI and sending that through a VST on your computer will be much easier and may sound better than your module's synthesization. I would highly recommend the latter.

No question about it. If you're going to use an e-kit, then your sound is already faked. It's not like you need to capture the room sound, or want to get your sweet ride sound dialed in on it's own track... Not using digital MIDI so that you can mess around with it later is really kind of negating the good part about using a e-kit.

In short, just go VST if you want to record with an e-kit.

EDIT: The big selection of outputs on the module is more intuitive for live use, I think. Honestly, they don't make sense to me from a recording perspective because a USB or similar connection with multi-track-translation software on the PC would be much more useful.

Well I can adjust all the levels in the DAW lol...he'll I could create the samples in the DAW and pre tweak the levels and then just play em...I just thought their might be more control is all....you know , lower the level on a china without lowering the kick.

No question about it. If you're going to use an e-kit, then your sound is already faked. It's not like you need to capture the room sound, or want to get your sweet ride sound dialed in on it's own track... Not using digital MIDI so that you can mess around with it later is really kind of negating the good part about using a e-kit.

In short, just go VST if you want to record with an e-kit.

So 8 MIDI cables....and I don't have 8 USB ports on my Gaming Pc....dangit

One midi cable should suffice. It's digital. You're not using analog sounds so you don't need one for each. If you end up with everything on one track for some reason, you can still separate them later. Google something like "MIDI drums on separate tracks" or something like that and you should be able to figure it out. I've seen it done lots, though I only use my e-kit for practice, and haven't done it personally, I know VST is the way to go (if you must go with e-kits on a record that is.)

One midi cable should suffice. It's digital. You're not using analog sounds so you don't need one for each. If you end up with everything on one track for some reason, you can still separate them later. Google something like "MIDI drums on separate tracks" or something like that and you should be able to figure it out. I've seen it done lots, though I only use my e-kit for practice, and haven't done it personally, I know VST is the way to go (if you must go with e-kits on a record that is.)

No...I mean I have 8 drum brains. Each need a MIDI cable. So I'll just get a USB hub?

Wait, you want to record with 8 drum modules at the same time? I don't think I realized from your post just how big your "setup" was.

I think I would be tempted to just use a stereo mix out from each module and use an interface with 8 inputs or more. With that many drum modules at once, VST might be really difficult.

Wait, you want to record with 8 drum modules at the same time? I don't think I realized from your post just how big your "setup" was.

I think I would be tempted to just use a stereo mix out from each module and use an interface with 8 inputs or more. With that many drum modules at once, VST might be really difficult.

Can't i still do the midi ? I mean I can cut the samples in the DAW and change the levels too.

I think I would be tempted to just use a stereo mix out from each module and use an interface with 8 inputs or more. With that many drum modules at once, VST might be really diff

Not using Vst lol...I have my own high quality DW and Sabian samples

Back