Good Times Bad Times Single Kick ???

Yeah belittled might not be the right word. And I can see that most people are careful when pointing out his flaws.

I just don't like the comparisons to how his playing would be judged in modern times. But I guess that is par for the course and representative of the pursuit of perfection in today's music.

I for one will never achieve perfect timing and chops like some of the greats, but I like to think that people will want to listen to my music for te feeling I put into them rather than metronomic perfection and flawless execution.

Is that naive?

not at all

....and John Henry Bonham is a god to me

I don't mind people pointing out that Bonzo didn't play clean time by modern standards. It's an interesting fact, given that his playing is so broadly (and deservedly) loved.

So what's going on? Most of us are saying that perfect time is not needed to create great music and can sometimes be a hindrance. Yet perfect time is now absolutely expected and compulsory in studios because drum machines have "raised the bar".

"Drum machines have raised the bar" ... makes me wonder ... raising the bar to where? To a better place?

I don't mind people pointing out that Bonzo didn't play clean time by modern standards. It's an interesting fact, given that his playing is so broadly (and deservedly) loved.

So what's going on? Most of us are saying that perfect time is not needed to create great music and can sometimes be a hindrance. Yet perfect time is now absolutely expected and compulsory in studios because drum machines have "raised the bar".

"Drum machines have raised the bar" ... makes me wonder ... raising the bar to where? To a better place?

Your comment immediately raised a lot of questions in my own head, hence I started another thread 'Future of Music' to hear people's opinions.

It's just different. Styles change. What was once cool, is now corny. Maybe in the future, perfect time will be considered lame. Then again, I remember when people resisted using guitar tuners -- they said it was going to ruin everyone's ear and that being perfectly in tune wasn't necessary. Meanwhile, they make everyone's ears BETTER!

We can hear early recordings where the tuning is a little ragged and it's still great because it's a great song with a great performance. But it's not great because it's out of tune. That's just a minor flaw. Well, remove the minor flaws and you STILL need a good song and a good performance. But some people seem to think they're exclusive to each other.

Back