E-Drums to Acoustics

Henry3s

So next week I´ll be buying my first drum kit, a Roland TD-9kx, on which I´ll practice a lot the next year or two.
So I was wondering if it´s a big change going from electric drums to acoustics, since I´ll probably be doing that at some point, and how do the things you´ve learned on e-drums transcribe to acoustic drums.

Obviously skills in independence and improvisation remain the same
but how big is the change in feel, and is it difficult to adapt?

(If it helps to know, I train on a practice pad 1-3 hours a day)

Welcome to the forum.

It is a big change in feel and how you apply dynamics, but you will adapt quickly.

After you log a bunch of hours on your new acoustic kit, you will adapt right away.

Ironically enough, I'm kind of doing the opposite. I have two acoustic kits and I'm about to purchase my first electronic kit so I can practice without annoying the neighbors and also so I can play at late hours. I have been wondering if practicing on the electronic will damage my "feel". I will still be gigging with an acoustic (hopefully) so hopefully that will prevent me from losing my dynamic touch.

Welcome to the forum.

It is a big change in feel and how you apply dynamics, but you will adapt quickly.

After you log a bunch of hours on your new acoustic kit, you will adapt right away.

So basically if I give it some time, my skills will translate to acoustic drums without having to learn things all over again?
That sounds great :)

Oh and thanks. I should´ve joined ages ago :)

You'll also enjoy all of the nuances that come with an acoustic kit. Infinitely variable cymbal sounds and varying drum sounds depending on how and where you hit the head.

I find acoustic drums much more satisfying than electronic. I still want an electric one though.

You'll also enjoy all of the nuances that come with an acoustic kit. Infinitely variable cymbal sounds and varying drum sounds depending on how and where you hit the head.

I find acoustic drums much more satisfying than electronic. I still want an electric one though.

Yeah well my problem right now is noise and space so I had to settle with electric drums,
but I feel that being able to practice any time, and as much as I want, will compensate for it until I get a place for acoustic drums.

There are real differences but what you learn will be transferable to the acoustic kit. Dynamics is the real thing though. E-kits don't have a great dynamic range and that's very much part of a groove. But you can get to a very good standard with an ekit. You will need an acoustic kit at some point though.

Davo

Back