Bass drum muffling

For the past few months or so I have been playing with no pillows foams tapes or anything in my bass drum. The only downside i have discovered is that thanks to my miserably suckish double pedal the clamp on the main pedal will not hold up to the combined power of my feet and the bass drum itself. My pedal is a vex double. Has anyone else had similar problems with said pedal? And more importantly who has ideas for something different in the way of dampening material?

Could it be you need different heads and beaters for the sound you are trying to get? Have you experimented with these?

I don't know that pedal and so I can't help. Photos would be good!

Peace
Davo

Well in all honesty now that you mention it new heads don't sound like a bad idea. I never had this problem whenit was muffled in the past but new heads may be the way to go. I still have the stock heads on. Iv had this set for bout 8 years. However iv only been playing frequently [several hours a week] for about the last year and a half or so. I guess head replacement just hadn't occured to me. The kit is a premier cabria series 5 piece. The heads are everplay, made by Remo [although I believe they are just a different stamp]. I will work on getting some pics up here soon.

The first thing I do when I get a kit is change out the stock head's for evans heads. They will last longer, sound better and have a much better feel in my experience.

For the past few months or so I have been playing with no pillows foams tapes or anything in my bass drum. The only downside i have discovered is that thanks to my miserably suckish double pedal the clamp on the main pedal will not hold up to the combined power of my feet and the bass drum itself. My pedal is a vex double. Has anyone else had similar problems with said pedal? And more importantly who has ideas for something different in the way of dampening material?

aquarian super kick 2 batter head and emad small ported res head on front

Back