How far can one realistically improve in 1 year?

Yopps

I know this is a general question that can't be awnsered in any specific way shape or form. All I'm realy asking is for thoughts, opinions, ect. I spent the whole day playing in a 3piece with 2 freinds whom I havent played with in a long time. We had fun, but it also gave me time to evalute myself, my playing and my general handling of being in a band scenario. I feel REALLY dissatisfied with my playing as a whole, I dunno how to explain it but for the amont of time I have been practicing each day it should have not been this way. It's probably because I haven't played with other musicians for a awhile now, but I know that it's probably more then that. I feel my practice sessions,woodsheding, studying, ect have been productive but it just wasn't "there" when it came down to a band situation, I felt like a total begginer for some reason. I still want to do this semi professionally or atleast for the occasional paying gig now and then sometime in the future if I get good enough, so I was just wondering how much of a differerance 1 year from now will make if I coutiue a dedicated practice routine, I'm giving myself atleast that before if I decide to move on to other things if it doesn't work out.

Thoughts?

You answered your own question. I've come to the conclusion that you can shed in your house for years and it means almost nothing until you start playing with people. Of course I overstate it for effect, but keeping a band together can't be practiced by yourself. I recommend open mic blues jams to get you into learning how to just play a good beat and keep it steady. Blues are basic, and most every music you likely play has roots in it.
Here's a nickels worth of free advice, when playing with others at those jams, never never close your eyes. In fact try to read minds. Biggest mistake I see are guys who aren't listening to what's going on. The best players are the best listeners.

I saw a guy last night immersed in his own world..he had the bass player and the guitar player both calling his name 3x before he duh came to and realized it. I was cringing. Embarrasses the fam.

Hmmmmm i'm not exactly sure what you're saying but it seems like you practice a lot and it doesn't show when you link up with other band members. I think anyone can improve drastically in a year time but everyone's learning span isn't the same. What takes one person one week to learn may take another individual one month. I think aside from practicing only rudiments and shedding different fills, you may want to find some music regardless of the style and play to it or either practice with some top 40 records. There's no right or wrong way in my opinion but everyone's entitled to there opinions.

Completely impossible to answer mate. How long is a piece of string?

Other than to say, you get out of it what you put into it. How far you progress is really up to you. The more you do it, the more experience you get. Keep playing, keep learning and keep moving forward are the only absolutes anyone can give you.

When I find a post that says it all, instead of just spewing my own thoughts to spew, I would rather repost something that was right on target and larryace is on the money here. You have to go out to those jams and test yourself. You have to play with other musicians and see how sharp you can get when it comes to reading their minds and knowing what is coming up at the next corner. Also, there are definitely some things that happen 99% of the time in certain songs in certain parts of certain songs. If you learn those things by interacting with other players, you will retain them much better. Stay positive and don't beat yourself up.

Now get out there and play!!!

You answered your own question. I've come to the conclusion that you can shed in your house for years and it means almost nothing until you start playing with people. Of course I overstate it for effect, but keeping a band together can't be practiced by yourself. I recommend open mic blues jams to get you into learning how to just play a good beat and keep it steady. Blues are basic, and most every music you likely play has roots in it.
Here's a nickels worth of free advice, when playing with others at those jams, never never close your eyes. In fact try to read minds. Biggest mistake I see are guys who aren't listening to what's going on. The best players are the best listeners.

I saw a guy last night immersed in his own world..he had the bass player and the guitar player both calling his name 3x before he duh came to and realized it. I was cringing. Embarrasses the fam.

x=y when x is the amount of practice time in one year and y is the amount of improvement seen in one year.

Of course, y can change with the occasional epiphany and revelation.

Back