Cymbal Bag/Case

I want to get a cymbal bag or case that can hold around 8 cymbals. Is there anything under $100 that can get this job done well. All recommendations on a good case will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, James

Unsure what they cost in the States, but I like Protection racket. I have many PR bags and have not had a problem.

Ditto on the Protection Racket cymbal bags. My kid uses the Deluxe model, which goes for around $80 in the US. Holds a lot of cymbals and has a separate pocket for hats and splashes.

deluxecymbal_main.jpg

deluxecymbal_altview2.jpg

deluxecymbal_altview3.jpg

My issue w/cymbal bags is if it's dropped, the edges of all the cymbals absorb the shock of the total combined weight of all the cymbals, that's a lot of shock. I'd recommend a hard plastic cymbal case like Zildjians cymbal safe, $60.00 USD @ Musicians Friend.

My issue w/cymbal bags is if it's dropped, the edges of all the cymbals absorb the shock of the total combined weight of all the cymbals, that's a lot of shock. I'd recommend a hard plastic cymbal case like Zildjians cymbal safe, $60.00 USD @ Musicians Friend.

I have aways used a hard case and I recommend them highly. I've used a Humes & berg Enduro case for the last 12 years. I have cut discs of gasket rubber to go between the cymbals for cushioning. The case could fall out of a car at highway speeds and the cymbals would be unaffected. The only drawback is it takes up space.

I would only recommend a cymbal bag if you are going to keep them with you all the time. Get the cymbals in the back of a car and things could shift and break or stress them.

I have aways used a hard case and I recommend them highly. I've used a Humes & berg Enduro case for the last 12 years. I have cut discs of gasket rubber to go between the cymbals for cushioning. The case could fall out of a car at highway speeds and the cymbals would be unaffected. The only drawback is it takes up space.

I would only recommend a cymbal bag if you are going to keep them with you all the time. Get the cymbals in the back of a car and things could shift and break or stress them.

Ok thanks I didnt realize that a hard case was that much better than a bag. I will definitely check into one

Ok thanks I like I am definitely leaning towards getting a hard case. Would you recommend the Zildjian cymbal safe?

I would recommend one that has an exterior telescope, instead of interior. Like, there's a bottom piece the cymbals bolt to, then there's the top piece that completely goes over and around the bottom piece. The cymbals are totally encased in a hard-sided vault.

On some models (like Hardcase) the top piece bolts on with the cymbals and fits inside the bottom piece, kind of like another cymbal. In this design, the top piece moves with the cymbals and provides less impact protection.

I've never seen the Zildjian safe so I don't know how it goes together. I know the new Humes and Berg models have built-in wheels and telescoping handles.

You may not like a case, they're bulky, and when loaded they can do damage to other gear, your car, door ways, your shins, feet etc. I would definitely suggest getting your hands on one b/f buying, you might hate it.

I guess its conceivable you could drop your cymbals, more so someone else could drop them. Todays better bags are reinforced at the bottom.

Hands down the best cymbal bags I've ever seen/used. http://www.toughtraveler.com/ttds.asp

You may not like a case, they're bulky, and when loaded they can do damage to other gear, your car, door ways, your shins, feet etc. I would definitely suggest getting your hands on one b/f buying, you might hate it.

I guess its conceivable you could drop your cymbals, more so someone else could drop them. Todays better bags are reinforced at the bottom.

Hands down the best cymbal bags I've ever seen/used. http://www.toughtraveler.com/ttds.asp

Yes, a hard case is much bulkier than a soft case. However, in the scheme of things, a hard cymbal case isn't terribly big or hard to transport. Given how easy it is to damage cymbals, and how heavy and accident-prone they are, springing for a hard cymbal case is a good idea.

Yes, a hard case is much bulkier than a soft case. However, in the scheme of things, a hard cymbal case isn't terribly big or hard to transport. Given how easy it is to damage cymbals, and how heavy and accident-prone they are, springing for a hard cymbal case is a good idea.

Thanks DMC i just have to find one that is a good price and I am definitely going to go with a hard case

Not to mention that cymbals will tend to slice through the bag if dropped.

If you use a case so poorly made that this could happen you deserve your fate. Never seen it in 35+ years of using a bag. The PR bags are superb.

Given how easy it is to damage cymbals, and how heavy and accident-prone they are, springing for a hard cymbal case is a good idea.

To each his own, I guess. I'm with Les. I've used good bags forever and never had a problem. If an individual is as "accident-prone" as this they should hire a cartage company.

By the way, Zephead19, the main compartment of the Protection Racket bag has four slots. But if you're willing to double up (just get some felt to put between them) you can fit more. My cymbal setup is minimal, but my kid routinely gigs with a ride, hats, 2 crashes, 2 chinas, and 4 splashes. It all fits nicely, and there's never been damage. Of course, he never packs the vehicle carelessly nor is he so stupid as to drop the bag.

Thank you everybody for the input. DrumTechDad I do like the size of the bag but it seems expensive for a bag (it will be my second option). At the price I can basically get a top quality hard case like SKB. By the way has anyone had experience with the SKB roto-x cymbal vault?

I have a set of roto-molded Hardcases for my drums, basically the same as SKBs. The plastic powder is injected into the mold, which is then rotated as it melts and then cools. The plastic tends to be a little thicker in the corners, making the cases especially indestructible. Most of the plastic cymbal cases function the same but make sure to avoid the type of closing mechanism I describe above.

Does anyone have any interior photos of any of the cases mentioned?
I don't know what a hard case looks like on the inside XD

Back