METAL- how do i get that sound

I would start with getting drum heads that really resonate. Remo pinstripe's are a pretty good starting point for a harder hitter, and they sound very nice. Evans G2 clear also would work well. But the tuning is the most important part. To get the fullest sound out of each drum, you have to take the time to find the drum's natural pitch. That is the lowest point that the drum fully resonates. This will give you a full sound.

I would start with getting drum heads that really resonate. Remo Pinstripe...

Sorry... the pinstripe's do not resonate that much, they're double films heads with about 1" of the films glued together at the edge of the head to cut overtones.

However, you right about the Evans G2, Remo's Emperor is another favourite heavy duty heads that will give an open sound.

You'll have to be a bit more specific, name a song that has a tom sound you like.

A clear 2 ply skin on top with a single ply clear skin on bottom would be a good place to start. "Bellowing" suggests you like a big sound, you'll hear more body of the drum with clear skins than with coated.

If you want a punchy sound, tune the bottom head slightly tighter than the top to get the pitch bend down. If you want a boomier open sound, tune them to the same pitch.

Chances are it's the reverb that's been added in the mixing that's making the "bellowing" sound you like. I used to use Aquarian Performance 2 clears on top with Remo Ambassadors on bottom with both heads tuned low to get the old evil Obituary tom thud, but it's the reverb on the records that gives the drums life.

And this of course depends on what drums you've got, if you've got a modern kit with shallow toms then this is gunna be much harder for you. If you've got an older kit with Rock size toms, or even better; "square" toms, you'll find it really easy. You'll have to adjust your skin selection around what drums you have...you can make a deep tom sound like a shallow tom, but you can't make a shallow tom sound like a deep tom.

Here's the biggest tip I can give you. Tune the toms correctly. Watch the Gatzen video, apply liberally. I typically tune my toms a scoche higher than is intuitive - it gets them to project more with a rounder, fuller tone and more sustain. What head you use is, in my opinion, secondary to how you tune the head.

Then minimize muffling. Go without if you can stand it. Otherwise use something minimally invasive, like part of a overlay ring or a spot of moongel. Get out in front of your kit and listen to it. It sounds much different out front, where the sound is meant to project.

Back