Favorite metal drummer?

i gots 4 least to best

Joey Jordison
Travis Smith
Chris Adler!!!
George Kollias!!!!!

he is with the insane band. (I couldnt decide between george kollias or chris adler)

NILE!!!

Frost- Satyricon
Jan axel blomberg- Dimmu Borgir
Mike Portnoy-DT
Flo Mounier-Cryptopsy
Richard Christy-Death
Chris Adler-LOG

Hellhammer (Jan Axel Blomberg)
Tomas Haake
Chris Adler
Morgan Agren (with Fredrik Thordendahl)
Derek Roddy
Chris Pennie (if it's metal)
Danny Carey
Thor Henrik (She Said Destroy)
The Drummer for Behemoth

I think this thread has ran it's course, we can all conclude that I am everybody's favourite metal drummer.

FACT

Maybe so, but you better have someone video you doing a drum solo on a rotating pentagram riser if you wanna win the "under-16s" vote! =P

fail

Now THIS is the type of elitism that makes me ashamed to be a metal follower at times.

Just in case you missed it, the title of this thread is "Favorite Metal Drummer". "Favorite" is, more often than not, based on opinion.

All this time I thought you'd be better than buying into the whole "true metal" elitism malarkey, dude. :(

No one's mentioned Hellhammer (Jan Axel Blomberg) yet! Also, Stef Broks, the drummer for Textures, is excellent.

I keep hearing of this Textures, what are they like? Similar bands etc?

The only "Textures" I knew of before this was the Cynic song. :)

I keep hearing of this Textures, what are they like? Similar bands etc?

The only "Textures" I knew of before this was the Cynic song. :)

They're good. Very technical but a touch more melodic than Meshuggah.

Got 2 albums out if I'm not mistaken, definitely worth a listen.

(Also, check out 'Byzantine' if you can, they're another good technical band)

Oh yeah......& 'Scar Symmetry' (Not the most technical band around but heavy & melodic & technical bits here & there)

my god. what is wrong with todays people? only one person has said blake richardson. i'm going to go out on a limb and assume that whoever doesn't have him on their lists has never heard of between the buried and me. go listen to "colors", and then try not have him on your top metal drummer lists. mine would be:

Blake Richardson - Between the Buried and Me ("white walls", "ants of the sky" and "prequel to the sequel" off of "colors" really get to me. especially the cowbell part around 4:30ish in "ants of the sky" :D)

Dirk Verbeuren - Soilwork/Sybreed (his sort-of-drum-solo is amazing near the end of "revive my wounds" from sybreed's "antares" album)

Nick Barker - Old Man's Child ("sacrifice of vengeance" from "in defiance of existence", no other words need to be said)

Marco Pitruzzella - Brain Drill (listen to "the parasites" on their myspace, his blast beats are ridiculous)

Tomas Haake - Meshuggah (very repetitive, but very good nonetheless)

and that would be, in my opinion, the best 5 metal drummers.

This was chosen due to not only their speed but also on the
way the accompany the melodies of the songs they play in:

1 Dave Lombardo - Slayer, Testament Grip Inc...
2 Shannon Larkin - Wrathchild America, Ugly Kid Joe, Godsmack
3 Igor Cavalera - Sepultura, Cavalera Conspiracy
4 Mike Portnoy - DreamTheater
5 Nick Menza - Megadeth
6 Jürgen 'Ventor' Reil - Kreator
7 Paul Bostaph - Testament, Slayer...
8 Jason Rullo - Symphony X
9 Alex Holzwarth - Rhapsody
10 Charlie Benante - Anthrax

There are so many good drummers to choose from Vinnie Paul, Chris Adler, Lars Ulrich,
John Temptesta and Tom Hunting! but those 10 are the top of their field!

Last edited:
I cant decide which ones better cause the music is different with different bands, and every song can be played a number of ways! Thats what i do when i hear records.

has no one ever heard ofVITEK?!?!

oh yeah and tomas haake obvs
haake = sweet chops, mad time sigs AND he can groove like a motherb*tch!
:p

Danny Carey is by far my favorite. But recently I started listening to Black Sabbath, and Bill Ward is a machine.

my god. what is wrong with todays people? only one person has said blake richardson. i'm going to go out on a limb and assume that whoever doesn't have him on their lists has never heard of between the buried and me. go listen to "colors", and then try not have him on your top metal drummer lists.

Blake richardson is amazing, i dont remember if the one other person who said him was me already or not havent been on in a while but yes, if you havent heard of him listen to the album colors by between the buried and me, my favorite album, by far one of my favorite drummers, next to portnoy!

Back