Famous drummers you have met

Same here!
I would like to meet: Ian Paice, Bill Ward, Billy Cobham, Emmanuelle Caplette, Roger Taylor, Carmine Appice...and why not? To shake hands with Ringo & Charlie!

Sadly i have met none,only seen them but not met them :(

While I'd hope for this to change at some point, at the moment the only one I've ever had the pleasure of MEETING before/during/after a show at all would be Ryan Van Poederooyen

I had the chance to meet my all time favourite drummer, Simon Phillips, we chatted for 10 minutes just before he went on stage for the Zildjian Day in 1993 in London, we talked about some aspect of his drumming, at one point I was asking a specific technical question on double bass drum triplets, well, not only he explain in details his approach, but he added "Tell you what, I'll play it for you tonight", and he surely did, not only is a phenomenal drummer, but also a really cool guy, a real gentleman, it was a big moment for me :)

The picture was taken by a friend of mine, he didn't tell me on the day, he just gave me the pic a few days later, was I pleased? You can bet on it!

Attachments

• Simon Phillips 8.1.jpg
    Simon Phillips 8.1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 878
I'm actually on a somewhat friendly basis with Brooks Wackerman of Bad Religion / Tenacious D. I promoted his solo project 'Kidneys' and since then I've stayed in contact with him. He's actually become somewhat of a drumming mentor; between tours when he has down time, he shares some useful information on what I should practice, and what he's working on.

I had the chance to meet my all time favourite drummer, Simon Phillips, we chatted for 10 minutes just before he went on stage for the Zildjian Day in 1993 in London, we talked about some aspect of his drumming, at one point I was asking a specific technical question on double bass drum triplets, well, not only he explain in details his approach, but he added "Tell you what, I'll play it for you tonight", and he surely did, not only is a phenomenal drummer, but also a really cool guy, a real gentleman, it was a big moment for me :)

The picture was taken by a friend of mine, he didn't tell me on the day, he just gave me the pic a few days later, was I pleased? You can bet on it!

That's pretty cool. I remember this photo froom the last time this kinda thread was alive. I'm not sure what I'd say to a famous drummer if I met him or her. Nice sweater BTW, Henri.

Me to Famous Drummer: "Hey, nice drumming on such and such...ummm....mad props, man."

Famous Drummer: "Oh thanks man, do I know you?"

Me: "No, but I know you like you're my adopted brother or something"

Famous Drummer: "Really? really....SECURITY!!!"

Just kidding...ha ha...maybe someday I'll be lucky enough to meet Bermuda. I missed his clinic last time because I was low on funds (gas money).

Simon, brother! This is what I use and recommend to you for next clinics...

...I borrowed them shamelessly from Catman, well you know - Peter Criss!

Attachments

• Peter Criss boots.jpg
    Peter Criss boots.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,196
Simon, brother! This is what I use and recommend to you for next clinics...

...Henri, baby brother!

Ha! That's freakin' awesome!

Hey, can I borrow those?

We're doing a wedding gig and our last song is Rock n' Roll All Night. The plan is to put on KISS masks just for the one song.

Sorry, not trying to derail the thread. I met Bill Ward. He was friends with my uncle. Great guy....very laid back....sober as a judge now.

I'm not sure what I'd say to a famous drummer if I met him or her. Nice sweater BTW, Henri.

You could, of course, take a leaf from Henri's book ...

maybe someday I'll be lucky enough to meet Bermuda.

He's one of the two people I've met from the forum. When Al last toured Oz they played at the Enmore Theatre, which was a 10 min walk from my place at the time. I took him for a guided tour around the local streets, got lost, and he worked out how to get back. Directions aren't my strong suit ...

I've never been keen to meet top players because I've never known what to say, apart from, "Hey, would you like a piece of this, big boy?" (which I don't say).

It was good meeting Bermuda, though. Terrific guy. The only trauma I suffered was when he suggested I have a play on his set. His Buttkicker freaked me out and I totally choked ... starting with a basic beat and somehow managed to stumble and lose time. Duhhhh. I did better drumming than that in my 1975 garage band!

Next time I'm offered to play on a top drummer's kit I might pass :)

Peter Criss without make up...

Which one?

It was good meeting Bermuda, though. Terrific guy. The only trauma I suffered was when he suggested I have a play on his set. His Buttkicker freaked me out and I totally choked ... starting with a basic beat and somehow managed to stumble and lose time. Duhhhh. I did better drumming than that in my 1975 garage band!

Next time I'm offered to play on a top drummer's kit I might pass :)

I'll have to agree, only knowing him from this forum. Very generous with his time. That's a bummer to hear you choked but I guess that kinda pressure can be a bit overwhelming. Having never been in that situation, can't say what could happen.

Nah, I wouldn't pass just on the thrill factor alone. Kinda like a cool roller-coaster ride or something.

I've met Phil Collins a couple times. Once randomly walking through Disneyland back in the 80s, and once again at a radio show taping in 2004.

Nah, I wouldn't pass just on the thrill factor alone. Kinda like a cool roller-coaster ride or something.

Good attitude, Bon! At the time I had no thought or intention of playing on his kit - I didn't want to impose - so I was a bit shocked when he suggested I have a go. I wasn't thinking "thrill ride" ... more like "faaaark!" lol

This was like my teenage dream (long forgotten and discarded) come true! Playing on a big stage under lights in a major venue! It slipped me back in time to my old childish mentality. I would have probably needed an hour just to get the craziness out of my system before being capable of "playing with ears" in that situation.

It's an interesting dynamic - like when middle aged people find themselves regressing and being childish when they visit their parents.

Wuooow! I wished I was there to meet the man...Who beats the skins for Sabbath´s, War Pigs!

Thanks for sharing brother!

I met Bill Ward. He was friends with my uncle. Great guy....very laid back....sober as a judge now.

Back