Drum Bags, Just Want Some Experience Advice

Shankmasterflex

I'm finally buying a five piece set of bags from my Gretsch Renown Maple set.
I love my set to tears, so now that I'm starting to gig I find it completely necessary I find something to keep my shells out of harms way.

I just want some advice for what to look for in soft drum bag or a couple things you've learned from experience about drum bags.

A few questions I have off the bat to get you guys started is, how much should one be looking to spend? Is paying three hundred a total scam, or is it worth the extra money? Who makes dependable bags that don't fray, rip, etc.? What kind of materials are the best/highest quality and worth spending extra for?

Any advice is helpful you guys! Thanks ahead of time.

I use Galaxy bags by Humes and Berg. They are inexpensive and well made.
If you are moving your drums yourself there is no need to buy high priced bags.
The Galaxy bags are well padded. The handles are strong and comfortable to carry. The zippers are of good quality. The zipper is the thing that most often fails on a bag.

I buy them from this site. http://www.drumsetc.com/sub_categories.asp?List=113

I use Humes & Berg Drumseekers. Soft and well padded. I believe these are the top line for soft HB cases. The zippers rule. If you are gigging and making money then invest in good cases. Loading, unloading, shifting mic stands in the car etc and other non-drummers carrying your kit. What if someone dropped it and did not tell you......good cases are worth it.

As far as price, go to a reputable drum shop and have a look. Compare online as well. Good luck!

K

I use both Humes & Berg and SKB. The Humes were the first bags I bought and they are still going strong. I use them when I'm doing local work and KNOW I'm the only one handling my kit. They are much easier to handle and store when working alone.

The SKBs are used when I'm on the road with my band. I know they ain't cheap but neither are those drums.

Use a set of Beato bags for my Yamaha Oak Customs...actually got them in the correct sizes and I can fit the drums without any problems as long as I turn the mounts toward the "hinged" side, the part not zippered. Been using them for 4 years with not rips, or problems.

Bags are inexpensive and easy to use but not for heavy duty use...wouldn't want to drop a drum, etc.

Hope that helps and enjoy the gigging!

I use Protection Racket bags for my DW, the are really heavy duty and well made & i have never had problems with either zips or handles. Mind you I use mine in combination with a hardcase - (made by Hardcase) mainly because my kit travels in the back of a pickup and it always rains on practice night here in Wales!!

Hope this helps - but whatever you do - spend whatever you need to protect your investment - those Gretsch's are fab!

I use the Humes & Berg Tuxedo bags for my DW's, and I can honestly say that they are very durable. I got them in 1993 and they are still holding up nicely. The one for my 14" tom zipper is broken and the bass drum bag has some rips (on the inside) from the spurs, but all in all they have been fantastic and still look great. I use them every time I move my drums.

For 17 year old bags that have got quite a bit of travel on them they have held up very well and I would highly recommend them.

...how much should one be looking to spend? Is paying three hundred a total scam, or is it worth the extra money? Who makes dependable bags that don't fray, rip, etc.? What kind of materials are the best/highest quality and worth spending extra for?

Stay away from anything low end, the hi-end bags are worth it in the long run. Everyones going to China to have their cheap stuff made.

When I told BEATO I would trash his PRO III line (Gold Logo) on drum forums, he jokingly said he'd look for the effects in his profits. GATOR is putting out stuff from China that doesn't match advertised descriptions. Profits are on such a big scale, companies don't seem to care.

Even the hi-end stuff will fall apart after years of use, the thread (stitching) deteriorates. BEATO for instance will totally re stitch a PRO I hardware bag when it fails for like $17 you pay the shipping.

The low end stuff has problems with zippers breaking, material ripping and stitching failing real fast.

I say best to spend on something good.

H&B Tuxedo bags for my Gretschs

V

I just posted this to another thread but it pertains here. I am researching bags and was wondering about drums w/ suspension mounts.
Per HB customer service:

"We do make cases and bags slightly larger to accommodate for any mounts or
hardware you have attached to your drum.

However, if you have the rim mount attached to your drums we do recommend
going up the next size in diameter. (ex. 9x12 w/rims mount system, purchase
9x13 case)"

FYI

I have the GTS mounting on my Gretschs and I use the H/B bag sized for the drum and have had no issues with the mount getting in the way....the bags do tend to stretch a bit over time.

F

I have the cheapo gator bags and honestly they work fine. I also have a kaces snare bag that is more rigid and plush inside and is MUCH nicer. But the gators got me going fast for very little money. I have session series drums with a REAL durable almost scratch proof wrap but if I had a nice finish on the shells I would look further.
In my industry it's YKK zippers or nothing and gator doesnt use them. Don't know who does, but it will say YKK on the zipper car. Any bag maker that uses them is cleary not skimping on materials.
Frankly for a nice kit with a nice finish it's just bad form to stuff them in a Gator bag but for lower end kits they really do work fine. And they are black. They keep the drums well protected in the durango and no one knows they are there.

I have a Gretsch Maple Renown, too.I have a Kaces snare bag, a Humes and Berg (Tuxedo) for one of my toms, and 2 Wolfpak , bass and floor tom. I am having a hard time finding Wolfpak for the rest of my kit, but WILL NOT BUY ANYTHING ELSE. Once you get a Wolfpak bag, you will know why. I am holding out for Wolpak for my other two toms, but they moved overseas, I guess. I called the factory and they stopped production. Trust me, they are awesome! The reason I like them over the other two I mentioned is, 1.) The "corners" of them are super rigid. The other bags feel like "bags". You put your drum in them, zip it up and press with your finger at the corner and it squishes in. Not a whole lot of rigidity pushing back. The Wolfpak are more solid. Prolly shoudn't be considered bags, but soft cases. There needs to be a thrid category. And 2.) I like the lid doubling as an extra drum head holder for whatever size bag it is. Kind of simple design, but the tops of Wolfpaks have a sewn in "drawer" for extra drum head.

BTW, if anyone can help me find a Wolfpak tom case, sizes 8X7, and 12x9, I would appreciate it.

i've been looking at bags for a while now and after long hours of looking and searching, i came to the conclusion, i spent several grand on a drum kit, i'm not gonna intrust it to 1 inch of foam and vynal. i ended up investing in protechtor classic hard cases with foam lining. a lot more expensive then soft cases but some drunk bastard isn't gonna fall on a drum and break it in half either....

If you're on a budget, the Galaxy bags are great. I've used them for years, no issues. One nice thing about them is that they come in a vast number of sizes. You can often get a 5-piece set of them for around $120 or so, then you can get additional bags to suit your needs.

If you have more to spend, Protection Racket. Excellent bags--more protection and soft, fuzzy innards. Their deluxe cymbal bag is outstanding. Very well made stuff.

If I was going to get more bags - I'd probably go for Protection Racket or H&B Drum Seeker. They seem to be the best bags out there.

Levy's used to make great drum bags - but since they started making them in China and changed the materials - the kind of suck now. I ordered some recently to add to what I already had and I sent them right back as they were inferior to the existing ones.

I am on the process of picking up cases to replace all my bags... I am tired of worrying about my drums during gigs. They shift in the car, can get crushed by doors that swing shut without warning, some idiot drops them, it's raining etc....

I figure the extra couple hundred bucks over the bags is worth not having to worry. I'm getting SKB cases BTW... they seem to offer the best protection except for ATA cases.

With several thousands of dollars invested in shells alone - I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I just dropped some loot on a set of Protection Racket bags after comparing them to SKB hard-cases. I'll have them Saturday, thanks to Mr. Just Drums, Shane!

Oh - BTW...

I saw that Protection Racket now has rigid cases as well... They look like the bags but with some kind of frame inside... evidently they are rigid enough to stand on.

Back