which kick pedal to buy?

Apartmentstudios

Getting ready to purchase the Roland td-11kv and need to decide on a kick pedal. Any suggestions? Don't want to spend too much more but I understand you get what you pay for.

A pedal is like a pair of shoes sometimes.
What type of pedals have you used before?

Do you like direct drive or chain drive, or it does not matter for you?
Do you have large feet or small feet?
Heel up or Heel down?

You can go to the local store and just check out a few pedals they have on display. See what feels right, Check out their prices and see if you can pick them up cheaper if you purchase them used.

This will actually be my first kit to practice on and have been only doing snare rudiments with a practice....so need something to start with

This will actually be my first kit to practice on and have been only doing snare rudiments with a practice....so need something to start with

Almost any pedal will probably do for now. If you decide drumming is something you want to continue for a long time, you can always upgrade later.

Take a look at the pedals at the local store, decide what you want, and then go on line to get the pedal used. By purchasing used you will not be spending a lot and you can switch later on.

Try before you buy is the best advice I can give. That and stretch your budget as far as you can.

Buying something extremely cheap might cramp you up in the long run (though there's a view that they'll help you play better on better pedals :/), while buying something in the intermediate to professional range will give you more space to grow.

Depending on your budget, there are tonnes of options from Pearl, Tama, Mapex, Taye, Axis, Trick, DDrum, etc.

- Reggae Mangle

I recently got Pearl P-900 (single-chain, dual beater type) pedal for my Roland TD-11KV kit and it's pretty good. It was also quite cheap.

p900_01.jpg

Previously I had a Yamaha pedal that was included with Yamaha DTX-450 kit and it was not that good. But as was mentioned before, any pedal will do, you try and choose depending on your budget and preferences.

If you don't want to spend too much, I just got a flyer in the mail today from GC, and they have 'green tag' items. Among them are a Gibraltar pedal for 34.99 (USD), a Yamaha pedal for 49.99.

For double pedals, they're showing a DW Pacific 500 for 134.99 and Gibraltar for 149.99.

The only one of those I know anything about is the Yamaha, and I'd say it's definitely worth the money.

Back