How to Remove Hi Hat Clutch?!

BabyBob

Silver Member
Hello,

Can one show me the guide to removing(Take a part) my hi-hat clutch? Mine seem to be stuck on the top hi-hat cymbal. (It came with my kit That way and the seller forgotten the ways to remove it) BTW my hi-hat is from MAPEX...quite old I think, it's from a M-series kit.

Thanks.

Usually, you unscrew a bolt (or nut or whatever it's called) on the bottom of the clutch (under the cymbal bell) and then just slide the cymbal off.

Usually, you unscrew a bolt (or nut or whatever it's called) on the bottom of the clutch (under the cymbal bell) and then just slide the cymbal off.

Mine is stuck...when ever I try to turn it it turns the whole thing...err IDK how to say hahaha

Err this is what it looks like...

mapex-replacement-hi-hat-clutch-also-fits-tama-sonor-[3]-255-p.jpg

When I try to turn the bottom nut thing the whole clutch will turn.

.___.

If you hold on to the top part (with the wingnut sticking out) and turn the black plastic bolt on the bottom, the whole thing turns?

Firmly grip the top half (the end with the wing-nut) and unscrew the bottom (lefty loosey, righty tighty!).

If this will not budge then use some WD40 or other suitable lubricant to help the bottom part to release. If the shaft and nuts and still moving together but the top clamp is holding tight without moving then the metal has failed and you may have to cut it off and get a new clutch. I'd be very suprised if this has happened, though.

Put the clutch on the hihat rod upside down, and tighten it real tight. Then turn the bottom nut which will be on the top. The wing nut should grip the parts for you.

It's just tight. If you hold the chrome part on top of the cymbal firmly, the black plastic nut will come off. Lefty Loosey

My Mapex clutch nut is also very tight and takes a bit of muscle to get off.

If you hold on to the top part (with the wingnut sticking out) and turn the black plastic bolt on the bottom, the whole thing turns?

Ya still will turn like it is connected D:

Firmly grip the top half (the end with the wing-nut) and unscrew the bottom (lefty loosey, righty tighty!).

If this will not budge then use some WD40 or other suitable lubricant to help the bottom part to release. If the shaft and nuts and still moving together but the top clamp is holding tight without moving then the metal has failed and you may have to cut it off and get a new clutch. I'd be very suprised if this has happened, though.

Ok will try that out.

Put the clutch on the hihat rod upside down, and tighten it real tight. Then turn the bottom nut which will be on the top. The wing nut should grip the parts for you.

I like this idea...will give it a shot!

It's just tight. If you hold the chrome part on top of the cymbal firmly, the black plastic nut will come off. Lefty Loosey

My Mapex clutch nut is also very tight and takes a bit of muscle to get off.

What do you mean by Lefty loosey? ???

Ya it is very tight T.T I'd ask my father to try to open it if I can't...as you can see in my avatar I'm very slim...

This seems to be the most obvious question I've heard. Having said that, can you post a picture so we can see the clutch?

Righty righty, lefty loosey!

Turn something right to tighten it - turn something left to loosen it. Or clockwise/anti-clockwise.

Good luck, though. I hope it's not broken.

Hard to tell without actually seeing it, but I think what's happening is that the long inner threaded piece is turning. If that's correct, then first I suggest screwing it all the way in to the top piece (the part with the wing nut). Then you need a way to hold the inner piece steady while you unscrew the bottom nut. You might have to resort to pliers or vice grips or something, which might trash the threads, but the threads at the top (but still below the bit with the wing nut) aren't really necessary for hi-hat operation.

I agree it's just too tight, try to undo the plasic and hold the top of the tilter assembly with 2 pliers on each parts, put some paper tissues in the pliers not to mark or damage the parts.

Here's you picture...

Attachments

• Tilter.jpg
    Tilter.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 3,132
As mad about drums illustrated, where he has "hold this part," tighten that on the hihat rod and then turn where he says "turn" That is what I was referencing in my previous post..

It would help if the OP could put up photos of his top hat inside the clutch. Some clutches hold the cymbal a bit differently than others.

True, but I thought that was it...:)

Maybe the plastic nuts was cross threaded and forced into it's current position, hence the problem... :((

there's some mad diagrams going on in this thread. righty tighty... great

Back