It's sorta rare - but I have a gig coming up!

M

Matt Bo Eder

Maybe not so rare that I have a gig coming up, but the fact that this will be the first time I get to play Eddie Money's Two Tickets to Paradise and Steve Miller's Swingtown.

I've never heard a band play these tunes, and for the last several years I've referred to them as Two Chickens to Paralyze and Schwingtown.

Having never met the band or played with them, the guitarist asked me if I could sing some back-up high harmony on whatever I could. That's trust, if you ask me ;)

...and if you ahem, modify the lyrics when you sing harmony, you will be my new hero!

I played Two tickets back in the day. Swingtown would be a fun tune to play.

One of the bands I play with does Two Tickets sometimes. It's fun to play and I'm always surprised by how well it goes over with the bar crowds.

Speaking of Steve Miller Band, does anyone else here play The Joker? If you do, do you play the crazy, seemingly-random crashes on 2 and 4? Or do you leave those out?

Speaking of Steve Miller Band, does anyone else here play The Joker? If you do, do you play the crazy, seemingly-random crashes on 2 and 4? Or do you leave those out?

If I were to play it, I would put them in just to challenge myself to remember them. They are pretty random, but almost signature in a way.

I feel like I need to bring a trashy china for any Steve Miller stuff, but alas.....

Ya I think so. So many applications of trashy cymbals are not as critical to the sound as this one in my view.

I learned how to play drums listening to two tickets. Wore it out....8 track player.

So how did that work? You'd play the song, and then wait 45 minutes for it to come around again? Oh the good ol days ;)

8-tracks encouraged cruising!

I used to play The Joker with my first rock band (back in the early to mid-90's), and I would play those crashes on 2 and 4. I recall that when the Foo Fighters "opened" for my band back in 1995 (it was the first club gig they ever did), Dave Grohl stuck around for our set, and he actually requested this song, so we did it for him.

I used to play The Joker with my first rock band (back in the early to mid-90's), and I would play those crashes on 2 and 4. I recall that when the Foo Fighters "opened" for my band back in 1995 (it was the first club gig they ever did), Dave Grohl stuck around for our set, and he actually requested this song, so we did it for him.
Now that's a cool story!

Dave is a very cool guy. Every interview I've seen him do he seems very genuine and down to earth.

My band does this. I play them, but not every one of them, its screws up my mates, they don't like to much crashing. If you listen to the record, the drummer is over the top with those crashes on 2 and 4 (I think on a china?) but it really adds to the song. A lot of fun this song.

An ya Swingtown is really difficult for my simple-minded, slow right foot.

Back