Reading for an ensemble

davidr

Hi everyone, just a question about reading. I just got an email from my uni saying that they are looking for a drummer for a production. Applicants should have played in an ensemble before and have good sight reading. I have neither of these, but I want to get involved in something similar further down the line. Can anyone tell me what "good sight reading" would amount to? Does it mean I can learn a beat from a page quickly or should I be able to play whatever is put in front of me as I go? I can do play the the first few pages of comping exercises in Art of Bop Drumming just reading them off but this is only one line (snare drum). Does anyone have any advice as to what counts as good sight reading and how I should go about getting there?

Cheers

David

I am assuming you mean orchestra pit for a play or a choir when you say 'production', and not something like a percussion ensemble concert.

"Reading Music" would mean to be able to understand dynamic marking, DS al Coda and directions like those, knowing how to read notes and other markings on the bar lines, being able to memorize the music so you can look up and the conductor for cues, and so on.

If I were you I would look for charts of musical solos or other charts for the intrument(s) that you would be playing for and see if you can play through them as written. Then try out.

Let's take the easiest part of your question first. Playing in a production, with an ensemble means there will be a director. If you don't have ensemble experience this will be different for you. You need to read your part, and follow the director as he may want you to play softer, or play out. Sometimes he may que you as to when he wants you to play an important part. He'll just point, so you need to read and be ready.

Sight reading is being where you're supposed to be when you play. This comes with practice and experience. You need to follow the music like a road map. Play fast or slow, loud or soft. It's all on the part. Often you'll have multiple percussion items you have to play. Tambourine, cymbal crashes, etc.
I've done shows where I played mallets, timpani and drum set. I would suggest you try to get the music beforehand, this will help you avoid a train wreck. Good Luck.

Back