Super Kick 1 or 2?

Bull

Gold Member
I've got a 16 x26 kick. I'm thinking of trying an Aquarian Super Kick head. My reso isn't ported. I haven't decided between a SK 1 or SK 2. Any opinions?

I've got a 16 x26 kick. I'm thinking of trying an Aquarian Super Kick head. My reso isn't ported. I haven't decided between a SK 1 or SK 2. Any opinions?
I like both of those but I put my beater through the SK1 on my 24" kick. I then switched to an SK2.
Perhaps I should have put a bass drum patch on my SK1 before I played it.
Like I said IMHO both are good sounding heads at least for rock.

I want it to be pretty open sounding. With a drum that big, I was thinking it might need need the control of the SK2. I don't plan on any internal muffling and just a felt strip on the reso.

thanks.

I have no expirience with a 26 SK I or II or III, but I would think that it might kill all of the beautiful noises that come out of a kick that size. I have used them on 22 and 24s, but we don't get along too well. I prefer less muffling.

do not use an SK II on a 26" kick. I tried one on mine, and I could never get it to sound even half decent- just a really weird sound I can't describe. I love those heads on a 24", but for some reason they just don't cut it on a 26". Try a coated Remo PS3 or PS4 if you wanna go pre muffled. These days I prefer a single ply coated with a rolled up towel duck taped to the head for volume and cut. A coated emperor would give you a deeper sound, and more control.

Back