Wolf Alice

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Why there isn't a section on the forum where we can introduce new bands to the drumming community?

Personally I would like to discover bands I didn't know via other members here...

... anyway, back to this thread :)

Wolf Alice is a rock quartet from North London who as just released their first album "My Love is Cool", they also released two EP's "Blush" and "Creature Songs".

wagold.png

The band consist of:

Ellie Rowsel: Vocal & guitar
Joff Oddie: Guitar & Vocal
Theo Ellis: Bass & Vocal
Joel Amey: Drums & Vocal

Wolf Alice mixes folk, grunge and electronic elements with vintage 90's indie rock.

I went to see them live in Birmingham Thursday night with my daughter and it was amazing, they were on fire :)

Excerpt from the Reading festival 2015:

Giant Peach https://youtu.be/tw7euGwkgmc?t=36m11s

Blush https://youtu.be/tw7euGwkgmc?t=28m15s

Moaning Lisa Smile https://youtu.be/tw7euGwkgmc?t=40m50s

I know that from the 28th of September they start their USA tour, so if any of you want to catch them live check their tour dates.

Joel on drums :)

Attachments

• Joel Amey.jpg
    Joel Amey.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:
Very cool. I kinda' like that! It's refreshing to see a drummer using just a crash and a ride!

My first thought was that the frontman has great hair - but then realized that it's a frontchick! And quite an attractive one, at that!

Seriously, though, it's an interesting band. Does anybody else hear the chord structures used early on by the Who and the Kinks? I like them. If they develop their song writing ability a bit more by utilizing catchier "hooks" in the choruses they will be more interesting still.

Thanks for posting the links. I don't listen to new bands at all because there are so many over-hyped, boring conglomerations, so I appreciate your linking us to a good one.

GeeDeeEmm

Interesting band with a refreshingly simple vibe :)
Very cool. I kinda' like that! It's refreshing to see a drummer using just a crash and a ride!

Glad you liked it guys :)

Look in the mirror ...Isn't that you?

LOL!

Good idea, I am so ignorant of new bands...
Thanks for posting the links. I don't listen to new bands at all because there are so many over-hyped, boring conglomerations, so I appreciate your linking us to a good one.

Well, I have a secret weapon to detect and discover new bands: my 21 years old Daughter :)

It usually goes like this: Dad, you should listen to (insert new band name), they're very good, you'll like them... and most of the time She's right, like in this thread :)

I've been a "lurker" on DW for a handful of months. This is my first post and what got me typing on the keyboard is that Wolf Alice ROCKS!!!

Saw them in a small North Park bar in San Diego back in may. Met all the band members as there was no back stage. They're here again in early October and I'll be at the show. These guys are going to be BIG.

Supported my band a couple times back in the day when they were a folk band, before they went heavier.

Great band though, fine debut album.

I've been a "lurker" on DW for a handful of months. This is my first post and what got me typing on the keyboard is that Wolf Alice ROCKS!!!

I'm glad to hear (read) that this thread pull you out of the shadow of lurking and participate within the forum.

Welcome to DW Otto :)

Supported my band a couple times back in the day when they were a folk band, before they went heavier.

I actually love their "softer" material, Ellie's voice is like an angel :)

Turn To Dust : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfivAoppb-w

I'll upload some pics from the gig at Birmingham later...

My first thought was that the frontman has great hair - but then realized that it's a frontchick! And quite an attractive one, at that!

Seriously, though, it's an interesting band. Does anybody else hear the chord structures used early on by the Who and the Kinks? I like them. If they develop their song writing ability a bit more by utilizing catchier "hooks" in the choruses they will be more interesting still.

GeeDeeEmm

And it may help it the band would turn down to about 9 so we could hear the "frontChick"

Thanks Mad About. Found DW while researching my purchases of a Supraphonic and Black Beauty this year. Love the insight & ideas that DW generates for me.

I actually love their "softer" material, Ellie's voice is like an angel :)

They were a lot softer back then, had two female singers and all if I recall correctly.

Glad to see they are doing well for themselves. Have made the transition to 'heavy' (in places) well. 'Bros' is one of my songs of the year.

I'll upload some pics from the gig at Birmingham later...

Here it is, a couple pics taken from my Daughter's mobile phone, it shows how near the stage we were, right by the safety barrier, can't be nearer than that :)

Attachments

• Wolf Alice 10.jpg
    Wolf Alice 10.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 277
  • Wolf Alice 20.jpg
    Wolf Alice 20.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 271
Awesome show last night. We are still so lucky in the USA as WA is till playing very small venues (400 last night in San Diego). This was the best $15 ticket I think I've ever bought. Just bumping the thread for a little more WA exposure - these guys deserve it!

Attachments

• 8899 #2.jpeg
    8899 #2.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 249
I'd like to catch them live at some point. Nothing slated for the Boston/New England area soon. Maybe they came and I missed them? I think they'd go over well in this area.

Why there isn't a section on the forum where we can introduce new bands to the drumming community?

Personally I would like to discover bands I didn't know via other members here...

... anyway, back to this thread :)

Totally agree! There should be a Sticky thread for that. I've found a number of great bands on this site.

I went to see them live in Birmingham Thursday night with my daughter and it was amazing, they were on fire :)

Your daughter has great taste!

Back