New Opeth song leaked!

I really want to get into Opeth, but haven't listened to much of them. What's a good album to start with?
I not into the death metal screamo stuff either, so an album without that would be great.

Daredrummer listen to their last album Wastershed.............simply superb

I really want to get into Opeth, but haven't listened to much of them. What's a good album to start with?
I not into the death metal screamo stuff either, so an album without that would be great.
If you're not into screamy stuff check out the album Damnation. Watershed is also a great album but there is a small amount of growls.

-Jonathan

All right thanks guys, I'll check em out.
Yeah I have one song of watershed and it's pretty epic.

Is it pretty much damnation on that's not death metal? And the stuff before damnation is more so?

I don't know why I just can't get into Opeth.

I love the bands that are friends/associated with Opeth, like Katatonia, Before the Dawn, Black Sun Aeon, and such, but I just have some metal block when it comes to Opeth themselves. I even saw them open for Dream Theater and it did nada for me.
I have so many friends who love them, I always feel like I must be missing something.

Great song so far!

Not sure how I feel about the "100% clean singing" part (quoted below)... But I'm sure it'll be fine.

What album to start with? I would vote for Still Life or Blackwater Park. But if you can't get past death metal vocals then it'll be tough. Damnation is great and all, but its just one album, and not really representative of the majority of their music. Well... I guess you could just wait for this one :)

DED, I know how you feel. I'm the same way with Dream Theater and especially Meshuggah.

Swedish progressive metal stalwarts Opeth’s 10th album Heritage — which follows 2008′s Watershed and 2005′s Ghost Reveries — is their strangest, most genre-melding to date. For starters it includes guest spots from Swedish flautist/composer Björn J:son Lindh and Weather Report percussionist Alex Acuña. As you may have guessed, it also includes 100% clean singing. Main man Mikael Åkerfeldt refers to Opeth records as “observations.” Of this one he notes, “t feels like I’ve been building up to write for and participate on an album like this since I was 19.” Fittingly, he says he listened to a bunch of Alice Cooper over the past year. There’s also something youthful about the exuberant blend of jazz upswings, “God is dead” lyrics, and stop-on-a-dime tempo shifts in lead single “The Devil’s Orchard.” On the album it follows the two-minute scene-setting opening piano piece “Heritage,” a song Åkerfelt says was inspired by Swedish jazz pianist Jan Johansson and Swedish folk music.

Can't say I would notice a big change from their most recent album to this song, since the only Opeth record I've heard is Orchid. I need to start listening to more of their material!

So far I find the new album rather dull,

It sounds to my ears like they have emulated too much of their own prog sound which has been diluted by a huge nod their influences.

It might grow on me but at the moment the album seems to lack something which results in it being quite boring.

Back