Your life's soundtrack...?

smithy78

Hey, i'm new here.. pleased to meet you all... Ok, if you had to pick say 8-12 songs that have influenced/affected you the most through your life(musically or personally); the songs you can relate and identify most with. Ok here goes, it would probably vary sllightly from day to day but here, but for now:
Bob Dylan- Masters of War
Jimi Hendrix- Red House, pali gap
Nirvana- Dumb
Daniel Johnston- Life in Vain
Lynyrd Skynyrd- Simple Man
Bob Marley- Three litlle Birds
Todd Snider- Alright guy
Muddy Waters- Live the Life I love, Champagne and Reefer
SRV- Scuttle Buttin

I could go on, but I shall leave it at that for now......

What about you guys?

hrmm... 8 - 12 songs that influenced me or changed my life. well there have been several that meet that criteria so i'll try to explain why on each one.

Murder by Death - Devil in Mexico
This was the first song I was introduced to that was truly outside of the Christian pop genre and opened my eyes to massive amounts of music I had never heard and couldn't wait to try. It was actually the album "Who Will Survive and What Will Be Left of Them" that opened my eyes, but since we're doing songs and this is the first song I figured it would make sense.

Interpol - Obstacle 2
This is the song that got me to start looking past the drums in a song and looking at the lyrics. Lyrics like "I'm gonna hold your face and toast the snow that fell" and "Friends don't waste wine when there's words to sell" completely captivated me.

Interpol - Say Hello To The Angels
This song is along the same lines as the previous song, both are on the "Turn On The Bright Lights" album, because of the lyrics. I honestly can't understand alot of what he is saying but the way he said it caught me.

Eminem - Kim
First off, this is an incredibly violent song that has caused alot of controversy. But I discovered it in the middle of my divorce. As I started learning what Eminem was going through I realized that I was going through alot of the exact same things. As I explored further into his music and realized the entire range of emotions he had gone through that I was currently going through. All in all this song helped me through one of the hardest times in life and led me to definitively say that Eminem is really the only rapper I can stand.

The Blood Brothers - Ambulance vs. Ambulance
This song led me to start discovering harder music. I won't quote the lyric that really grabbed me out of this song since there are kids who read these posts, but I still say to this day that it is the best lyric in music. Most people don't agree with me, but w/e it's my opinion. =D

Radiohead - Electioneering
Interpol taught me to listen to the lyrics, Radiohead taught me to listen to the entire composition of a song and fully capture the beauty of a song.

Led Zepplin - Communication Breakdown
This is where I discovered the great Bonzo. Nuff said.

The Mars Volta - Drunkenship of Lanterns
This entire album completely blew my mind. I discovered John Theodore which completely changed my view of a drumset and led me to start discovering other incredible drummer. i.e. Buddy Rich, Billy Cobham, Steve Gadd, on and on and on.

Travis Barker
I'm not putting a song on here because even though Travis's playing amazed me, it was a comment from him that forever changed my line of thought while playing the drums. The comment was: "Drums are more than a beat machine". Think about it next time you're playing with your band and tell me it doesn't make you change things.

And that about does it. While i could mention more, I'll stop myself here as I've doubt anyone has actually read my post the whole way. hahaha, at least I know I would've stop reading half way down. Stupid selective ADD. =D

Hey, i'm new here.. pleased to meet you all... Ok, if you had to pick say 8-12 songs that have influenced/affected you the most through your life(musically or personally); the songs you can relate and identify most with. Ok here goes, it would probably vary sllightly from day to day but here, but for now:
Bob Dylan- Masters of War
Jimi Hendrix- Red House, pali gap
Nirvana- Dumb
Daniel Johnston- Life in Vain
Lynyrd Skynyrd- Simple Man
Bob Marley- Three litlle Birds
Todd Snider- Alright guy
Muddy Waters- Live the Life I love, Champagne and Reefer
SRV- Scuttle Buttin

I could go on, but I shall leave it at that for now......

What about you guys?

Welcome to the forum.

My soundtrack would be a month to month affair. I usually tire of an album after 1 month and never listen again. So my life soundtrack would be inspired from styles.

Early years, 0 to 10. Glam metal, Slade, The Sweet, Suzi Quatro etc. Phil Spector Wall of sound productions, Motown etc. Drummers would include Hal Blaine and Earl Palmer and those in the various bands.

11 to 15. Big band jazz and movie soundtracks. First exposure to Zappa. Harder rock, AC/DC, Judas Priest etc.

16 to 18. Classic prog rock, Yes, Genesis, ELP, Gentle giant, Kansas etc.

19 to 25. JAZZ! All forms.

25 to 30. Began Playing percussion, seriously competing with drumset. Began to study world music. Became fascinated with Afrocentric rhythms from around the world. This continues.

Of course there have been many artists I have enjoyed along the way. Too many to name.

Shout it out loud-kiss
Mama I'm Coming Home-Ozzy
Dreamer-Ozzy
Welcome to my life-Simple Plan
Perfect-Simple Plan
Life is Beautiful-Sixx Am
Accidents can Happpen-Sixx Am
Untitled-Simple Plan

Shout it out loud-kiss
Mama I'm Coming Home-Ozzy
Dreamer-Ozzy

It always amazes me when music spans so many generations like that. I liked Kiss and Ozzy eons ago as well.

In fact, I am going to see an LA cover band called "Gods of thunder" They are a Kiss cover band that look and sound very much like Kiss from 1976. They are friends/approved by the actual band.

Can't see KISS live, but these guys will do. Gods of thunder, and 3 opening bands for $18.00.

http://www.gotkisstribute.com/

I'll stop myself here as I've doubt anyone has actually read my post the whole way. hahaha, at least I know I would've stop reading half way down. Stupid selective ADD. =D

Well I read the whole thing believe it or not lol, very interesting, thanks for posting.

Hmmm.. alrighty

In the End- Linkin Park
over the hills and far away- Nightwish
Everlong-Foo Fighters
The night santa went crazy-Weird al (lol)
Finding Home- Saosin
Dead Memories- Slipknot
Land of Confusion- Disturbed
For the love of god- Steve Vai
Dumb all over-Frank Zappa

It always amazes me when music spans so many generations like that. I liked Kiss and Ozzy eons ago as well.

In fact, I am going to see an LA cover band called "Gods of thunder" They are a Kiss cover band that look and sound very much like Kiss from 1976. They are friends/approved by the actual band.

Can't see KISS live, but these guys will do. Gods of thunder, and 3 opening bands for $18.00.

http://www.gotkisstribute.com/

they will be touring with queen sooon

they will be touring with queen sooon

That is a surprise! I did some research, and it's supposed to be "Kiss Alive III" Eric Singer will be on the drums.

And this:
New album (2008-present)

Late 2008 saw the band take another unexpected turn. Over ten years after their last studio album, and following years of denials about ever wanting to do a new album, Stanley and Simmons seemed to have changed their minds. In November 2008, Paul Stanley stated to rock photographer Ross Halfin that a new Kiss album is in the works, which Stanley would produce. Stanley also stated that the album would have a "real 70's Kiss sound" to it.[92] He also confirmed that Kiss would tour North America and Europe in 2009.[93] On November 26 2008, Gene Simmons confirmed the information about a new KISS album and said he expected it to be released in Summer 2009. [94] On November 29, Paul Stanley confirmed to the official Kiss website that the band will be entering the studio soon,[95] repeating the assertion that the new record will be modelled on the band's classic 1970s sound. [91]

Back