THE "BIG" JAZZ THREAD

Finn,
One thing you need to keep in mind is that the Masada stuff isn't and never was strictly for the quartet (nor is it particularly 'Jazzy', often-but I digress), the 'Masada book' is Jewish/klezmer/Phrygian/Sfardic based tunes that he can easily orchestrate on purpose- they were written that way, to be adaptable to whatever he wants them to be. All of this falls under 'Radical Jewish Culture', not neccesarily Acoustic Masada in particular. Just to clarify, you know me=)

When it comes to 'fusion' as in the definition of the word, Zorn is an anomaly. He really does do things differently than EVERYONE else, is heads above the rest and is a total genius.

I think it's completely possible to reverse engineer Jazz music. The problem is, most who are capapble, won't do it. One of the things that makes Zorn so prolific is that he can and DOES do it. On the other hand, most Jazz musicians won't consider arranging Ellington for 4 guitars and 3 drummers or a laptop and theramin even though that would be bitchin, I think. It's all that snobby crap 'Oh, I'm a JAZZ musician, I couldn't POSSIBLY see merit in Rammstein'. What prevents it is the people themselves. Most 'Jeff Hamilton Jazzers' HATE Zorn (I'd wager every last one of them does), think he is a bad musician and has no business playing a horn etc.etc. Of course, it's this closed mindedness that leads people to the stagnancy that is currently occurring in certain circles. It takes someone like Zorn who couldn't care less about money, labels and that kind of thing, but more importantly, it takes someone who hears merit in something so far from Jazz as Napalm Death like Zorn does. If you're a closed minded Jazz guy holed up with only your Blue Notes to keep you warm, what do you know about arranging for NON Jazz stuff? Not only that, it wouldn't even OCCUR to you or cross your mind to do it, I'd wager.

Then, there are of course the psuedo-re-arrangements. Crap you do on gigs because you or someone or all of you are too 'influenced' to know better like Disco How High the Moon, Hard Rock Solar and Reggae Days of Wine and Roses. However, I somehow doubt you mean this stuff=)

Anyway, I say it isn't possible to have another renaissance. The word 'Fusion' is already tainted and you're right Finn, no barge poles in sight. I think this will keep people away, In the malls, elevators, banks, hospitals and yes, the hold music on the phone- the end result of what happens when you attempt to merge rock and Jazz will hang around all musicians necks like an Albatross, serving as a warning to those who might try. A razor wire encrusted bastion, if you will, of how stupid music can sound and how low you can sink....

Ok, but seriously, why isn't it possible? Simple. Less lines. There are less boundries to cross, most things have been done already and 'Jazz' itself is becoming more and more distorted as to its content. There doesn't NEED to be a revival, because it never stopped occurring (fusion in the actual sense, that is), except for the Neo Boppers, but who cares about them anyway? There can't be a resurgence of something that's been infiltrating Jazz for many years. Look at how fuzzy the lines are about 'Acid Jazz' and this sort of thing for some people. Various styles and influences have always been available to the Jazz musician if he chooses to take them and today many are doing so. People like Dave Douglas have been taking steps in all directions at once , you need only to hear 'Keystone' to hear a downright Fusion album from a 'Jazz guy' (which I hated=). There is no break to be made anymore from anything.

On the other hand, it's only when you really mean it does the sublime merging of musics truely occur. This is why, like it all or not, Zorn works on so many levels to so many varied people.

On the other hand, I think the separation you speak of in younger players is indicative of what they're being taught and where/how. As we've spoken about here already, they aren't being groomed to innovate, but rather conform and look backward INSTEAD of forward. No one tells them it's okay to like both- at the same time.

Of course, this is just my opinion and what the hell do I know?

G

Love to be in this discussion Gregg but as you would understand, the water's a little deep for me. Also it's winter here, so I've been keeping warm, tucked up with my Blue Notes (=).

Man, this thread has gone in so many directions since I've last seen it. I guess I'll change the subject. I've been using Peter Erskine sticks and I really like them but after a few weeks of using them the tips chip away. What do you, all of you, think would be a really great stick for jazz that you can play as hard as you want but not over powering and maintaining an overall light sound? I don't want to go to the stick thread, I want to take it here, in the jazz world thread. Let me know what you think.

TheSteve said:
Man, this thread has gone in so many directions since I've last seen it. I guess I'll change the subject. I've been using Peter Erskine sticks and I really like them but after a few weeks of using them the tips chip away. What do you, all of you, think would be a really great stick for jazz that you can play as hard as you want but not over powering and maintaining an overall light sound? I don't want to go to the stick thread, I want to take it here, in the jazz world thread. Let me know what you think.

I hope this topic keeps going inside the jazz thread because the needs of jazz players are so different to those of the rock/punk/metal guys.

I guess as long as we hit metal things with wooden things we're in trouble with chipping etc. Because of that, I did actually give the Regal Tip 'E Series' jazz sticks a really good go and found them at least acceptable. In fact when the funny little ridges on the nylon tip wear a bit they often sound even better, but overall wood still wins.

Firth's AJ3's and 4's are OK but the nearest thing I've found to the perfect jazz stick is from a small company called Bopworks. I am hooked on their 'West Coast' model which has a nice long taper like the Regal Tip 'E's (which I think is one of the key factors in getting a great cymbal sound). The more weight at the head the worse the cymbal sound IMO. Bopworks shorter and thicker 'Savoy Jazz' is very nice too. Like all wooden sticks they of course wear, but don't seem to chip as badly as some. You have to order them from their site but that's OK for me because I get most of my gear from the states anyway. Having said all that I'm still very interested in what the others on this thread are using. I haven't ever looked at Vater for instance. By the way the Erskines didn't do it for me but there are 2 models and I only tried one. Here is the Bopworks site:

http://www.bopworks.net/

Thank you for the very indepth answer, I will look into that company. I need to try a new stick, something that will sound great and last longer. Thanks, man.

TheSteve said:

I use and have used the Erskine rides for every single thing I've done since they came out, or thereabouts and I thrash the snot out of my gear regularly, more so that any Jazzer except one or 2 that I know of. I also dig it when they wear down cause it gives you a sort of smooshy sound on the cymbals. I especially like it when some parts of my cymbal pattern are normal and some are said smooshy. The tip is the best thing about that stick is the tip so I'd still use them even if I didn't like the sound of chipped tips. Those sticks can even make crappy cymbals sound like gold.

The VF AJ series are pretty good, I used the AJ6's for a while but then returned to my tried and tested PE sticks (which you can clearly see in that pic I posted in the gear section I think) after I realized they were too wimpy.

'Course, I didn't really offer you any suggestions or anything, plus, I replied to a gear question. Someone shoot me now (I only posted 'cause OZ did)...

G

Well... there is this thing... jazz players, REAL jazz musicians very rarely go "the marketing route"... I mean whatever sounds good, whatever makes your sound individual... it is a cliché to think that a jazz drummer uses light stuff always... but what is REALLY hard to find is a jazz drummer using a product "labeled" as "jazz something".

most good jazz drummers I have seen use relatively common sticks... 5As, 5Bs...
A light and durable stick is Vic Firth 8D... I used those for a long while to play whatever music... and they are almost as durable as a 5A, but very light.

I use big sticks (Vic Firth SD10 Swingers). It was a challenge to learn to play them lightly at first, but I got used to it. When I need to really slam the drums it's easier, using a beefy stick like that and all.

theduke86 said:
PE sticks are fantastic. I use them for everything. When one tip wears down, I just rotate the stick a little bit, voila.

HAHAHA, I thought I was the only one that did that!

My thinking about Jazz language...please read!

So, an hour ago I was in the Billy Ward forum and I have shown my playing there. Also we discussed about JAZZ.
This is what I think about Jazz: I think it is a life attidude, I think it is a "life standard"
Someone in Billy`s forum said that for example Jack DeJohnette or Billy himself also understand the language of Jazz.
I know that Jazz is a culture and a tradition, it is such an old music style...and I know that there is a jazz language but I don`t know whether I think right.
I always try to make interpretations about the Jazz song I`m listening to. I ask question to myself like:
What situation could this song decribe?
What feelings are there?
What attitude describes the musician here, can I translate musical situations/signs, so that for example a linear piano rythm/melody describes the linear life or being of a human being?
Do the dynamics mean something for the situation?
What does the single instrument mean for the situation, how does it influence the situation?

Are there parts in the song?

so: (1. loud and stressful - 2. the climax - 3. the collapse of the situation, first part - 4. the rebuilding of the situation) <---------just an example for a jazz tune

Is there an open end or a "happy end"?

these are my main question I ask myself when I listen to a Jazz tune.
Also when I play Jazz I try to play it with my whole devotion and emotions.

so, is my thinking about Jazz right, do I have the right attitude? Also: Is my thinking good for being 15 years old?!

thanks,

Karl

Last edited:
Re: My thinking about Jazz language...please read!

I think you're right Karl !

But what do you think about "jazz is a life attitude" ? What's the attitude of a jazzlife ?

superbatmat said:
But what do you think about "jazz is a life attitude" ? What's the attitude of a jazzlife ?

just meant that you not just have to play Jazz to be a real jazz player, I think, you have to live with jazz, around the clock, you have to live for it.

so, more thoughts would be appreciated...

Karl

Last edited:

I think you are thinking about this too much.

well there are two ways to think of Jazz in my opinion. One that is very calculated and technical. I only use this when playing in a big band format because I have to blend with so many musicians. I can't really go off the wall too much. However, ina trio or duo format, I feel pretty much free to do whatever I want almost. So in that format, it becomes about emotion. Much the way you described. I like to think of it like this. I'm painting a picture. And the notes I play are the colors, and the rythym is the brush stroke(I'm talking about guitar btw). And I am painting a picture, and the object is to make something beautiful.

That's just me thougjh

Karl,
I think Jazz "language" in this context means the actual vocabulary that the jazz greats are playing. Any style has it's "cliches" or common vocabulary that it's musicians are expected to know. In the case of a jazz musician- this means having a solid grasp of bebop and post-bop vocabulary. This can be done by studying the music, whether it's just time playing, or solo vocabulary. Specifically, for me, this means buying fifteen-twenty albums (at least) of all the great past musicians and spending a few months on each of them. The general consensus of most Jazz drummers and educators is that you should really spend time analyzing and studying records that Max Roach, Roy Haynes, Philly Joe Jones, Art Blakey, Tony Williams, Elvin Jones and Jack DeJohnette play on. All of these drummers have a very distinct style, in the ideas they play, in their phrasing and in the way they physically hit their instruments. You can do this by using a transcription, or if you have great ears, by just listening to a lot of the specific drummer. So far, I've really, really checked out Max Roach and Art Blakey (and a little Tony). That means I've spent 3-4 months minimum checking out transcriptions, learning their vocabulary, and trying to listen to an album worth of their playing... every day. That's how you really learn the tradition of Jazz drumming and develop your own distinct way of thinking about things. Well, how you develop your own style is a much much more complicated question than that, and there are people on this forum who's expertise I defer to on this matter. Anyways, that's what I think they're trying to communicate. That the language is something that you can do your homework with, rather than a loftier more esoteric goal... which is just fine too- jazz means different things to different people.

Hunter said:
I think you are thinking about this too much.

of course I don`t always analyze the jazz tunes I`m listening to, or try to make interpretations! haha, this would be awful. but when I listen to a tune many many times I try to analyze the feelings, the situation. This really helps me to understand jazz better, especially free jazz.

Karl

theduke86 said:
Karl,
I think Jazz "language" in this context means the actual vocabulary that the jazz greats are playing. Any style has it's "cliches" or common vocabulary that it's musicians are expected to know. In the case of a jazz musician- this means having a solid grasp of bebop and post-bop vocabulary. This can be done by studying the music, whether it's just time playing, or solo vocabulary. Specifically, for me, this means buying fifteen-twenty albums (at least) of all the great past musicians and spending a few months on each of them. The general consensus of most Jazz drummers and educators is that you should really spend time analyzing and studying records that Max Roach, Roy Haynes, Philly Joe Jones, Art Blakey, Tony Williams, Elvin Jones and Jack DeJohnette play on. All of these drummers have a very distinct style, in the ideas they play, in their phrasing and in the way they physically hit their instruments. You can do this by using a transcription, or if you have great ears, by just listening to a lot of the specific drummer. So far, I've really, really checked out Max Roach and Art Blakey (and a little Tony). That means I've spent 3-4 months minimum checking out transcriptions, learning their vocabulary, and trying to listen to an album worth of their playing... every day. That's how you really learn the tradition of Jazz drumming and develop your own distinct way of thinking about things. Well, how you develop your own style is a much much more complicated question than that, and there are people on this forum who's expertise I defer to on this matter. Anyways, that's what I think they're trying to communicate. That the language is something that you can do your homework with, rather than a loftier more esoteric goal... which is just fine too- jazz means different things to different people.

yep, agree with your post. At the moment I`m listening to Jack DeJohnette, Keith Jarrett and Gary Peacock (the CD is called "Inside Out"). I`ve listened already when I`ve got it ( 1week ago ) and every day I listen. It`s nice to analyze his style but not just Jack`s, also Gary`s and Keith`s, I mean the character of the trio.
and what I meant was that you can also make interpretations for jazz tunes, to ask some questions (they are in the start post).
I think it is like a musical poem, you can analyze it so well. You just have to think about it...

Karl

Actual jazz musicians never, ever, use the term "jazzer." It makes me cringe just to read it.

Back